TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 12, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 12, 2011 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I've been reading Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone novels. Was (and still am) looking for mysteries for my aunt and figured she'd like those (she loves them, we've been splitting the cost for the kindle books) and it's one of the few mysteries I've been able to get into. Same thing, looking for something a little lighter and not quite as involved as the series I usually read.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm starting Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand.

Prisonerno6

08-31-2002

Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Prisonerno6 a private message Print Post    
I'd like to "thank" Teach and anyone else who recommended the Hunger Games trilogy. Started reading the first on Sunday and stayed up until 3 A.M. that night finishing it (the "just one more chapter" syndrome). I've had to ration the next one, because I need my sleep, and I keep reading far later than I should!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 08, 2011 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
LOL -- If I remember correctly, I read all 3 books in 4 days - and that was because I had to actually leave the house during that time for a family thing. There is not even ONE good stopping point in that trilogy!

My galpal at school read them at the same time, and when we got done, we had a hard time remembering whether a few events were book two or book three! We could tell you the story but not where the books ended.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Trudging through Dorothea Benton Frank's latest "Folly Beach." Not her best in my opinion.

Next up is The Help based on everyone's "like" of this book.

What is the name of the dog (and rain?) book written from the dog's perspective that several recommended a month or so ago? Thanks!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Art of Racing in the Rain..

Pamplemousse

09-28-2003

Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamplemousse a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Help love it, hope the movie does the book justice

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Today I started "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan.

"The Help" is one of my all-time favorites!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Mak, I had to put Goon Squad down for a while. I couldn't get into it.

Beach, I'm sorry to hear that Folly isn't so good. I have that on my TBR pile. And you will absolutely love The Help!

I finished Silver Girl. It was a good beach read. I'm now reading The Beach Trees by Karen White and really enjoying it with just a few chapters in.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Currently reading ONE DAY by David Nichols, as a paperback. Enjoyable, but not setting my world on fire yet, contrary to all the hype though.

(Still slogging through Ashley Judd's bio on my KOBO e-reader.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Living off the Grid: A Simple Guide to Creating and Maintaining a Self-reliant Supply of Energy, Water, Shelter.. and More by Dave Black.

Actually some interesting info but many technical details to be skimmed over.

Now reading a Kindle Short The Heart of Haiku by Jane Hirschfield.. really enjoying it.. back in the 1500's with Basho.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sea for the book title!

Mamie, Folly Beach was a little too predictable and so much back and forth that it was hard for me to stay focused on it. Others may like it, but ehh for me.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
Finished two books this week. The first was Goldie Hawn's memoir. For me, it was the ultimate "Don't judge this book by its cover" book. It is a beautiful book. The cover photo is gorgeous and mesmerizing. The text is printed in a beautiful blue violet and several pages are blue on the blue and looks like you are reading stationery. The tone of the book, the stories she chooses to share, and just her voice throughout were a real turn off to me. I thought I would love this book and ended up have to gut through it in short spurts because it just got so annoying. I would not recommend it.

The second was an "as told to memoir" by Lucille Ball. It was discovered by her daughter in her lawyers papers after both Lucy and Desi were gone. You can hear Lucy's voice and it's just like she is sitting next to you telling you this story. I literally couldn't put it down for long and ended up finishing it in less than 24 hours. I couldn't have enjoyed it more. It was candid, honest and really helped you to understand the woman, her relationship with Desi, and her ultimate success. Lots of little pearls of wisdom from lessons learned as well. I would HIGHLY recommend this one.

Now I am starting "Child Star" by Shirley Temple Black.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I imagine the Lucille Ball book was interesting. It seems to me she was quite extraordinary.

--------------------------

I have a question for Stephen King fans out there. Believe it or not I have never read a Stephen King novel. Given that I'm more a fan of science based stories than purely supernatural stories (if that makes any sense), can someone recommend a good one to start with (without giving away any of the plot)?

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Shorter or longer, Jimmer? Some of them are 1,000+ pages (The Stand and It) and some are shorter (Pet Semetary, Carrie.)

I haven't read any of his new stuff in several years (I go through horror phases when I catch up ever so often, lol,) so can offer only older stuff.

The Stand is great, one of my favorites. I also love IT and read that anytime I get into horror, no matter how many times I've read it, I still have to leave lights blazing and have trouble falling to sleep for a couple nights, lol. Darren has a problem with IT, says that it is a bit confusing cuz there are lots of flashbacks, one part you're in the present, next you're in the past, but I thought it worked.

Right off the top of my head, those are the two I'd recommend. But, given you're not as into the purely supernatural it might be better to start with one of the shorter ones to see if you like SK, The Shining, Cujo, Christine, or Pet Semetary.

Oh, he also has some collections of short stories but it's been so long since I've read any of those I can't remember much about them.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
His short stories include things like The Green Mile, Stand by Me, and The Shawshank Redemption - not horror. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks War. I tend to like longer books as I'm a fast reader.

I had no idea that he wrote those, Teach. Amazing. I know you said they are short but about how many pages are those?

I've never read The Shining but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I probably should have a look at it because I've always been curious about why King didn't like the movie.

I have a tiny confession. Although I said that I haven't read a Stephen King novel (which is true), I have started reading Under the Dome and I'm enjoying it so far (but I'm not very far into it yet). That's one of the things that has got me interested in his other books.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Oh heck! How could I forget Stand by Me! Wait, except the short story was titled the Body, right? I've got the book, but it's in a box in the garage right now. I've seen both the Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption but haven't read either one of those.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
It's been years since I've read the interview, Jimmer, so I may have details wrong. But at the time the mini-series of the Shining was made, he liked it much better than the first film (the one uh, was it Kubrik? did?) because the mini-series was more true to the book.

Here's more I found, it is wikipedia, so take with a grain of salt: Response by Stephen King

I have one or two of his short story collections, there's maybe 4 stories in each and the book is probably 400-500 pages altogether. This is going off memory though, lol, so again I could be wrong.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Under the Dome was good, glad you are enjoying it, Jimmer. And The Stand is great and I think there is an expanded version so look for that.. It.. Misery

And his biography which I THINK is On Writing is quite good.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, July 11, 2011 - 8:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
We were watching sci-fi channel tonight (start of new season for several shows) and they had endless previews for Haven, which is based on King's Colorado Kid? Never read it, but love the show it's totally freaky.

Anyways, the previews for the season have a little boy in a rain slicker, trotting down the street and reaching into a storm drain and a little later a terrifying clown with sharp, pointy teeth holding a handful of balloons in one hand and a hatchet in the other. Shiver ran all the way up my spine, especially since I'd just recommended IT! Darren and I caught it at the same time, I think I said "OMG" and he said "Pennywise" and then Caleb wanted to know what we were talking about (he loves Haven) and got a promise that first thing tomorrow I'll head to the garage to find IT so he can read it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - Now you've got me hooked. I'll have to read IT too.

Glad you liked it, Sea. It's off to a good start. King's characters seem quite real. I like his style.

Interesting about The Shining (the movie). I think it's one of those movies that has become increasingly adored over the years. Interesting about King. I watched the mini-series (which King thought was good). He thought Nicholson wasn't right for the role in the movie and I thought the woman who played the Mom in the mini-series wasn't as right for that role. Too pretty.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, it is good, but The Stand is amazing, though I haven't read it in years.

And your Kobo or any e reader is just super for these really long/heavy books!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
You're a mind reader, Sea. There are a few books that I have that I haven't read in years and they are huge and heavy. I was seriously thinking of getting them again on the e reader. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Stand is my all-time favorite King book. I enjoyed Under the Dome. My only criticism of his books is that it seemed eventually, they all ended up being about aliens in the end. You are good and scared throughout and the endings were let downs.