TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 03, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 03, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 30, 2011 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Merry, you'll love it! The K3 is so cute! My K2 never seeme heavy to me.. heck I was using a DX before the K3 came out.. and the K3 just made me smile! Still does.

====

Yes, not that I think you'll need it, but a new book just came out (for Kindle), Kindle 3 for Dummies.. co-authored by the owner/admin and one moderators of Kindleboards.com, Harvey and Leslie. I suspect it will be nothing short of excellent.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
I did order a case....just did it at the same time. I really hate to shop, so I tend to buy everything at one time. K3 for Dummies....I will keep it in mind if I have questions!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
So how do you browse the web on the Kindle? I can see how to do things in the app store, but can't figure out how to pull up a browser. I found something on the internet that said something about an "experimental" field from the main menu, but it doesn't seem to be on mine.

And since I am starting to fill my Kindle, what is your favorite free book you have downloaded? I'm loading up for vacation! Just started with Bronte sister books since I knew they were in the public domain and I haven't read them in forever.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Yes - click on "menu" - then choose "experimental." Three things should appear: "Web browser," "Mp3 player" and "text to speech." Click on "launch browser" to the right of "Web browser" and it will open up a web browser as long as your wi-fi or 3G is turned on. Once you're in the browser, if you click "menu" again, you can go to a set of bookmarks or click on "go to" and input whatever URL you want.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Cool, Teach....for some reason it wasn't showing before. I kept thinking "There has to be a way to do this!"

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Glad it worked. :-) I once called Amazon support because I couldn't get the MP3 player to play music. However, when the CSR asked me if I had put any music on my Kindle, I about died laughing -- he said as soon as I did, it would play just fine!

FWIW - if you ever get so stumped we can't answer it on the boards, Amazon's phone call service is fantastic. I've used it two or three times for various things w/my Kindle, and they've solved the issues every time.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And Kindleboards.com with over 50,000 members.. they are like this place, eager to answer questions and help.

I guess there are forums on Amazon but last I heard they could be pretty snarky sometimes.

Hope you are enjoying your new K!!

Free books.. but of course some are only free for a short time (but may become free again too)

I loved One Hit Wonder and Raising Jake both by Charlie Carillo, but there are so many good ones..

Rissa

03-19-2006

Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 4:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just saw that The Source in Canada is selling the Kindle!! Hoping this means they also start stocking some cases. LOL Now if a Cdn retailer would start carrying The Nook which I am really interested in. Otherwise I might just jump on the Ipad backwagon this Sept when Apple releases it's new editions. I am due to replace not only my old Kindle but also my cell phone, nano, laptop and GPS so thinking I might finally give in and get an Iphone and Ipad which would combine all the above into just two devices. I love my Kindle but the idea of one device is tempting.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm hoping the Amazon pads will be a reality soon.. per the rumors they will!!

I hope you soon can have even more choices in Canada.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I have all 3 readers and find reading the iPad with the cover inverted into a semi-desk slanted sitting on my lap is just wonderful. I feel like I am reading a real book with 2 pages open.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 20, 2011 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Rissa - do you know if the Ipad has the same quality reading screen as the Kindle? You know how with the Kindle you can read at the beach or in bright light - is the Ipad the same?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 20, 2011 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ipads are backlit like computers, so the readability varies in sunlight. You can get those protective screens/anti-glare screens for it, though.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 20, 2011 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Thanks Teach!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 20, 2011 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Reenie, what Teach said.. the Kindle3, KindleDXGraphite, the newest Nook and some Sony readers have the newest in e-ink called pearl.. and it is like reading from paper, or close to that. Completely different than backlit screens or and better than the older e ink screens.

But many people have no problem reading from a backlit screen..

And of course most of the e ink screens are not touch screens.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Glad Teach and Sea beat me to it because I had no idea. LOL

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well I took the plunge and got the latest Kobo which is a pearl touch screen device. It is a nice little device. I must say that I am enjoying (or will find it easier) not having stacks of books collecting dust, Kobo has great prices compared to the printed books and it's super easy to get a new book. I think you can also borrow books from the library (have you done that Mame?).

I still find it a little disconcerting to read on a computer type device. It doesn't quite feel like "real" reading. Strangely enough the other thing that I miss is page numbers. I think these devices are going to have to add some sort of page numbering system that will allow readers to cite references, particularly if they are ever going to be used for research. I'm also a bit worried about physical book stores and libraries eventually disappearing or shrinking. I love browsing through books or sitting in Starbucks at one of those locations and enjoying a coffee. I'd hate to see that aspect of reading disappear.

But overall, I'm enjoying it! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I think you CAN do library books on that device and I'm sure you'll be really happy with it! I didn't know KOBO had the Pearl e-ink yet, but that's great and very readable. I suspect you will adapt pretty quickly and not be noticing the different feel very soon.

I've been living without page numbers for a few years now but Amazon has added the page number capability for Kindle this year.. but it is mixed and up to the publishers, I guess, so some books have them and some don't. Mostly I forget to check. The book I just finished was over 500 pages, however.

And indeed, I cannot imagine the prices I was paying for dead tree hardbacks before I got my K1!

How do you download onto the new Kobo?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Jimsky, yes I've been dl-ing from the library for a while now and love it. Also... Kobo has FREE and cheap too. My last 3 were around 3.99 each.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's great Mame!

To answer your question, Sea, you can either transfer the books via a download to your computer and a USB cable or directly via Wi-Fi (they don't offer a 3G version yet but I'm not that desperate for books anyway). It's nice because it updates the books on my iPhone and iTouch as well which is convenient if I don't have the reader with me.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I was made an offer I couldn't refuse...when our Alltel switched to AT&T, I got a new Blackberry Curve. This past week, I got a letter saying that the Torch wasn't available when I made the switch, but since it was now available, I could get it w/no additional cost/changes in contract as long as I sent my other one back.

I took them up on it b/c there is a Kindle App for the Torch!! I don't think I'll use it much, but when I was standing in nasty lines at the grocery store today, it sure was handy! :-) Now I can Kindle anywhere - even if I forget to bring it along.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sounds great, Jimmer! Teach too!!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Sea, I hadn't noticed the page number thing before, but just now when I went to add a bookmark, I noticed when I hit the menu key that the bottom of the page showed page 200 of 450. Cool! Thanks for pointing that out!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Merry, that was a very recent change.. with the K3 they show less on the top and bottom lines so as to show more text and a cleaner look but then the Menu button reveals more info than in the past.

I like that they keep tweaking and adding and by "they" I don't just mean Amazon. BN has also added to Nook functionality and I am sure the same is true of Kobo as well. But here in the US it is BN and Amazon continually meeting or topping each other and that's good for us users.

And Apple and other apps.. well we start to see Kindle apps and games.

I just love the latest calendar app which is actually quite useful (esp for those of us not carrying smart phones).. earlier attempts didn't work so well but this one.. or actually the second version which added in functionality and was available for free download if you had the first version.

Have to admit that I'd been away from page numbers long enough that that feature was a yawner for me but still it was wanted and now we have it (for quite a few books).

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 4:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Page numbers tickled English teachers like me who love to encourage kids to read AND want them to write papers about those books. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
When we did charts for awhile of pages read, there are ways to calculate pages for a book that is only available in e format and just go look up hard or paperback # of pages..

But I don't mind having it!