TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 09, 2018 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is a nice thought!!! :-)

My Mom was a big mystery reader so I ended up reading most (if not all) of Agatha Christie's books when I was still a teenager. We still have them and now I'm thinking it's past time that I gave them another look.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I'm jealous you got to read them as a young person - I wish I'd been exposed to her books at that age myself. Oh, well, I'll read as many of them as I can. (It won't be the end of the world if I miss a few.)

Sea, I hope you're right!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 3:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Or a fully loaded Kindle for some..

So Arthur Trulov was a sweet character in a sweet book of family of choice. Wanted it to last longer, but kept reading.

Now back to non fiction, to learn more about out friends to the north..

Women in Scarlet: The Groundbreaking True Story of Life as a Woman in an Elite, Male-Only Police Force by Karen L Adams, who was part of the first group of women allowed to train and become members of the RCMP.

She served for 28 years and promises to tell the good, the bad and the ugly.. And would do it all over again.

Just starting this.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Like a buffoon, I picked up a book from the library that I knew nothing about and checked it out without reading any reviews about it. I miraculously got through it, don’t ask me how — the “it” in question is Fiasco: A History of Hollywood’s Iconic Flops by James Robert Parish. A grade of D+ (and that’s being charitable). One of these days I’ll learn. 🙃

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Bummer, Ric!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, October 29, 2018 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thankfully it's a loaner and you didn't put $ down for it, eh?! ;) Extra points for slogging through it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, October 29, 2018 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Awwww, thank you both for your comforting words (which I don't deserve!) - very sweet of you.

I'm now immersed in Tara Westover's highly acclaimed Educated and, through the first 50 pages, it is extremely interesting. I'll be shocked if it veers off the interesting course.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Here's a new one.

Antarctica scientist allegedly stabs colleague for spoiling the endings of books

I'd tell you more, but I don't want to spoil it for you.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m trying not to laugh.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And yet there are people who go to the end of a book to find out what happened before they read it..

😵

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 2:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am almost done with my book about one of the first women to be a Mountie.

I am learning a lot about that time period and career in Canada, despite the need to tighten up the prose and for more editing.

For instance, she bought a "Shiatsu" dog.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh a therapy dog.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ROFL!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And she repeated this so it wasn't a one time typo.

She certainly has her failings, as she mentions often.. But she also accomplished a lot. There was great prejudice against women being in the RCMP, and it took many years before the women got to wear the trademark Stetson hats.

So many issues..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 1:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
So I just finished Tara Westover's Educated.

Back on March 26, Mamie gave it a glowing review but I somehow overlooked it.

I recall what a basket case I was after reading Hanya Yanagihara's A Little Life. Those of you who've read it know what I talking about. Well, that book is a work of FICTION.

Ms. Westover, in publishing this absolutely unforgettable memoir, has succeeded in wrecking me all over again with her TRUE STORY!

You may not read it today or tomorrow or next week or next month or next year. But one day you WILL read it and I'm confident you'll be amazed.

There are passages that are quite difficult because of the violence, but ultimately it's just impossible-to-put-down.

On the Goodreads website, it has one of the highest average ratings I've ever seen, 4.47 stars. Over 95,000 people have rated it and over 56,000 gave it the highest (5 stars) possible rating, while over 30,000 gave it 4 stars.

YOU. MUST. PUT. THIS. ON. YOUR. T-B-R LIST!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Rick - I'm still on a waiting list through Overdrive. Started out as #110 and am down to #6 (I placed the hold in August). Now that you've compared it to A Litte Life, I'm even more excited to get it. That book killed me - and I've not stopped recommending it yet!

I'm reading Crazy Rich Asians and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society at the moment and enjoying both. Audio is on Drums of Autumn since Outlander starts up again tomorrow.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m reading Drums of Autumn right now. As I mentioned, I think her Outlander series is getting better and better as it progresses.

~~~~~

I rarely read memoirs but I’ll make a point of reading that one after your glowing recommendation, Ric.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 03, 2018 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That one sounds good, Ric.

I notice it is compared to The Glass Castle, by Jeanette Walls. She also continued with Half-Broke Horses and The Silver Star.. Excellent memoir trilogy.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 6:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ric, so glad you loved it too. It is such an amazing story and it is true which makes it even more so. What she endured and overcame was incredible.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 04, 2018 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This is a feel good story..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2018/10/30/tiny-bookstore-had-relocate-hundreds-formed-human-chain-move-its-books/?utm_term=.b2a358af9f4b&wpisrc=nl_optimist&wpmm=1

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, November 07, 2018 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Teach, I hope your number for the book comes up soon. And given your profession, I'll be shocked if you don't love it.

Jim, I think you'll really like it, too. It's so well written that you kind of forget it's a memoir - just a really compelling story of one woman's life.

Mamie, as usual, you're way ahead of the rest of us in reading all the good ones (but we eventually catch up).

Sea, thanks for that link to that article -- definitely a feel good story (we can never have enough of those).

This afternoon I finished Bob Woodward's Fear: Trump in the White House. It's very well written, but the exasperation one feels reading about all the shenanigans in the Trump administration ultimately results in a feeling that's equal parts depression and anger.

Weinermr

08-18-2001

Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Weinermr a private message Print Post    
I just finished reading Lethal White by Robert Galbraith, which is the pseudonym for J.K. Rowling, the Harry Potter author. This is the fourth in a fictional series about London private detective Cormoran Strike and his partner Robin Ellacott.

I love her writing and this series. This is the longest book so far, and some would say it needed more editing. I don’t agree, I love all the extra, and the detail as I did in the Harry Potter books.

The language is quite graphic, these are not children’s books. But if you don’t mind that, then I recommend the series. They’ve also already produced TV series for the first three books which I haven’t seen yet, and I believe are on Cinemax in the U.S.

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
I'm going on vacation and looking for a good read. I don't want anything dark or heavy, but also nothing too light and fluffy. Any recommendations would be most appreciated!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 08, 2018 - 11:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Bring on the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins. And if you like it, there is a series..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 09, 2018 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Michael, good to see you!!

Ric, look at the top book...

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17276804011

Currently reading The Family Gene: My Mission to Turn My Deadly Inheritance into a Hopeful Future memoir.