TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 02, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 02, 2011 users admin

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Teachmichigan...I recently read "The Art of Racing In the Rain"...I loved that dog!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read it recently too.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I loved the dog, but the blatant "words of wisdom" in parts annoyed me. Stick w/the story - we'll "get" the life lessons if the story is well-written! I did, however, bawl like a baby at the end b/c we are in the midst of trying to make a decision about a dog we've had for 14 years who has horrendous arthritis in her hips and has taken to pooping in her bed at times. It hit way too close to home!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, that is difficult..

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I am currently reading W.E.B. Griffin's The Brotherhood of War series. There are nine books, but I'm on #7. If I had a Native American name, these days they would call me "Nose-in-Book".

Lycanthrope

09-19-2002

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lycanthrope a private message Print Post    
Just finished the novel, "I Am Number Four" by Pittacus Lore. I saw the movie first, so I was surprised by the complexity and the depth of the novel. I shouldn't have been, because I know how most movie adaptions don't live up to their novels. Anyway, it was an interesting book, more of a summer novel, IMO, with big action once the bad guys found the hero...2 love stories, one between Four and Henri, one between Four and Sarah...and the cool formation of a friendship between Four and Sam...Six isn't as prominent in the book as she is in the movie, but she is cool and probably will fill an older sister role in future novels for Four...Henri was much more engaging in the novel...the backstory of Lorien and the war with Mogadore was a lot more fleshed out during Four's training sessions...just a very light, fun read about alien conspiracies, wars, with action and romance mixed in...I recommend it...and there is an excerpt from the next book, "The Power of Six", at the end of the book, which I assumed referred to the individual Six, but it apparently refers to the remaining six Lorien Garde because the excerpt is from the point of view of Seven, who has been raised in a Spanish convent...damn, I can ramble...sorry if this wasted anyone's time.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Beach, I didn't enjoy Summer Rental. It just didn't pull me in for some reason.

I'm now reading The Tiny One by Eliza Minot.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Water for Elephants (LOVED IT!) and am now torn - do I read The Help or The Lacuna next? I'm leaning toward the former since I've heard so much about it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 24, 2011 - 9:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Both good books.. Lacuna is longer and requires a bit more concentration but you'll want to read them both. The Help is just wonderful.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Think I'll start w/the Help then, as I'm still fully in summer mode. :-) Thanks!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Enjoy!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Loved The Help!

I'm now reading Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan.

Queenie

07-09-2007

Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Queenie a private message Print Post    
I just finished " Someone to love us" by Terrance O'Neil.
It was about what he and his brother went through during their childhood in fosterhomes.
Very sad book. Glad I read it though because I always say everyone has a story to tell. If he didn't tell his story, then many children could have slipped through the cracks in the system.

Supergranny

02-03-2005

Monday, June 27, 2011 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Supergranny a private message Print Post    
@Marysafan...you really made me grin with "Nose-in-Book" I guess mine would be "Buds-in-Ear" then. (I've been listening to lots of books lately)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 12:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Half-Assed: A Weight-Loss Memoir and I quite liked it!

Now started he novel, Waiting for Spring by R.J.Keller. Paid $2.99.. I think it might have been a Kindleboards Book of the Day..

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I'm in the middle of The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson by Robert Hofler. A fascinating look back at Hollywood of the 40s and 50s and Henry Willson the man who managed the careers of Rock/Tab/Troy and Guy. http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Man_Who_Invented_Rock_Hudson.html?id=yMMlpx4d_qcC

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Ooooh, that sounds good, Cablejockey. I'm going to order it from the library. As I recall that dude was some piece of work.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading "Sisterhood Everlasting" by Ann Brashares. It's the final book in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series and it's sad!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm currently reading My Name Is Memory. Odd but interesting. It's also by Ann Brashares.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Sea, LOL, love that title!

Mamie, I am slogging through Summer Rentals. I hate that it is so blah and slow-moving, her other books were so much fun to read.

I have Dorothea Benton Frank's newest book, Folly Beach, that I am going to read next.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
Revenge of the Radioactive Lady

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Beach, I have the new DBF too. Not sure when I'll read it though. I told you Summer Rental just didn't do it for me.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 6:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Goddess--let me know what you thought of it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Waiting for Spring by R.J.Keller. Long book and a little dark at times but a good and detailed story, for sure. If the author writes another book, I'll check it out.

Julieboo

02-05-2002

Saturday, July 02, 2011 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Julieboo a private message Print Post    
I loved The Help. Wish there were a sequel to it. I just finished The Hunger Games and ordered the next 2 to the trilogy. Started the Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper. Also just ordered Unbroken.