TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 28, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 28, 2020 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, October 29, 2020 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I started The Last Night in Montreal but only read a couple of chapters. I had read a review that sounded interesting but I guess I wasn't interested after all. I have several other library books now I'd rather read. Will start Anxious People by Fredrik Backman later tonight or tomorrow.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, November 03, 2020 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm sorry you didn't like LNIM, Sugar. These things happen, of course. And speaking of which, I just now finished Chris Bohjalian's The Flight Attendant -- please avoid this one at all costs. It's one of the worst books I've read in recent memory. The HBO adaptation premieres later this month. The source material is so awful that I can't possibly imagine how the adaptation can make it better. I'll tune in just out of curiosity. And, no, I will NOT read anything by Mr. Bohjalian in the future.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, November 04, 2020 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished Mean Streak by Sandra Brown and I'm not sure what to think except that I will probably pass on the rest of her books. I was expecting a mystery thriller and it was going great until it became Tarzan meets Dr. Grey. The instant they look at each other, they must copulate and they must copulate that very second. In the end, her reasoning for the behavior of some of the characters just didn't pan out for me. The book has good reviews on Amazon and it's an easy read but I don't think her style is for me.

I think I'll head back to Sandra Dallas and the prairies of the 1800's.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, November 04, 2020 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky I started The Flight Attendant and did not read much of it at all, maybe a chapter. I found Chris Bohjalian's books to be quite hit and miss, I liked a couple, couldn't finish a couple because they were just bad or not interesting. Not an author I am likely to read again.

I have read about a third of Backman's Anxious People and am starting to find it a bit more interesting. I have enjoyed all his other books except Bear Town and it's sequel.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, November 05, 2020 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
In a horrendous life decision of procrastination to avoid grading and my own classwork, I've read The Last Flight in two days. LOVED it as did many of you here.

Now I'm back to reading process analysis essays, comparison essays, and my own classwork on Social Media in teaching.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 - 10:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I really do my best to refrain from indulging in too much hyperbolic chatter. But now that I've finished TH1RT3EN by Steve Cavanagh - the 4th in the Eddie Flynn series -- I have no choice but to howl from the rooftops that he is quite simply the best crime writer as well as the best legal thriller writer I've ever read.

And, yes, that means I love him more than I love Michael Connelly, Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay. The most delicious aspect is that he's only written a half-dozen books, which means he can potentially give us as many books as those three gentlemen have. Cavanagh's imagination is outrageous, thrilling and, ultimately, a ton of fun. I feel fortunate to be alive during this era of his productivity!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 - 5:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Amazing endorsement! You should post it on his twitter or FB pages if he has them.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, November 10, 2020 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Uncle_ricky, I will have to find the 1st book in that series. I read a couple of Linwood Barclay books after you mentioned him and enjoyed them.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I'll be very surprised if you don't like The Defence, which is the first in the Eddie Flynn series (and I'm thrilled you enjoyed the Barclay books you've read).

Mame, that's an excellent suggestion, as always, thank you. This is what I posted to Twitter yesterday and Mr. Cavanagh's very humble reply!

Ric Munoz
@munoz_ric
.@SSCav

I've profoundly admired all the books by @Connellybooks, @HarlanCoben & @linwood_barclay. Now that I've read #TH1RT3EN, the 4th #EddieFlynn classic, it's time to declare Steve Cavanagh the best Crime/Thriller writer on the planet - may he write as many books as they have!

Steve Cavanagh
@SSCav
Replying to
@munoz_ric

That is too kind. Those gents are heroes of mine and frankly I'm not fit to refill their pens. However, I think the best crime writer on the planet is James Lee Burke. And I imagine you'll get no argument on that from those in the business.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow you posted AND GOT A (humble) REPLY. WAHOO!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Love that, Uncle Ricky! I need to try one of his books. James Lee Burke too. I had a friend who raved about him.

Haven't been able to read in some time due to migraines and headaches. I've had a hard time being able to concentrate lately too. I call it my pandemic menopausal brain. Pan-pausal is my new word.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Well heck, now we all need to hunt down some books by James Lee Burke! That's so great that you got a reply Uncle Ric!

I'm in the middle of listening to The Defense, the first in the Eddie Flynn series while at the time reading Don't Let Go by Harlen Coben.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, November 11, 2020 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
{{Rieanne}}

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, November 12, 2020 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Kappy

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, November 12, 2020 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mame, Rieann and Kappy! I'm so sorry about the headaches, Rieann - I hope they clear up soon.

I ordered the first two books James Lee Burke ever wrote (they're due to arrive on Saturday) -- the first was published in 1965 and the second in 1970. Assuming I like them - he's written 40 total books -- that'll leave plenty to enjoy beyond those first two. We'll see!

Kappy, I hope you like The Defence - fingers crossed!

Last night I finished Carrie Fisher's The Princess Diarist. I was expecting it to be a little bit better than it was. I had no idea Star Wars fanatics were quite as fanatic as she described them!

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Friday, November 13, 2020 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
After watching "The Haunting of Bly Manor" on Netflix I've read Ruth Ware's "The Turn of the Key" and now Henry James's "The Turn of the Screw". James's novella is what both the show and Ware's book are based on - I'm kind of reverse watching/reading (instead of reading and then watching the movie). But, it's working for me.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, November 14, 2020 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Charlaine Harris "Definitely Dead". It was different. I'm aware her books are what the series "True Blood" were based on. I have not seen the series, nor read any of the other books. Will not seek them out, but will probably read a few if I run across them. Got this one for $3 at Dollar General.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Last week I finished Win at All Costs: Inside Nike Running and its Culture of Deception by Matt Hart and found it very depressing because of how well it chronicles the ongoing and pervasive cheating masterminded by longtime Nike employee and coach, Alberto Salazar (the former #1 marathon runner in the world, circa the early 1980s).

Last night I finished Dove Season by Johnny Shaw. It's his debut, from 2010, and even though I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, I will pursue his second book to make my final decision about how much I like his writing.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Have finished Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other, Exit West and will finish up Flight (Sherman Alexie) within a day or two. Completely captivated by the first few chapters of Colleen Hoover's Regretting You and will start the audio version of The Promised Land by Pres. Obama this weekend.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Read The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop by Fannie Flagg and enjoyed it. Funny how I kept picturing the characters from the movie as I read it.

Started and gave up on both
Mum & Dad by Joanna Trollope and Pizza Girl by Jean Kyoung Frazier.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, November 19, 2020 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just started reading President Obama's book. Oh, food for the soul. So well written.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, November 22, 2020 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Earlier today I finished one of the most disturbing non-fiction books I've ever read, Killing for Company: The Case of Dennis Nilsen by Brian Masters. I came across a New York Times article about the TV adaptation of the book (starring David Tennant) and it intrigued me enough to track down the book that the adaptation is based on. If it's as disturbing as the book is, it'll definitely be one of the most disturbing three episodes of television I'll ever watch. The book chronicles the serial murdering career of Dennis Nilsen, who went on a killing spree (1978 to 1983) in the North London neighborhood of Muswell Hill. I warn you one last time: the subject matter is extremely disturbing, so please keep that in mind.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, November 23, 2020 - 2:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Ugh - my touchy moods are really affecting my reading, lol! I'm listening to The Defense and am about halfway through. I'll finish it but I don't think I will be reading any more of the series. I do know people who will get a kick out of the main character and will definitely pass on the recommendation to them.

I'm also trying to get into The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and am not feeling it. I'm so over liars, con men and entitled souls so I'm going to have to pass on these two books for awhile until my head is in a better place.

I also finished Don't LET Go by Harlan Coben and it was okay but not my favorite of his. On to mindless comfort reading for the holidays!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, November 28, 2020 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Kappy! Thank you for hanging with The Defense to its conclusion!

Yesterday I finished one of the very best books of this (or any other) year: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. I am so, so glad that I didn't read anything to give me an idea about its plotline, nor was I at all familiar with the writer. It's always a huge risk, as you know, to read something without an advance peek at its Goodreads or Amazon ratings.

I'm very happy to report this one turned out to be just a magnificent and flawless achievement. It's the type of book that makes you feel glad to be alive to read it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 28, 2020 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just have not been reading many books this year. I read, but more blogs, articles..

Anyway I finished Notorious RBG: The life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik and enjoyed every bit. It is pre 2016..

And started a novel, The Bar Harbor Retirement Home for Famous Writers (and Their Muses) by Terri Lynne DeFino.. Liking it right away.