TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 22, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 22, 2020 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, May 24, 2020 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for thinking of me, Sea. I'm on the west side, live on sand dunes basically, so while we've had some flooding in our general area, we're high on a hill and not even a bit of water in our basement.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 25, 2020 - 1:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Good!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, May 25, 2020 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Just wondering what the penalty of breaking & entering and maybe theft would be?

Probably not theft as I would only be borrowing the books after I broke into the library. Is one allowed to take books to jail?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 25, 2020 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I think it depends on the jail, Sugar. But let's hope you NEVER have to personally find out!

This afternoon I finished Friday on My Mind by Nicci French. It's the 5th in the Frieda Klein series and, as with the four previous mysteries, it was excellently plotted and the reveal of the bad person was very satisfying. Just two more books to complete the week, but there's an 8th book, too, but I can't remember how it fits into the one-mystery-for-every-day-of-the-week thing.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Can you steal books that are available for loan? The B&E might get you jail time, but the books are there for the public....just sayin'

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Our local library had extended all due dates to whenever they are able to fully open again. This week, they have opened up 'door' service where if you reserve a book online, you can come and pick it up at the door.

Still not the full experience of a library where one can wander and browse but at least those without e-readers can get some new books.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished The Boy From the Woods by Harlan Coben and enjoyed it. I saw on Twitter that he is not done with 'The Boy' yet so hoping for a sequel.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
That was my thinking Teachmichigan, that it wouldn't really be stealing. I could leave my library card #. I would pay for the door/window.

We are supposed to be able to pick up books from the library now. Nothing I wanted was available so will have to look again and get on more waiting lists.

I am quite sure jail would not suit me so I shall not engage in a life of literary crime. Any crime actually.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, May 31, 2020 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Literary crime sounds so sophisticated, though! LOL

Finished Ordinary People by Diana Evans, and am currently reading a smut book (Wait with Me. Needed a brain break as we're dealing with the end of year, a few angry seniors (entitled and selfish doesn't begin to cover it), and just this weekend, a very racist Facebook post against our large Hispanic community. I'd like to just hide at home for the rest of 2020, please.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, June 04, 2020 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was finally able to check out a book from the library!
Unfortunately, I don't like it.
The Body Double by Emily Beyda. The premise was interesting, a downtrodden woman is offered a job posing as a celebrity that is currently unable to cope. I have only read a few chapters but it is slow and a tad overwrought. I may read a bit more but it is more of a chore than a delight. As soon as another book is ready I will race to the library.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, June 06, 2020 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I returned The Body Double as it just wasn't worth finishing IMO. I was able to get 2 new books, Westering Women by Sandra Dallas and The Secrets of Love Story Bridge by Phaedra Patrick.

I would like to read one today and the other tomorrow but will have to slow down as I want to have something to read in the hospital and after I get home.

I am so happy that we can get drive up serviced at the library and I believe the open to the public in the next week or so.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I couldn't resist the temptation of a new book and started Westering Women last night, I am nearly finished. I have enjoyed it, typical Sandra Dallas fare.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I finished the total smut book Wait with Me in about 2 days. Weirdest use of the word "husk" ever - it was used as a verb in place of words like "said" or "whispered." And it was used 22 times in a 300 page book. If you need fluff, it qualifies. If you need a plot or intelligence, it does NOT!

Have started reading White Fragility and The Idiot as well. Since I'm only driving once every couple weeks for groceries, my audiobook is STILL on The Fiery Cross that I started months ago!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 6:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I feel like such a slacker! I’m reading one book every two weeks these days, instead of two books every week (as I was able to do last year). That’s what happens when your work hours get reduced from 40 per week to 20 per week: all that free time (for me) has been spent running (so that I’m not cooped up in my house all day). I recently finished The Geography of Pluto by Christopher DiRaddo, his debut. Very well-written novel about a young gay man trying to find love in Montreal while caring for his ailing mother.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ah, Montreal, my old hometown. :-) Don't feel bad, UncleRicky, you are dividing your time between exercising your muscles and your brain. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 11:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Very true, Mame! The author described Montreal quite vividly and extensively, so I’m sure you’d recognize all the numerous locales he included in the narrative. I only visited once (to run the Montreal Marathon) and thought the city was quite lovely!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, June 08, 2020 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished another Nora Roberts book, "Daring to Dream". It was good. I've been finding books by her at the dollar store. She's a very prolific author.
Most of the books are part of trilogies, but I don't think it's necessary to read all of them or in order. They stand alone.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, June 12, 2020 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished another Harlan Coben book, Run Away, and as with all his books, I enjoyed it. A perfect family (by all appearances) finds themselves dealing with a drug addict in the family which leads to more past family secrets surfacing. I like the way his main characters acknowledge their own faults and work at being good human beings.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 15, 2020 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I finished The Secrets of Love Story Bridge by Phaedra Patrick. It was a quick sweet read as her other books have been.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Last night I finished The Magnificent Ambersons, Booth Tarkington’s Pulitzer-Prize winner from 1918. It was my first time reading Tarkington and it was much, much better than I thought it’d be. I probably won’t read any of his others - TMA was really quite enough. I enjoyed it but I didn’t love it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 21, 2020 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I remember trying to watch the movie but didn't last too long.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, June 22, 2020 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I read Westering Women by Sandra Dallas after it was recommended by Sugar above and I really enjoyed it. It made me start looking up information about the wagon trains that headed out west during the gold rush, where they stopped, etc. To survive that experience really showed alot of strength. The book is a bit on the 'romantic' side which I don't normally read nor have I ever had any interest in anything 'western' but this story intriqued me. Thanks, Sugar, for mentioning it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, June 22, 2020 - 10:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I'm glad you liked Westering Women Kappy. I have enjoyed most of the Sandra Dallas books. Like you, I don't tend to read westerns or romances. I suggest you take a look at her book, True Sisters. It was based on actual events I had no idea had happened.
I can't imagine having done any such thing. I am fairly sure I would have perished before leaving the outskirts of town.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, June 22, 2020 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm always amazed by early settlers. They must have been incredibly tough and resilient.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, June 22, 2020 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks for giving me an idea of which of her books to read next, Sugar.

After Westering, I now want to go back and watch the Overland Trail tv series with Doug McClure from 1960. :0)