TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 07, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 07, 2011 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Julie, have you seen the movie My Sister's Keeper?

I look forward to the movie of The Help!! I think many of us would snap up a sequel.

I'm thinking Huger Games might be my next one to read.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Help today and loved it! A sequel would be fantastic. :-)

Now I'm reading Jack Higgin's The Eagle has Landed.

Sea - be sure you have all three Hunger Games books ready to go - there is NO stopping in between any of them! :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I hated how they changed My Sister's Keeper for the movie.

I'm reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. It's so good. It's about a woman who forgets everything when she wakes up in the morning because of an accident in her 20s. Her husband is by her side helping her, or is he? She writes a journal that her husband knows nothing about with the help of a doctor who calls her every morning. It's a good one!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'll stop until the books stop drop in price, I'm thinking. Maybe I should wait to start.

Mamie.. I have mixed feelings .. I mean I hate that they changed the ending but I kind of hated the other ending too. But it is a pretty significant change and you have to wonder why.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hmmm... I think I got all of them for $5 - are they higher now? Let me look to see if they're "loanable."

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Okay - I can loan them, but unfortunately, I've loaned the second one to someone else before, so it's not eligible any more. However, if you get the first and second, I'd be happy to loan you the last one (Mockingjay).

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I'm currently reading "Where Men Win Glory" by Jon Krakauer. A very good read so far.

This is a huge change of reading genre for me. After my brother died unexpectantly in mid-January, I read about 6 books written by Mediums giving me information on the afterlife. These were excellent reads for this hurtful time in my life.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Teach! Right now I'm starting a free book and we'll see where I go but eventually I certainly plan to read that trilogy.

Eggie, I'm glad you found those books to help in some small way with that very difficult loss of your precious brother.

I'm afraid that particular book of Krakauer's did more to piss me off (at him, mostly) than entertain, but it still was informative.

Eggie, do you have an e-reader? I could envision you with one in your purse :-)

So what I just barely started reading (been reading the paper and my NYTimes Latest News Blog and watcing Wimbledon and the Casey Anthony trial a lot) is a nonfiction book

Living off the Grid: A Simple Guide to Creating and Maintaining a Self-reliant Supply of Energy, Water, Shelter.. and More by Dave Black.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Aw, Eggie, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Glad to hear that you have found solace in the writings of a sage author. Wish I could give you a huge hug.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 4:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
"Niv" was good but illustrated a significantly sadder life than you would think from reading his own autobiographies.

I do strongly recommend David Niven's autobiographies - "The Moon's a Balloon" and "Bring On the Empty Horses." I have never laughed so hard while reading non-fiction in my life. The man knew how to tell a story, and he had a million of them. Mostly about classic Hollywood.

Just beginning "The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson." This should be interesting after having read Tab Hunter's autobiography and other biographies of actors managed by Henry Willson.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 4:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
The Hobbit

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 5:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Have you read the trilogy, Dogdoc? I've read it but I haven't read The Hobbit and I was wondering if you (or anyone) could tell me how it compares (no spoilers please though)?

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 6:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I'm almost finished Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman. If you like the Dr. Deleware series or just a good murder mystery, this is good.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/jonathan-kellerman/mystery.htm

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ashley Judd's: All That Is Bitter and Sweet.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jimmer - I've read both Hobbit and the trilogy. Hobbit is less complex, more a series of adventures, less dark, and easier reading - we used to use it in the freshmen lit. class. My DS - an avid reader - listened to the unabridged audio Hobbit when he was in 3rd grade, and had read the physical book by the time he was in 5th (and the trilogy by the end of the year). He loved all of them.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Teach, out here The Hobbit is required 6th grade reading. Or at least was when my kids were in 6th (Dakota just finished 7th, so not that long ago.) She had a pretty hard time with it, not only being a struggling reader but because it was a genre she wasn't that interested in. Hard enough to find interest when it was beyond her reading comprehension level, doubly hard when she had so little interest in the book to begin with.

Oddly enough, we were just talking about the Hobbit this weekend (Caleb was watching one of the LoTR movies.) At the time he read it, he told us he had enjoyed it, but this weekend he swore up and down he had never read it. We argued back and forth, lol. Darren and I had both read it at the time he did and we'd sit and discuss it at dinner with him, even Dakota got in on it telling him that's how she knew she wasn't going to like it before she read it because she'd listened to the three of us talk about it! Caleb started reading it, got about 4 chapters through and said, Ok, I remember this.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Teach and War. Do the events in The Hobbit take place before, during or after the trilogy?

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Before, quite a while before the trilogy if I remember right.

As an aside, The Hobbit was the first movie (cartoon version) I remember ever seeing in the movie theater. I was probably 4 at the time.

ETA: Bilbo Baggins is one of the main characters of the Hobbit (I don't think that's really a spoiler is it?)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Before - it's the first book that explains how Bilbo ends up with the ring.

I'm not surprised we had it 3 grades higher - we live in a rural, high poverty (2nd or 3rd in the state), high alcoholism rate area w/almost 20% unemployment. Only 13% of our county has a college education (and yup - that would be our town lawyers, doctors and teachers). We work hard, and by their junior year in high school, we generally score about the state average on standardized tests, but we have to "meet them where they are."

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Teach. That sounds like fun reading.

That must be a tough area to teach in but the results must be satisfying as well.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Oh, to be honest about it, I argued like heck about Dakota reading it. It wasn't just her either, her English class was the lowest level 6th grade class, kids just like her who scored below basic on the tests and were struggling with reading. I wasn't arguing they shouldn't have required reading, just against that particular book, because at that time it was just beyond Kota's ability.

I was really preaching to the choir too, cuz her teacher had been arguing the point for several years that it was beyond the skill level of his resource classes. Most of the classes, they'd assign chapters to read one night and then discuss the next day, but in hers, they took one or two days to read the chapters outloud after they'd read at home, and then the day of discussion, so it was taking three times as long as the regular classes. That one was really miserable.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 6:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) Sometimes the "powers that be" don't listen very well to the teachers in the trenches. Did Kota ever try listening to the audio version? It was actually enjoyable - and believe me, we listened to all four books at least a dozen times over the course of about 4 years - it was this vicious circle of Harry Potter, Tolkien, and Redwall books!

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i just finished that book Mame and after reading Naomi's & Wynonna's books, and hearing Naomi after she read the galleys on her show that it was all true, it really made sense. i skipped a bunch of her stuff about her trips to foreign countries to help this and that charitys. i was more interested in the Judd family stuff.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Llandi, it's interesting and she seems so honest and genuine but the book is so disjointed its not quite as easy a read as I'd hoped. Oh well. I find the best parts to be her overseas stories! At some point I'll have to read Naomi's and Wynonna's books as well. Saw bits of one ep of their show and found it kind of boring, but will try again if its still on.

Best bio I've read in a while was Meredith Baxter (Birney's) book UNTIED. Took a bit to get into it, but I REALLY enjoyed it.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm so superficial...I'm re-reading all of the Susan Elizabeth Phillips books I can get my hands on this summer...I just feel like reading funny light books while I try and fend off the Texas heat, and her's are some of the best! I stumbled across a treasure trove of them in a used book store a couple of weeks ago and bought every one...even the ones I had already read!