TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 23, 2020

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 23, 2020 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 27, 2020 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Went to check him out, and the first book The Defense is only $2.99 on Kindle today (Monday, April 27). SWEET!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Finding myself unsettled at times now and just wasn't in the mood for Michelle Obama's Becoming when it was available from the library. Was enjoying On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous, but didn't have time to finish it. Hope I get it back again soon. In the meantime, I'm enjoying Lily King's Writers and Lovers. Her style reminds me a little bit of Sally Rooney. I will finish this one.

Is anyone else feeling picky about what they are reading right now?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes, and I think it is because I have no real books. The good old fashioned kind with paper and binding. Heavy sigh.
I have read, reread and read yet again everything in my personal library. My free or .99 cent Bookbub Kindle books are meh.
I want fresh new books from the library or bookstore.
What a first world problem whiner...I need to buck up Buttercup!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Tresbien, I loved Writers and Lovers. It really touched my heart. I wasn't expecting to feel everything that I did. I so related to the sadness she wrote over the loss of the mother.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Oh Sugar' I feel you' .
I miss my library so much' it was my everything..
I was a daily visitor.
I really hope things will be normal some day'..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read and thoroughly enjoyed Red, White, and Royal Blue and am now working on Less. I'm struggling to keep focus as I read these days, which seems weird since I usually crave reading time. I've read a couple chapters of Catch and Kill and am about 6 chapters into Things in Jars, and everything I'm reading is fantastic. I just find my brain wandering after about 30 minutes. I'm hoping once all the school craziness is done that my stress level will drop, and I can spend this summer taking my 2 online classes and reading.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Here, actually in L.A., they are talking about starting school early.

Most of our news is from Los Angeles, not Orange County.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, May 05, 2020 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished reading "Mischling" by Affinity Konar. This was a Dollar General find. Really good book. It's about a set of twin girls at Auschwitz. Heartbreaking, but also uplifting.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, May 06, 2020 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Happy Days are here again
Sugar found an unread gem
A real book with pages to turn
Happily reading once again!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, May 06, 2020 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, too bad we aren't neighbors because I would gladly let you use my library.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, May 06, 2020 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mamie316, I would definitely share books if we were neighbors.

I used to belong to a jewelry making club and would see one of those little lending library boxes when driving to the meetings. Had it been anywhere near my house, I would have stopped to take a look at it.
Maybe after sheltering restrictions are lifted I will see about putting one in my yard.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 6:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just found out that we have one not far from us. I will definitely be putting books in it when this is all over. I get so many from publishers and you are not supposed to give them away to any place that will sell them so the little library will be perfect.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, May 07, 2020 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I miss Advance Reading Copy books.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Less and will finish The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes tonight because I can NOT put it down!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I’m too tired to write a unique review, so I’m just going to copy/paste what I posted on Twitter about A History of Loneliness, the book I finished reading earlier tonight. Too sleepy — off to bed!

I love @john_boyne’s writing so much — tonight I finished #AHistoryofLoneliness & felt so many emotions. The most prominent? Profound relief that I ditched the Catholic Church in 1971, shortly after my 13th birthday — up until then my mom had forced me to attend. #AtheistforLife

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I have sometimes found advance reading copies on eBay.

Finished Lily King's Writers and Lovers and enjoyed it. Early on, when it is about the main character's waitress job, I was less interested than in the rest of her story. Probably it's just because my ex-laws were in the restaurant business, and I heard so much about it. It did hold my interest, which has been hard to do these days.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've been finding it hard to focus on reading as well these days. It's also partly because I do most of my reading now on my iPad (and occasionally my iPhone) and it's very easy to be distracted when you use those devices for reading.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I've started American Dirt by Jeanine Cummnins and am really enjoying it so far. It's an Oprah Book Club selection and follows the story of a woman and her 8 year old son who are forced to leave their home in Acapulco, Mexico and migrate to the US.

I went to Amazon to read some reviews and found out that some readers are upset at finding out that the author is not Hispanic. I understand their reasoning and what is behind that but honestly, I'm all for anything that sheds some light on the plight of migrants and why they would leave their own homes to begin with. There are so many different stories and angles to tell that it will be a subject for authors for years to come.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished a very sweet compilation of four short stories set during Christmas time, titled, "The Most Wonderful Time" by Fern Michaels. The other authors were Stacy Finz, Sarah Title, and Shirlee McCoy.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, May 17, 2020 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Just bought Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas's ebook: What Makes a Marriage Last. 40 Celebrated couples share their secrets to long happy marriages. I will check back in once I've read it and give you my review but I'm sure I'm going to love it.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, May 18, 2020 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read a new-to-me author, Peter May, and his book Coffin Road. Excellent mystery, and I loved that it was set in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland. Read it in one day!

Now reading Ordinary People by Diana Evans and still working on Things in Jars.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 7:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Worrying.. Teach has not logged on and there is flooding in Michigan.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea, Teach posted about 14 hours ago on Facebook and (it was nothing to do with the floods. So I'm going to be optimistic and assume she's fine.)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, May 21, 2020 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Seeing more posts from her on FB. From what I can tell, nothing to worry about. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 23, 2020 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks!

My Michigan friend in my Yahtzee family is in Novi, and ok, but was worried about a friend in the flood area.