TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 16, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 16, 2020 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 19, 2020 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I think it just means I can't concentrate longer than 20-30 minutes on any one thing these days! LOL

Finished The Vanishing Half today, and it was just as good at the end as it was at the beginning. Now I'm listening to The Black House by Peter May. I loved his Coffin Road so am very much looking forward to this one.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Last night I finished Michael Connelly's latest, Fair Warning. As with all his other books, it held my interest throughout, but the ending of this one left a lot to be desired. As with other prolific writers (like Harlan Coben), sometimes the finished product doesn't always reach the high standards they've established from previous works.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, July 27, 2020 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I finished the latest Maggie Hope mystery, The King's Justice by Susan Elia MacNeal. It was not my favorite of the series. It is no surprise that Maggie has a rough time after all she has been through... I do think the next novel in the series might be interesting.

I had several holds become available at the library, so many in fact that I had to put 4 of them back for another time and only took 6 or 7 books home. Plan to start Clover Blue by Eldonna Edwards this evening.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
There isn't much in Mary Trump's book, Too Much and Never Enough that you haven't seen or read in her interviews. She seemed credible to me, while clearly being affected by the Trumps' poor treatment of her family before and after the death of her father. An old friend of mine would say of the Trump family that they are just not nice people.

Having crossed that off my list, thankfully, I am on to reading Sue Monk Kidd's The Book of Longings, an imaginative story of the life of a girl who falls in love with and becomes the wife of Jesus.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I am starting The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I think several of you have recommended this one over the last couple of years. Something seems obvious to me from the start and I need to set my fixation about it aside so I can enjoy the story. I'm hoping this post purges my fixation. Lol

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I liked Clover Blue, I may read her first novel, This I Know.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm glad you liked it Rieann - TJR is such a terrific writer!

Last night I finished The Ones We Choose by Julie Clark, a writer new to me. It focused on a geneticist who is very protective of the young son she gave birth to via an anonymous donor. It was very, very engaging and Ms. Clark kept the emotions running at an fairly intense temperature (which I certainly endorse - the more emotional, the better!). All in all, an extremely impressive debut. Her follow-up, The Last Flight, came out earlier this year and it's on the NYT top-ten bestseller list. It's gotten fabulous reviews, so I'm really looking forward to getting my paws on it!

Granny2b

07-07-2009

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Granny2b a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Ready Player One. Enjoying it

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have The Last Flight sitting on my end table waiting for me. A friend said it was so good she read it in a day! Have to finish a couple others on Kindle first.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, July 31, 2020 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Insanely jealous, Teach!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read The Last Flight fairly quickly. It is a good read.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I’m glad you liked it, too. You know what that means: it’s guaranteed to be delicious (like candy, only different!). 😜

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I notched another Lisa Jewell title - this one was her 13th book, The Third Wife. It didn't get the best reviews on Goodreads and I get the feeling she wasn't overly impressed with it herself, based on the reply she posted to the tweet I wrote about her previous book. Still, I liked it, mostly because I liked all the characters. The story was not as strong as it could have been, so that's probably why the reviews were more negative than positive. I still love her, though.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I read The Last Flight by Julie Clark. Thanks for the recommendation Teach and Mamie. πŸ‘

I'm about to start The Night Swim by Megan Goldin who wrote The Escape Room. I hope it is just as good.

A fun one I have on my TBR list is A Star is Bored by Byron Lane. He was an assistant to Carrie Fisher and this novel is about an assistant to an iconic movie star. Write what you know! :-)

Also have Alice Feeney's latest, His & Hers, on my list.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I have all of those. I started A Star is Bored but put it down. It has so many rave reviews so I will get back to it but the "Carrie Fisher" character was wearing me out.

I started His & Hers last night and it is making me read on.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Enjoyed Sue Monk Kidd's The Book of Longings, although I didn't find it quite as gripping as her other books.

Now into Margaret Atwood's The Testaments, the sequel to A Handmaid's Tale. Definitely worth reading if you read the latter book.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Operator by Gretchen Berg. It was ok.
I am starting a non fiction book, The Only Girl in the World A Memoir by Maude Julien. I think it will be a difficult read as it seems she had a very cruel life. It was recommended as a book to read if you liked Educated by Tara Westover.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just finished listening to The Black House and loved it. I'm in the panic stage of getting 2 completely online classes actually ONLINE for college classes by Monday (was asked to teach another section - so YAY they like my work!), so I'm not doing much reading on my Kindles or books. Maybe next week when I have a second to breathe before starting all over with HS classes. We're going F2F (SOOOOOOOOO stupid!!!), but I'm running my classes like virtual classes w/Google classroom because we all KNOW we'll be shut down - just a matter of when.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I've only read 47 books so far this year. Covid closing the libraries definitely had an effect on my reading volume.

I did not care for The Only Girl in the World A Memoir, it was not as well written as Educated was written. The author certainly had a horrible childhood at the hands of crazy cruel parents.

I finished Perfect Little Children by Sophie Hannah. It was another book that sounded interesting from the blurbs/press and was a bit disappointing.

Starting The Ladies Lending Library by Janice Keefer. I am fond of books about libraries or bookshops.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I was at Costco the other day looking at the books they had for sale and an adorable elderly gentleman was nearby (both of us social distancing with facemasks). He pointed to a book and told me that he enjoyed it so much that he read it two times. So I picked up the book and thanked him for the recommendation. I strolled away and read the first page...I was hooked. "Where The Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, my reading volume is down this year too. Part of it is because the library has been closed, and part is because I had a hard time concentrating enough to read at times. I am also fond of books about libraries, book clubs and bookshops. I'll be interested to hear how the Keefer book is.

Eggie, the elderly gentleman gave you a great recommendation!

I'm just beginning Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I just this second finished Chanel Miller's absolutely astonishing memoir, Know My Name, and I am a total wreck. I also can't believe no one here has read it (or if you have, please write your thoughts about it ASAP!).

This is what I posted to Twitter a few minutes ago:

"Over the years I've asked a lot of people to read a lot of different books. Those have been very special works. But now that I've read #KnowMyName by #ChanelMiller, I must implore you to READ THIS BOOK over any other I've recommended. It's the best memoir you'll ever come across."

So now you know that you MUST, MUST, MUST add this to your reading list immediately.

This was one of the most amazing reading experiences of my life - it easily ranks in the Top Ten. On second thought, make that the Top Five.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm at under 30 books this year, Mak, for that reason. My concentration level is absolute rubbish. I just stash Kindles anywhere I might sit down so I can just read a page or two at a time, but still.

That books sounds wonderful, Rik! **Grrrr....not on Overdrive w/our library**

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, August 16, 2020 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I do not think I will finish The Ladies Lending Library by Janice Keefer. I have read 20 pages and am bored. Fortunately, I was able to pick up several library holds as I am currently quarantining as my sister was exposed to Covid and I have a few symptoms. Hopefully, I will get my test back in a couple days.