TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 29, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 29, 2011 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Finished all three Hunger Games books. Loved them!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 4:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Mamie, "Goon Squad" was weird. One reviewer mentioned its dark humor, which I usually like, but I didn't find the humor. The people in the book were mostly a miserable bunch. I did like the writing style, once I got past the first couple chapters and figured it out. LOL

I just started "Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It" by Geoff Dyer.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I've just started The Kennedy Detail by Gerald Blaine. He was a Secret Service agent and writes about his years with Kennedy. He wasn't on duty November 22, but he talked to agents who were.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9517200-the-kennedy-detail

Denecee

09-05-2002

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
just finished The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell and will read her sequel to it called Children of God but first I am reading the 5th book of Game of Thrones called A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
I'm so happy with my kindle!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished a fun book, The Bake-Off by Beth Kendrick. I guess it would be considered chick lit but it was good fun.

I'm now reading Jennifer Weiner's new book, Then Came You.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, I'm emailing my email addy (it is also in my profile)

To be honest, I have no idea how to handle borrowing a book, though..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sea,

I fill out a form on Amazon w/your e-mail in it. You'll receive an e-mail from Amazon telling them you have a book. I think you have to access your Amazon account, then it will download the book for you.

The loan time is 2 weeks (not a problem the way you read), but it's like anything else. If you weren't done, just don't turn on the wireless, and you'll have it as long as you want.

I'm off to check my e-mail and get it sent to you. :-)

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Can you loan every book you buy? Or is it just some of them?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
War, as I understand it, it is up to the publisher, just like TTS.. Text to Speech.. where some books have it and some don't allow it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, looks like I have the email. I have to go work out but will grab it later!! THANKS!

Of course if there is any book you want to borrow and I have it.. you get it.

We could even list books here. I cannot possibly list all I have, couple thousand, and so many of mine probably aren't of interest to others and then some of those that are might not be lendable, but certainlyh if I see a wanted book and I have it..

Anyway we could have a thread here on a small scale and there are sites where people can list books too.

I wonder if The Help is lendable? That is a much wanted book and I do have it (I think.. I mean I read it but was it on kindle? I think so.) I have The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and King's Under the Dome, so I have a few books that many people read.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 22, 2011 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
War - to find out if a particular book can be loaned, go to "manage my kindle." Click on the title of the book, and to the right you'll see "Actions." If the book can be shared, one of the items on the drop down menu will be "loan this title." If it's not there, the publisher doesn't allow it.

Nope - the Help isn't able to be loaned out. I've noticed most of my "new" books don't offer the feature, but older ones (or ones that have been in paperback for a while) can be.

Books can only be loaned once - a rather odd restriction that I hope they adjust sometime. Three to five times seems reasonable.

Sea - thanks! I've got so much reading to do this summer, it may be a while, but I love the idea of a thread where we post what we have or what we'd like to see if swaps could be made. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, have the email.. Had started another book so am working on that plus have been really busy this week but once I get ready I'll be hitting Amazon to stake out my time with the book, though you are correct, once I start, I'll finish pretty quickly.

I'm reading a book I got for free written by a man who is autistic.. a series of many short essays that give us his thought processes, and how his mother kept working with him.

Interesting for sure

How Can I Talk if my Lips Don't Move? by Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay. He was born in India, they also lived in UK and now he lives in Texas. He's an author also (besides this autobiograhical effort).

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 8:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
That sounds fantastic; I'll have to look it up.

I don't think it matters when you accept the loan - since no one else is reading it, it won't affect anything on our family account.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 2:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I d/l this morning and will be starting soon, probably while waiting for the doctor this afternoon. Very cool!!

And for those of you who have read this series (Hunger Games, etc.) I found a book on Kindle

The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games by various authors.. $3.99.. plan to read it next after Mockingjay,

Escapee

06-15-2004

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I read Riding Lessons by Sarah Gruen yesterday. Not bad, got a little sick of the main character. I've read the second book, Flying Changes, didn't know there was a book before it that went along with it. It was a fast read.

I think I am going to read her Ape House, next.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
In the middle of The Help and don't want it to end. I am trying to savor every page because it is one of the best books I have read in a while!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Escapee, I enjoyed Ape House and I was really surprised I liked it as much as I did.

I enjoyed Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner. I also finished Tatum O'Neal's book, Found. It seemed to be a lot of the things I'd already heard about on their TV show.

I'm now reading Serendipity by Louise Shaffer.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I bet you'll have it done tomorrow, Sea! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 25, 2011 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well maybe.. I do sit with a patient for her chemo tomorrow for several hours but there is lots of activity, people in and out so we end up talking, which is just fine. Wed I wait for someone in radiation which is fast but she might see the doctor too, and Thurs I wait for another doc check with a third pt. But of course I'll get some reading done at home too.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I really enjoy reading but often do not find the time, however, my dh and I were in Montana these past 2 weeks and I devoured two Grisham novels; one called "The Testament" (1999) and the other, "Ford County: Stories by John Grisham" (2009) which is filled with about 5 short stories. I enjoyed both immensely. Grisham is such a good story teller!! I read both during a 3 day stay along the Yellowstone River.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Finished Ape House, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't like the way it made me feel. Can't explain it. I think I am going to move onto the White Queen and The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Eggie, Grisham or something similar seems perfect for a vacation like that!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Listening to the audiobook of the latest Traveling Pants book, Sisterhood Everlasting. I didn't like it at first, but it is growing on me.

Reading How to Be Good by Nick Hornby. I enjoy his writing a lot. Think it is the sarcastic self-awareness of his characters.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I read the sample of the Kennedy Detail - and now I need to find the full book (won't pay 14.99 for a Kindle book - ever). It's not available for audio download from our library, so I may actually have to find the deadtree book at the library.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Friday, July 29, 2011 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I hope you find a copy, Teach. The Kennedy Detail so far a very good read. Fascinating to see how things were done back then.
Right now I am also reading The King's Daughter by Barabra Kyle--a big juicy historical fiction from my favorite era--Tudor England.
http://www.curledup.com/kingsdbk.htm