TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 03, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 03, 2020 users admin

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Enjoyed Ann Patchett's The Dutch House, the first of her novels that I've read. It's been hard to stick with any book recently so it says something that I finished it.

I had to put aside Richard Powers' The Overstory to read the library Patchett copy, but I can see why it won the Pulitzer--wonderful writing so far. I'll put it aside again when I get another Liane Moriarity novel from the library. I liked it enough to buy it to read at my own pace.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I can't believe I'm writing this, but I must declare that Harlan Coben''s newest, The Boy from the Woods, isn't very good. I'm stunned, of course, but these things happen every now and then.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Sorry to hear that, Ricky. I know how disappointing that can be, and unexpected with Coben.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
That is a bummer. I have to say I didn't enjoy The Stranger as much as other books I have read by him. I just remember thinking things were so far fetched. I enjoyed the Netflix series much more than the book.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Stranger right now. About half-way through.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Tried to post this morning, but was in maintenance mode. Finished another Nora Roberts novel, Heart of the Sea. It was another in a series of trilogies that are not necessary to read in order or either any of the series. It was okay.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
How is Nora Roberts in general? I haven't read any of her books.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, June 29, 2020 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Uncle_Ricky, same thing happened to me with John Grisham. I hated The Painted House SO much, I have never been able to read another John Grisham book.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, Nora Roberts is one of my favorites!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I have almost her ENTIRE collection of books! :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Juju, I understand completely. I had to drop another, less famous, John (Irving), who was one of my absolute favorites of all time. His mojo evaporated about 10 years ago. It pains me to know I'll never read any of his future books. (But then he may not write any, too.) I'm sorry you had that experience with Mr. Grisham.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
It takes alot for me to give up on an author. Janet Evanovitch is one of the few that I have. With Grisham, I have always found him hit and miss but I have enjoyed enough of his books to keep trying new ones. I just might wait and see how the reviews are after it's been out for a year, lol. I have no problem with skipping the bad ones.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I remember doing the same, Rick - that last Irving book was one I didn't even finish.

I DID finish The Idiot by Elif Butaman. It was about 75 pages too long.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Scooter and Mame. Any that you would recommend that I start with. I do enjoy trilogies or multiple books with the same character(s).

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I will defer to MB on this one, as I am WAY behind on my reading.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh come on! Californians and Ontarians are too polite. I want you two to argue over which one I should read first.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
LOL Jimmer!

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Maybe the McGregor trilogy?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Scooter. I await Mame's recommendation as well.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
J.D. Robb is also Nora Roberts, writing her series of "In Death" books. I've only read a couple of those, I think. Futuristic crime stories.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Not a big fan of her J. D. Robb series, I've only read 2 or 3, but they are super-popular and worth checking out especially if you enjoy futuristic scenarios. (I feel they'd make fun movies though.)

I will go through my extensive library of my Nora Roberts books and get back to you ASAP with my thoughts and recommendations. One thing I will say is that being a bit OCD, I like to read books by prolific authors in the order they were written/published.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 9:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Okay, I also want to point out that Roberts' offers a a very wide variety of enjoyable books including contemporary romance. (Her husband is a carpenter-housebuilder and a lot of her books have the hero as very competent with a tool-belt, LOL.) I also particularly enjoyed most of her early magical/mystical trilogies. Many of her recent stand-alone books tend towards suspense and are a bit unnerving for me.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Wow, I just remembered that I discovered her when I read her Stanislaski series, and that's how I became hooked. It's a very early series of hers and if memory serves, endearing, engrossing, but way less edgy than she eventually became. With a few exceptions, I've loved most of her books. And it's been interesting seeing her craft evolve.
(Scootsy, what say you?) :-)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 02, 2020 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have been reading The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen. It is not as funny as I thought it would be but it is ok as I wait for other books to arrive at the library.

Ranger2

08-08-2008

Friday, July 03, 2020 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ranger2 a private message Print Post    
I don't know if anyone can help me, but I figure I'll give it a shot. I find an author I like and usually read all their books and especially like authors that write series. I had been reading a series, but can not remember the name of the author, any of the characters, none of the names of the books...But, I know that the main character ( I think he was one of the main characters_) was married to a woman...she may have been a lawyer, a DA? but she had MS. I learned alot about MS from this character, how it would affect her vision at times, or she would be bed ridden. Most of the books I like to read are mysteries, or with Detectives, so I'm thinking the husband was maybe a detective? I know this is a long shot, but does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm finally getting back into reading again and trying to get caught up with all the authors I used to read, but this one is just out of my grasp! Thank you for any help anyone can give me.