TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 13, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 13, 2019 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, July 06, 2019 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I love Lisa Jewell! Not quite as much as Liane Moriarty, but she's pretty close. Just now I finished A Friend of the Family, her 4th published novel - only 12 more to go before I'm all caught up.

AFOTF, released in 2004, was another family drama that featured three brothers and their assorted mates. Interestingly, all three brothers in the story are single and are struggling their way through the London romance landscape in the early '00s. Jewell really makes you care about the characters - not all writers are successful doing that, but she manages to do it quite easily!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yesterday I finished the latest from John Waters, Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder. It's a collection of his recent essays about a wide variety of topics, the most interesting of which pertained to the intricate experiences of filming his more popular films (e.g., "Hairspray," "Serial Mom," "Cecil B. Demented," etc.) His humor is, has been, and always will be, very much off-the-wall. Not everyone "gets it" but I definitely do!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
This morning I finished Sally Hepworth's latest offering, The Mother-in-Law. For some reason I was expecting it to be a thriller, but it's more of a mystery that's more understated than prominent in the story. The book moves along really quickly, so I appreciated that because I was really in the mood for something fast-paced. The ending could've been a little stronger but that didn't prevent me from enjoying it overall.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Last night I finished The Kids in the Hall: One Dumb Guy by Paul Myers (who is also the brother of Austin Powers himself, Mike Myers). It's an authorized biography of the trail-blazing comedy troupe that broke big in the late 80s and into the 90s and who have kept current up to the present decade. Yet another great group of comedians from Canada, each "Kid" gets plenty of coverage - they really were and are immensely talented. An excellent biography through and through!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, July 18, 2019 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Finished Alex Michaelides' The Silent Patient, which was a gripping psychological thriller. Just what I needed when I wanted to be engrossed in a book and not think about anything else. Thanks to all who recommended it.

Just downloaded Liane Moriarity's A Hypnotist's Love Story and continue to read Sisters In Law about RBG and Sandra Day O'Connor in spurts.

Got a short but lovely reply from Amor Towles when I asked him how long I have to wait for his next book. He's working on it!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, July 19, 2019 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Tres, I'm so glad you liked The Silent Patient and I trust/hope you'll like The Hypnotist's Love Story - I thought it was wonderful.

I whizzed through Sally Rooney's Normal People and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can totally see how some readers may not like it due to the behavior of the main characters. The book has received tremendous praise and while I think it's deserved, I fear the negative appeal of the characters might prove problematic for the casual reader.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Poinciana Road" by Margaret Way. It's quite good. It was categorized as a romance on the back, but it was not a typical romance. Maybe slightly a mystery, with some family dynamics thrown in.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ricky we must think alike! The library gal who runs our book club and I were talking because she needs books. I told her that I adored Normal People (as well as A Little Life) but there was no way in hades some of our book club people would like them. Small, super-conservative town....just nope!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 22, 2019 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh, Teach, I can just imagine the reactions of a book club to Normal People, even here in California! Rooney is uber-talented and very, very young (28) -- unless her career collapses, we should get quite a few books from her in the future. Normal People is being adapted by the BBC into a 12-part mini-series. It'll debut sometime next year and will be shown on Hulu at the same time it premieres on the BBC. I will definitely have to subscribe to Hulu as a result!

Last night I finished Heather Gudenkauf's third published novel (from 2012), One Breath Away. It was good, but it could have used some trimming without any loss of quality. I'm slowly working my way through her books. I like that they're set in Iowa (where Gudenkauf lives), which is not your run-of-the-mill setting for thrillers.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 26, 2019 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I just finished the book The Elizas. Not a bad story, but I'm done for a few books w/two storylines alternating chapters. Ian Rankin's In a House of Lies is up next - straight up Rebus mystery, and I'm also reading Bonfire by Krysten Ritter (actress who plays Jessica Jones). The book on sleep is in progress and I'm absolutely loving The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, July 26, 2019 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Finished "Sometimes I lie".... OMG what a great book. Sorry, don't have the book in front of me to tell you the author, but I would recommend it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, July 26, 2019 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, that book is by Alice Feeney, her debut. I took a peek at the ratings it got on Goodreads. Nearly 60,000 ratings thus far and 92% of those readers have liked it. I think I have to add it to my list - thanks for the tip!

Last night I finished the second in the Dr. Frieda Klein series by Nicci French, Tuesday's Gone. Dr. Klein is fiercely independent but she is haunted by mistakes she's made while helping the London police department. I love how she does her own thing especially when she's challenged by the bureaucrats who are threatened by her expertise.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 29, 2019 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I just now finished Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty and loved it to pieces. It's nice and long - the edition I read was 517 pages -- but it felt much shorter than that, probably because it's so well written. I know how boring I must sound raving and raving about her (but I can't help it!). I'll read one of Patricia Highsmith's books next and THEN it'll be time to (finally!) read Big Little Lies. I'm excited to find out whether I'll like it more than The Husband's Secret and Truly Madly Guilty. Will she ever write a bad book? I'll be shocked if she does (but I'll forgive her)! That's another thing I'm excited to find out: CAN she write a bad book???

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Read all of them Uncle ricky, and all were wonderful... Yet to be disappointed...

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Big Little Lies was the first one I read, and I actually felt the ending was a bit 'preachy.' Looking forward to your take on it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, August 02, 2019 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Chewpito! I'm so glad you're a big fan!

Teach, that's very intriguing! I look forward to comparing my experience with the ending to yours. I started it this morning and I'm reading it extra slowly so that I can savor every page.

Last night I finished Patricia Highsmith's A Game for the Living. It was absolutely HORRENDOUS. Its awfulness was so stunning that I doubt I'll read any of her other books - too risky! I'm glad I'm following THAT ordeal with another foray into the paradise that is Ms. Moriarty and her fabulous storytelling skills!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, August 04, 2019 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendation of Sometimes I Lie Kookliebird. Finished it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very creepy though!

Next up is Laura Lippman's The Lady In The Lake.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 05, 2019 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I loved Big Little Lies! I can see how it might come across as preachy (as Teach mentioned above), but it didn't bother me or otherwise affect how much I enjoyed it. I'm glad I didn't follow my crackpot rule of "never reading a book that I've already seen as a TV or movie adaptation" -- the book was just as good as the HBO series!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 5:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I loved that book. Such a fantastic, entertaining blend of humor and emotion.

I suppose I could check back but when you all find an author you like do you read their books in the same order that they were published?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Jimmer - I only read them in order if it's necessary to the story. For example, I stumbled upon Wallander because of Kenneth Brannaugh's excellent TV adaption. I read the first 6 in order but after that, I went random. The order helped a bit because of the side story of his father/family stuff, but it wasn't absolutely necessary since each book contains a stand-alone mystery.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I don't necessarily read them in order. I am way out of order with the Tana French series. If I am lucky to find an author with their debut novel, I do get every book afterward but it is hit or miss with most books.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I definitely do my best to read books in the order the writer wrote them, but it's not a must-do type of thing. I just like to see how a writer progresses. Plus, a writer doesn't always get better with each book. I've had to drop certain writers because of one too many stinkers (it always pains me to do that because I really wish I could love every book I read!).

Speaking of loving books, that's how I reacted to Susan Orlean's magnificent The Library Book, which I finished earlier today. It's part history of libraries in America, but mostly she reserves the centerpiece of the book to the massively catastrophic fire that swept through our main Central Library here in Los Angeles back in 1986.

It raged for seven hours and destroyed over 700,000 books. She takes us through the whole horrific experience by interviewing many of the library staff who were there on the day of the fire and intersperses chapters about the fire with chapters about the history of the library (opened in 1926) and how it's evolved since then. You don't have to love libraries to love this book, but you WILL love all the interesting facts and figures that are packed between its covers!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, August 08, 2019 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
What a terrible loss of books!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I had to put aside what I was reading when Normal People became available from the library. Got that finished today and like Ric and Teach, I enjoyed it greatly. I was a little startled when I turned the last page and came to Acknowledgments but, on reflection, realized that it was time for the story to end.

One of the things I appreciate about books is that we can explore any topic within its pages. So it makes me sad to think of a community that would reject an excellent book like this one based on its content.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Fern Michaels' "Sins of Omission". It was a nice long book. Not a typical romance. I would kind of like to read the next book, Sins of the Flesh, to see what happens next. Will have to find it somewhere, though.