TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 08, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 08, 2011 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, May 23, 2011 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Currently reading The Goodbye Quilt by Susan Wiggs. It's a good book but way too melancholy for me these days. The next book will have to be light and chipper.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
How is it Mamie? I love him too and want to read his book if you think it is a good one.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I've enjoyed it. He's a very upbeat person. I love reading about the old TV show and Mary Poppins.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Gave up on Eva Braun (not like me), there's reason why more isn't written about her . . . there's nothing to tell. Moved on to a bio of Theda Bara, haven't learned anything new and am almost finished with it. Next up: the new Cleopatra bio and "Hitch 22," Christopher Hitchens' autobiography (should be a tough read, but worth sticking to - he's my favorite brainiac and columnist/journalist).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 10:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This book, mentioned above, is really good and currently is only $1.91 on Kindle..

Well if anyone deserved to be given up, it is Eva..

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 2:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
i am currently reading Roseannarchy by Roseanne Barr and All That is Bitter and Sweet by Ashley Judd. I'm very lucky that I have our local library and it carries new books! wish it had Rob Lowe's and Shania Twain's new books.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 4:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Finished with Judd. In an epilogue that might have been better placed at the beginning Ashley writes that parts of the book are essays and editorials both previously published and unpublished. That explains the different styles!!

Ordered GAL's recommendation and dh says he will fight me to read it first, caught his interest as well.

Currently reading: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Isolated by Mexico's deadly Copper Canyons, the blissful Tarahumara Indians have honed the ability to run hundreds of miles without rest or injury. In a riveting narrative, award-winning journalist and often-injured runner Christopher McDougall sets out to discover their secrets. In the process, he takes his readers from science labs at Harvard to the sun-baked valleys and freezing peaks across North America, where ever-growing numbers of ultra-runners are pushing their bodies to the limit, and, finally, to a climactic race in the Copper Canyons that pits America’s best ultra-runners against the tribe.
About a quarter of the way in and it's interesting enough.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 5:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Oh, terrific Rissa I'm sure you'll both enjoy it. I sure did.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm now reading So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman. It's about the murder of a girl in a little town called Haedon and it's told in each chapter by a reporter, a mother, the actual victim and maybe? the killer. I'm not sure. I'm not that far into it yet.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I was very disappointed in So Much Pretty. Very wordy and just lacked something for me. I didn't care about the characters at all.

I'm starting The First Husband by Laura Dave and so far, really enjoying it. I loved her book, The Divorce Party.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Friday, May 27, 2011 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
Finished reading "Sailors to the End" which was the story of the USS Forrestal fire back in 1967. An excellent read for Memorial Day. Heroes all. I'll never forget them.

Still slogging through Dr. Zhivago. It's really good....it's just a bit s-l-o-w.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 27, 2011 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Love in Condition Yellow: A Memoir of an Unlikely Marriage by Sophia Raday.

I thought it was excellent and had good points for how to actually listen and appreciate people with very different views..

I'm planning next to read a Kindle Short by Tim Gunn, Shaken, Not Stirred: How My Father's Habits Soothed Him -- and Drove the Rest of us Crazy.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, May 27, 2011 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished The First Husband and just loved it! It's chick lit but not chick lit. It's got characters that are so real and so kind. No snippy characters in this one. It left me with a few tears and a happy heart.

I'm now going to a thriller with an ARC of Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens. A woman in search of her birth parents finds out that her father raped her mother and is a serial killer called the Campground Killer. Her birth mother was his only surviving victim and he's still alive! It's like an episode of Criminal Minds.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Tim Gunn's short about his father.. kind of sad but helps explain the way Tim is as well.

Reading a freebie that is based around a trial involving HIV/Aids.. Are You Positive? by Stephen Davis. Readable but the science is wacked..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Never Knowing was okay. Not as good as her first book and it dragged in parts but not a bad read.

I just finished a wonderfully creepy book, Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon. It kept me up late into the night reading it and I couldn't get to sleep for a bit afterward!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Picked up "Under the Banner of Heaven" from the library today. For some reason they shipped in the large print edition, so the fundies are yelling at me. Haven't really started it yet, though, still wading through the quagmire of that poorly written Cleopatra bio. Where on earth have all the decent editors gone?

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Reading the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series and then I will start The Hungar Games.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning finishing Night Road by Kristin Hannah. I had to see what happened! I enjoyed it very much though the character of Jude was getting on my nerves. I think that's the sign of a good book when you become so emotionally involved with the characters.

I'm now starting Mudbound by Hilary Jordan.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Mamie - I'll be quite interested in your thoughts on Mudbound. One of my AP Teacher cyberpals is the mom of the Hilary. Hilary has a second book coming out shortly, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed Mudbound - interesting characters and a time period I'm interested in.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have that book on Kindle but haven't read it yet.. I think.. (Mudbound)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, June 03, 2011 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Mudbound. I didn't want to put it down. I was surprised by a lot of it and saddened by the way one can go and fight for our country and yet, still come back to the same prejudices. I wanted to shake a few of the characters in the book!

I'm now starting The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The Midwife's Confession was a good one. I had a hard time caring about the midwife who kills herself in the beginning of the book but it was a good read.

I am going to start The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Are You Positive? well I'm not so sure the science is wacked at all, and I'll have to read more.. so this was huge food for thought.

Now I'm reading Melissa Gilbert's memoir, Prairie Tales. VERY interesting..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Melissa's book. I liked Alison Arngrim's even more.

I didn't really care for The Poison Tree. It was just okay for me.

I'm going for something fun now. I'm reading Gone With a Handsomer Man by Michael Lee West. I usually enjoy her books. They are always set in the South, which I love reading about.

Marysafan

08-07-2000

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marysafan a private message Print Post    
I really like Michael Lee West's books as well. Let me know how this one is.