TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 05, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 05, 2011 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Yay Mamie, I'm thrilled for you. As others have said, I often check out your recommendations. This is a match made in heaven and you will be FANTASTIC! Congrats, my dear friend. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Thanks all!

I just finished reading The End of Everything by Meg Abbott. It's one of those books that I liked but didn't like, all at the same time. It had some weird twists and turns.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just sent my picture in for my blog avatar. Why is it we hate our own pictures so much?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hey Mamie, with your new hot-bod, you should be PROUD. So when can WE see it? After all, we're your original devotees and fans. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Justin took it with the web cam on the lap top and he attached it to my email review. I have no idea how to bring it up! LOL I am going to have to get a lot more computer savvy.

And I may have lost 19 pounds, but my body is anything but hot. (Unless you count the hot flashes!)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
If you find the pic in the email, and then SAVE it to the PICTURES folder on your hard drive, you can then upload it anywhere you like, here, FB, wherever. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Stolen Innocence... survival and so much loss.

Starting Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Truimph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson and Susy Flory. Michael and his guide dog, Roselle, made it down 1,463 steps to safety..

Denecee

09-05-2002

Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
finished Children of God by Mary Doria Russell
very good read

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Stiltsville by Susanna Daniel and absolutely loving it so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm really liking this book and this guy! It is not just about 9/11 but about his whole life.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 22, 2011 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Last Block in Harlem today, and was surprised by the ending. Good read - but the kindle edition is HORRIBLE; there are tons and tons of words that are supposed to be one word but they're split in two -- like de lete or un likable - drove me crazy because it disrupted my reading fluidity!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
just started Shania Twain's "From This Moment On". It has been mesmerizing so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Truimph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson and Susy Flory.

This jumped around but covered 9/11 but also his entire life, which is at once amazing but amazing in how "normal" he is, and then just how much he has done to promote equal access for all. He is blind and his wife is confined to a wheelchair.

So there is memoir, issues, ideas, resources and a great story all rolled up into one.. highly recommend this.

StartingInside Scientology: The Story of America's Most Secretive Religion by Janet Reitman.

Teach, I think I had the same beef with Last Block.. terrible formatting.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Friday, August 26, 2011 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports - I'm a sucker for baseball books and mid-20th century histories (though this isn't a history book, strictly speaking). Not being a Yankees fan, I don't exactly love the book but it's interesting.

Keep Watching the Skies! American Science Fiction Movies of the Fifties - not a book you'd want to drop on your foot. Holy cow, is it big. In spite of the title, this includes some early '60s movies too as well as some international films. As a reference book, I guess this has its merits but I couldn't help thinking the author was taking the subject a bit too seriously. I wanted to tell him, "Look buddy, this isn't Citizen Kane. It's a Three Stooges movie with a rocketship and a talking unicorn. Lighten up!" Of course, I didn't read the whole book, just skimmed through it, looking at the entries for personal favorites or ones I've heard of but never seen. And every time I turned a page I was afraid there'd be a picture of a spider but I didn't see any *whew*. Saw some giant scorpions and sea slugs and a bat-spider-something mutant but they didn't bother me. Oh and now I want to see The Man in the White Suit with Alec Guinness.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished an ARC of a YA novel titled All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin. I enjoyed it and I think it's probably the start of a series. A young girl in 2083 is in charge of taking care of her family when her father, a organized crime boss and chocolatier (yes really) is killed.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished How Can I Talk if My Lips Don't Move - great little book from an autistic teen. It provides a ton of insight that will be especially helpful in teaching.

Now I'm reading Food, Inc. (only $1.49 yesterday on Kindle!) and Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaimin (this is the collection that has "Baby Cakes" in it - on of my favorite stories to use in English class).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, glad you read that boook.. How Can I Talk.. I thought any teacher could read it through different eyes in terms of all that was done by his mother and various resources for him to learn and he expresses just how it worked for him.

I'm still reading the book about Scientology and I swear it is really scary to learn the whole history of it.. talk about thugs and bullies.

And one comment made me think of Suri Cruise.. parents were told to see their children as small adults and the lack of a regular education within Scientology families was perhaps more marked than for kids in the FLDS.. not to mention that kids as young as 12 were left by their parents to be raised to be "Messengers" (flunkies for L Ron Hubbard) and see to his needs.. such as some kids just followed him around, holding his lighter or his ashtray!).

Arrgh.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
My first review is up!

http://booktrib.com/reviewers/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Very cool, Mamie!!

Love your picture but I'll never forget the one of you holding onto that big spear outside of Spengers

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I should have had a spear!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 29, 2011 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Informative. Succinct. Excellent. Brava Beautiful Mamie!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Very nicely done Mamie, you should be very proud of yourself. Congratulations on a job well done!!! Look forward to reading your next review.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Thanks guys. You are very sweet.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, September 05, 2011 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Right now I am in the middle of reading The Book of Names by Jill Gregory and Karen Tintor. Lots of action and a unique premise--every generation 36 righteous souls are born and in their hands lies the fate of the world. Someone wants to kill them all.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/172763.The_Book_of_Names

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 05, 2011 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the book about Scientology.. wow.. scary hold they have on so many people.

Back to 9/11 and another survivor story.. I'll check the title and add that in.