TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 25, 2019

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 25, 2019 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, April 26, 2019 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Good to hear, Mamie. I'm on the wait list.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, April 26, 2019 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I started The Better Sister earlier tonight. I may be up all night. Lol

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Better Sister, not as much as The Wife, but it is good. There were times I felt it was taking too long to get to where it was going. Lots of surprises though.

Her book The Ex is good too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Even though I dropped the NFL because of its horrific treatment of Colin Kaepernick, I didn't let that stop me from reading Michael Bennett's excellent Things That Make White People Uncomfortable. The former Seattle Seahawk (and current N.E. Patriot) writes powerfully and eloquently about the Black Lives Matter movement and, especially closer to his heart, about establishing a coalition of athletes to spread the word about important modern-day social issues. I'm really glad I stumbled across a copy of the book - it's much too short (220 pages), but I'm sure he'll write others (he's only 33 years old).

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, May 03, 2019 - 4:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Debbie Howells' "The Bones of You." Pretty good, even though I had about figured out the twist before the end of the book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, May 03, 2019 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Miracle Creek by Angie Kim is an excellent book. It follows the trial of a woman accused of causing a fire that kills her autistic son and another woman in a barn hosting the Miracle Submarine, a hyperbaric chamber. It really is a strong character study and has the perspective of quite a few people involved.

Also for a lighter read, Swimming for Sunlight by Allie Larkin was good. Her books always have a dog front and center but the wonderful quirky older women, who used to swim as mermaids, surround the main character with such love. Lots of fun and touching as well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 04, 2019 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have not been reading books much, but just finished A Rift in the Earth: Art, Memory, and the Fight for a Vietnam War Memorial, which was of interest. I had only been vaguely aware of how the original and breathtaking design was threatened with additions and I remember seeing the memorial in person and the additions that I rejected, while immersing myself in the experience of the Wall, the names, the items left there (Those were all collected and catalogued and stored.. I read a book about that in the past).

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, May 04, 2019 - 10:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The Likeness is Tana French's follow-up to her debut, In The Woods, which I really liked. Sadly, I did not like The Likeness at all. I haven't decided if I'll read any of her subsequent books - I think I'll let a year or two go by before I give her another chance. I hate when I hate a book! ☚ī¸

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
High pollen counts and rainy days kept me indoors much of this week, thus allowing me to finish two books: Delia Owens' Where The Crawdads Sing and I"m Fine and Neither Are You by Camille Pagan. I enjoyed both but did have a couple of questions about the writing/editing of Crawdads and the mystery part of the story.

Crawdads is about an isolated young girl whose family abandons her in a North Carolina marsh area and how she fends for herself, especially when other people enter her life as she matures.

Pagan's book engaged me both with its timeless themes about marriage and also the lies we tell ourselves and others about how we are doing.

On to Big Little Lies which some of you have recommended.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I cant remember if it was recommended here or just a good luck find 'at the library'
I am half way thru 'The death of Mrs Westaway' and I am liking it very much. (audio book)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Betrayed" by Lisa Scottoline. It was pretty good. It held my interest.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
This afternoon I finished The Sopranos Sessions by Matt Zoller Seitz and Alan Sepinwall. It's a comprehensive look back at every single one of "The Sopranos" episodes -- it helps to be a fan of the show. There are a lot of great interviews with the show's creator, David Chase - it's pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about "The Sopranos" in one book!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished listening to Finest Hours and reading Nine Perfect Strangers. Both were good reads. I'm about halfway through Handmaid's Tale and it's not capturing me like I expected it, too. I even checked to see if I could just watch the show instead (nope - don't get the right channel). I'll finish it, but my brain is just not in the right place for a dystopian universe story right now.

Started listening to No Country for Old Men and am enjoying that one. Yup - that makes no sense given what I just said, but there ya' have it! LOL

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, May 17, 2019 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Note to Mak:

I finally got around to What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I finished it last night and, as you predicted I would, enjoyed it very much. A clever plot and written just as cleverly. It really makes you appreciate the preciousness of memories!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, May 20, 2019 - 11:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Tonight I finished Anthony Horowitz's The Word is Murder - it's really, really rare when I can look back on a reading experience as being, to quote The Beach Boys, "fun, fun, fun." This is one of the best mystery novels I've ever read. It features the (extremely unorthodox) device of the writer (as himself) inserting himself into the story - that's what makes it so fun. You really have to read it to understand (and appreciate) how delightfully Horowitz puts it altogether.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
That sounds good, Uncle Ricky. I added it to my reading list. 👍

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read Unblinded: One Man's Courageous Journey from Darkness to Light, Kevin Coughlin.

Interesting how hard he had to fight, and wait, for resources, as he went blind as an adult. White cane requires training, there was a wait, guide dog takes a longer wait and training, then he got thrown out of restaurants.

No support groups. Finally, though he did not have HIV, but was gay, a group at Gay Men's Health Crisis, who were dealing with sight issues as a side effect, decided that damn the rules, he could join.

Downside was his alcoholism issues, but he did not whitewash those.

His regaining sight was a one in a million.

Also finished another memoir of Scott Boltan, who had played in the NFL, then ran a business where they rented out jets. He was a pilot.

One ordinary day, he slipped and hit his head and lost his whole like. He lost his history, part of his sight.. His wife stuck with him and as a nurse could help navigate through the medical world.

This was fascinating, for sure. In many ways he changed for the better, and does an excellent job of detailing how he learned many things from late night television, because he had such headache pain, sleep was difficult.

my life, deleted.

Now starting a novel, The One-in-a-Million Boy, by Monica Wood.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Thoroughly enjoyed Big Little Lies like some of you and look forward to more from Liane Moriarity.

Followed that with Where The Forest Meets The Stars by Glendy Vanderah. It's about a precocious little girl who mysteriously appears at the cabin of a graduate ornithology student doing research in a rural area. Charming and fun story.

Ric talked me into The Word Is Murder and fortunately my library had it available.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 2:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Tresbien, Where the Forest sounds good, and it turns out I own it! In the queue..

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished Janet Evanovich's "Twelve Sharp". I haven't read any of the other books in that series, although I think I have read one or two of her other books. It was pretty good. Had some funny moments.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 5:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I hope you enjoy Wood's book. I loved her boy! She did a talk at our library and was very sweet and down to earth.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mak, I just started and am already sure I WILL enjoy the book and love the boy! How nice that you met the author.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I hope you like it as much as I did. To you and Tresbien, please don't forget to let us know what you thought about it!

I just finished Andrew Rannell's memoir, Too Much is Not Enough - it's marvelous and not what I expected at all. Instead of taking us through all of his TV shows and films, he focuses on his struggles to simply establish himself as an actor in New York. It's really well written and explosively funny is many sections!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Some summer reading suggestions from The Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/
entertainment/books/summer-books/?utm_term=.7091bca95123

Ric, I won't forget! Good reading so far...

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that list, Tresbien. I've just recommended my library purchase Lady in the Lake when it becomes available.