TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 17, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 17, 2011 users admin

Lottaluv

10-16-2004

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lottaluv a private message Print Post    
I read The Shining a few years ago. First book that actually scared the bejeezus out of me. I also read Misery to see how much different it was from the movie. A great read as well.

I also just finished reading The Hunger Games (just the first book of the series so far) and Just Kids by Patti Smith.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I am reading The Sparrow by ?? don't know cause my DH has my kindle! He is reading the 5th book in Game of Thrones which I cannot wait to read myself!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
AH, Denecee, do I see another Kindle in your future? Nice that you both like to read.

I'm still reading about Basho, though I mis-stated the century.. he lived in the 1600's not 1500's.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
My current audiobook is The Informationist by Taylor Stevens. Hadn't heard anything about it when I grabbed it off the library shelf, but I am enjoying it. Part of it is due to the narrator of the audiobook, who is very good. The book is about a woman who is sort of an international woman of mystery, kick butt superhero who can become a chameleon to get whatever information she is searching for. Think the book could have been edited a bit better (is going a bit long), but really like the characters and would read another book about them. Hadn't heard of the author, but when I googled her it said she had been raised in a traveling cult (Children of God) that didn't believe in girls getting education over age 12. Sounds like someone with a lot of stories to tell!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh Children of God (or The Family) was a REALLY nasty cult.. They used young people to seduce others for money.. it was called "flirty fishing"

River Phoenix and siblings and family were part of The Family in I think Mexico.. which may explain the sad angst and death of River Phoenix.

I imagine there are stories to be told.

I did ask a cult expert about that cult since a friend had memories of that name and the expert said it was one of the worst..

Buggie

07-11-2005

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Buggie a private message Print Post    
Reading...The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Great Read...the whole novel is a series of letters..informative with great characters! Has any one else read it?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That's a good one!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Buggie, I read it and found it unique and memorable.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 4:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Buggie, I loved that book!

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I am reading Robert Wagner's biography and one about Elizabeth Taylor(The Most Beautiful Woman In The World by Ellis Amburn/Pieces of My Heart By Robert Wagner) It puts me in Hollywood of the 1950s and sometimes they cross each other with their stories--which gives you two views of a story. Quite interesting overall.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read She Drives Me Crazy (Celia Rivenbark) in about 20 minutes today (free for Kindle BTW). I'm definitely going to get more of her books. She's like Laurie Notaro only Southern. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 12:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Teach, I read her book "We're Just Like You, Only Prettier." It had some very funny stories in it.

I'm reading Summer Shift by Lynn Kiele Bonasia. I seem to be on a eastern shore kind of reading spree right now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the Kindle Short about Basho and Haiku and finally am starting The Hunger Games.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Let me know tomorrow if you need the third one, Sea! :-) (I'd also be interested in how much sleep you get while reading all three of them! LOL)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL! Well, I tend to get tired and I'm so behind on TV, esp BB, they just added a fourth day of driving patients this week and tomorrow Critter and I go to the vet, then Friday night I go see Men Alive (OC's gay men's chorus) perform, Saturday I have training all day long, Sunday I usually go out to eat and hang out..

So.. no delicious days to just read.. and next week looks to be busy too.

I have to decide if I want to pay the current price of the second book and if I do I'll let you know immediately so I can "reserve" the third from you :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
No reservation necessary - everyone else I might have lent it to has read it, so they won't be borrowing it. It's yours whenever you want it!

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Sea, I think she will write about life in the cult down the line so it will be interesting to read the "fiction based on reality." In this first book they establish that Michael, the main character (female), was born to missionary parents, but she was out on her own as a teenager (which is when she learned some of her "survival" skills.) The first book revisits people she knew in the teen years of her life, but I read an article that said the second book in the series delves into the early years a bit more. This sort of life is so removed from my life, that I find it interesting that people (especially kids) live that sort of reality.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 14, 2011 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
More than you'll ever want to believe.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, July 15, 2011 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Familyhood by Paul Reiser. It was a sweet little love note to his wife and sons.

I'm now reading Escape by Barbara Delinsky.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, July 15, 2011 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mamie, ESCAPE is on my must read list, but am waiting for it to drop in price a bit.

Scout

01-19-2005

Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Just finished Jaycee Dugard's memoir - "A Stolen Life". Hard subject matter to read at times, but she tells her story very well. She's a pretty amazing person.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Hunger Games and downloaded the second book.

Yesitsme

08-24-2004

Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Yesitsme a private message Print Post    
Latest audiobook is Night Road by Kristin Hannah. A heartbreaking story, but a good read. Had to take it out of the car to keep listening!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 8:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sea - if you e-mail me your e-mail addy, I can "loan" the third book whenever you're ready. My e-mail is teachmichigan at yahoo dot com. :-)

Finished The Eagle Has Landed today, now reading La Lacuna. Love Kingsolver, so I'm quite excited to get into this one.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Mame, Escape was just okay. Not one of her best.

I started reading The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon and I don't want to put it down!