TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 23, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: Archive through April 23, 2022 users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, February 12, 2022 - 12:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished another Dollar General book, Kim Harrison's "The Good, the Bad, and the Undead". Definitely a different type of book for me. It was okay. Next book is going to be a typical romance, I think. Going to be asking my sister if I can borrow Go Tell the Bees I Am Gone, soon. Don't know if she's finished with it yet.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, February 15, 2022 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm a third of the way through The Lincoln Highway and loving the story telling. My only worry is not finishing and then having to wait another 11 weeks to check it out again from the library, lol.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, February 17, 2022 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished 56 Days - it was EXCELLENT - but gave The Next Everest back after only a chapter. I have too many papers and with reading all 3 of the novels (my kids pick 1 or 3) at the same time, I'm barely managing. We take a month to read the 3 books, but it's 25% a week, so I'm rotating between them. I regularly have 3 or 4 books going, but not ones that I have to take notes on as I go! (I've read them all before, but we always focus on different things, so I have notes on top of notes! LOL)

And I'm now down to 73 days of school left! (I'd miscounted by 4, so at the beginning of Feb. I was able to lop 4 off! LOL)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, February 23, 2022 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Reading Go Tell the Bees I am Gone. Postponing the other romance book for now. Diana's book is excellent as usual.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 23, 2022 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Good to hear. Still trying to decide whether to save it or read it now.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, February 23, 2022 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have also started The Lincoln Highway and am enjoying it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, February 25, 2022 - 5:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Song of Solomon and The Color Purple in time to keep up with my class and will be finishing The Poisonwood Bible this weekend. Looking forward to reading "for fun" instead of class again!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, February 25, 2022 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Lincoln Highway, probably the best book that I have read in some time.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, March 08, 2022 - 4:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
To anyone who enjoyed The Lincoln Highway, I'd like to suggest the book Pony, by R. J. Palacio.

Like The LH, the book is an enjoyable, simple story that's another "adventure". It's about a young boy whose father is taken away one night by 3 horsemen. The boy leaves the next day with his pony to go find him, accompanied by his companion, a ghost.

After reading The LH, I couldn't help but be reminded that the boy in this story reminded me of the younger brother in the Lincoln Highway. Esp when he would start talking about the great adventurers in literature, like Ulysses.

It's a quick, enjoyable read.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, March 19, 2022 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finally finished Peter May's The Lewis Man - it was fantastic, I just got sidetracked with the class novels. I immediately ordered the third book in the series Chess Man, but since another Kindle library book is due to arrive in a day or two, I'll wait to read the last May book.

I'm currently listening to Othello (again) and started listening to The Great Circle. The latter is not going well - not because of the book but because I've not had long stretches of time to listen. It jumps time frames a bit, and I have just been perpetually confused. It's a library listen, so when Othello is done, I'll start over completely so I can listen without disruption.

I also received 3 interlibrary loan books yesterday that I plan to read over Spring Break: Harvey Fierstein's I Was Better Last Night, Val McDermid's A Place of Execution, and Emma Stonex's The Lamplighters. Three days of school, and then MY vacation starts as I took Thursday off b/c I have to have a temporary crown put on. I am SO looking forward to days away from our admin!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, April 01, 2022 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished An Elderly Lady Must Not Be Crossed which is the 2nd book of The Elderly Lady series. It was an amusing read which perhaps one ought not to say about a murderous octogenarian but there you go. I liked the first book, An Elderly Lady Is Up To No Good also.

I checked out a book called The Guncle as it looked like it would be a fun read. I did not see that it was written by Steven Rowley who wrote Lily and the Octopus which I disliked immensely. I'll give The Guncle a try and hope for the best.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, April 01, 2022 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I read a little of Lilly and the Octopus but I decided I just didn't want to go there.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 02, 2022 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have NOT done all the reading I wanted to this spring break - real life managed to muck things up just enough to keep me off kilter. I just started listening to The Outside Boy (vy Cummins who wrote American Dirt) and am thoroughly enjoying it. I finished The Key to Rebecca on audio a couple days ago. It was a new audio read by Tim Downing, whom I've come to LOVE since "meeting" him on Outlander. I did not get far in The Great Circle, and it was returned to the library. It jumps time (I think), and I was just not focusing on it enough to keep track. I'll give it another go when school is out.

On Kindle I'm reading Damnation Spring which is incredible! I also read Rupi Kaur's Home Body.

From the deadtree books, I'm reading Fierstein's I Was Better Last Night and also enjoying it. Two more interlibrary loans were picked up this morning, so my pile of 3 has now turned into FIVE! I am in some SERIOUS trouble!! LOL

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It's been ages since I've posted any of my recent readings, mostly because work has grown so busy lately -- so time-consuming all that work stuff!

I finally finished the Frieda Klein series by Nicci French, the 8th and final book, The Day of the Dead. It was marvelous, as per usual, and had a very satisfying ending.

S.A. Cosby is a writer who has earned raves in recent years for his two novels, Blacktop Wasteland (his debut), and Razorblade Tears, which was ranked as one of the best of the year in 2021. I snagged library copies of each and read them consecutively. The debut was excellent and I was really surprised that the follow-up wasn't a LOT better based on the raves. The two are quite similar -- lots of bad people doing terrible things and the good guys (reformed bad guys themselves) engage in massive amounts of mayhem to bring the bad guys to a type of justice that has no connection to law enforcement whatsoever. Ultimately, I enjoyed both and will read Cosby third book whenever it's released.

I next finally caught up with Caste: The Origins of our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson, one of the best reviewed non-fiction works I've come across. Every word of praise it's received is completely deserved. I learned so much from it and I highly, highly recommend it as you will not find a more well-researched and well-written book anytime soon.

My third time reading Jodi Picoult came next, Picture Perfect, which is also the third novel she released (1995). I liked it, but I didn't love it and I think her hard-core fans probably didn't rate it in the upper-tier since it was kind of all over the place and the villain of the piece didn't suffer nearly as much as I had hoped. Onto Mercy, her fourth, whenever I can find a library copy.

Last week I finished Putting The Rabbit in The Hat, Brian Cox's delightful memoir. The star of HBO's "Succession" (one of the best TV shows of all-time) is candid and that deserves an all-caps, CANDID. Not since Patti Lupone's memoir have I enjoyed someone who really spills his guts about how he feels about the acting business and show business in general. Similar to Ms. Lupone, he names names while offering unvarnished criticism of his peers. But he also spells out all of his own faults (and there are quite a few). I really hated to see this one end!

You're probably relieved to see this entry end -- so sorry it's so long!

Sugar: I hope you like The Guncle because I loved it -- and -- I, too, tried to read Lily and The Octopus but abandoned it after only a few pages. Please let us know what you think of The Guncle!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It was quiet here for a while. Always happy to see posts in this thread!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" and I'm now onto "An Echo in the Bone" both by Diana Gabaldon. The tv show,Outlander, has been following along with the book, Snow and Ashes. Will be interested to see. The show and the books are all really good.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 03, 2022 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Hi Uncle_Ricky! I was wondering why I hadn't seen a post from you in some while, I'm glad you weren't unwell. Perhaps your work will calm down and allow you more reading and other fun time.

I am enjoying The Guncle so far and have laughed aloud a few times.

Jodi Picoult is an every other author by which I mean it seems that every other book is good. She has written some interesting and thought provoking novels and some duds.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, April 07, 2022 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I quite liked The Guncle.
I saw his other book, The Editor when was returning The Gruncle so decided to give it a try. Hopefully, it is akin to gruncle and nothing at all like his octopus book.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 10, 2022 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm so glad you liked it, Sugar! I really thought you would, but I didn't want to jinx it by saying so. I especially liked the little nephew character - so adorable. And I completely forgot about The Editor! I loved that one, too. I hope you love it as well -- I think it's his best.

Earlier today I finished The Unheard by Nicci French. After having read all 8 books in the Frieda Klein series, this was my first time reading a stand-alone title by French. It was very good, but not great. It moved fast and I was grateful for that.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 16, 2022 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Outside Boy on audio and highly recommend it. Now on to listening to The Lincoln Highway.

Finished Damnation Spring and it had the most intense final 50 pages ever! I cannot recommend this book highly enough - it is WONDERFUL!

I read The Wrong Family this week, and from chapter 27 on it was shocking. I *think* I liked it, though the ending is rather chaotic and largely driven by a minor character that comes out of nowhere. Still a good read.

Now I'm reading Layla (Hoover) on Kindle and have Douglas Stuart's newest book Young Munro waiting for me. His Shuggie Bain was amazing, so I'm looking forward to this new one!

I've also read approximately 15 more pages in I Was Better Last Night - reading deadtree books during the school year just doesn't happen very easily.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 17, 2022 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Hello, Molly! by Molly Shannon and truly enjoyed it. What a life she has lived so far! It just made her even more endearing to me.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 17, 2022 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Great to know! I’m in line for it at the library — I’m so glad you liked it. I love her show on HBO Max, “The Other Two” — so hysterically funny!

Yesterday I finished Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris and it was delightful. He wrote it in 2014 and it’s loaded with really engaging anecdotes. I never saw “Doogie Howser” or “How I Met Your Mother” and now I wish I had. ☹️

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, April 18, 2022 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Harris was an absolute star in “How I Met Your Mother”. That must have been a fun read.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, April 18, 2022 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Man Who Died Twice, the 2nd book in The Thursday Murder Club series written by Richard Osman, and enjoyed it even more then the first.

Other books I have read this year are The Fallen and Redemption (Amos Decker #4 & #5) by David Baldacci - obviously I like this series, Win (Windsor Horne Lockwood III, #1) by Harlan Coben - not sure how I feel about this one but I think that has to do with my displeasure of the very wealthy at this moment in time, The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda - a murder mystery that I did not care for that much due to the the constant analyzing of everything at every moment by the main character, 56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard - an interesting take on a murder mystery taking place during the covid lockdown. Who knew it could provide the perfect circumstance for how to get away with murder, lol.

I'm back to waiting on The Lincoln Highway at the library to finish the 2nd half.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 23, 2022 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I had checked out NPH's book in Kindle format, but I have to tell you, with it being an 18 day stretch of not being home, end of college class w/essays & exams this coming week, end of MP for my HS classes AND hell week/performances of our community theater musical, my brain just could not handle the "choose your adventure" style he used. I returned it and will try again when school is done because I adore him! I also had to return the Fierstein book without finishing it.

RESULT - I'm reading Broken Ground by Val McDermid (5th Karen Pirie book) on Kindle since I own it and don't have a deadline! I'm also still listening to The Lincoln Highway.}