TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 26, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 26, 2018 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, September 03, 2018 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Cure of Souls by Philip Rickman - always enjoy his Merrily Watkins series. Started in on The Secret Place by Tana French and hope to get it done before tech rehearsals & performances start this coming Saturday.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 03, 2018 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What are you rehearsing for now, Teach?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We're doing Disenchanted. It's the "true" story of the Disney Princesses ... totally NOT child safe! LOL (Just a few song titles: All I Wanna Do Is Eat, Insane, Big T*its ...plus we have a drunk Lil Mermaid and a Sleeping Beauty who talks in her sleep!)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 05, 2018 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sounds like fun.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 2:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the Jodi Picoult.. She tackled racism. It took her years to get to this book and she was careful to do her research. Compelling read.

Now I am reading Michael Ausellio's memoir Spoiler Alert: The Hero Dies, about life, his relationship,and loss of his partner (husband, at least as far as I have gotten they had rings and license) to cancer..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, loved Spoiler Alert. I was in tears and laughing all through it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, it is very personal.

I read one of Lauren Graham's memoirs awhile back and she and Michael are great friends.

Then when this book came up on sale at Bookgorilla or Bookbub, one of the blurbs was written by Lauren.

He has mentioned her as a good friend too.

Anyway, worth reading for sure.

Wahmmy

07-24-2005

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 1:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wahmmy a private message Print Post    
Fear by Woodward of course! Nothing I like better than to have insomnia and read a book that scares the hell outta me in the middle of the night. And is nonfiction!

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Just stopped in to make sure that Wahmmy found her way over here ok. Wouldn't do to have her wandering around lost.

Wahmmy

07-24-2005

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wahmmy a private message Print Post    
Aww thanks, Jmm

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Welcome Wahmmy! Stephen King couldn't write anything scarier, I'm sure.

I'm reading Death Dealer by Kate Flora.

I recently read Everything Happens for a Reason, and Other Lies I've Loved by Kate Bowler. Thank you for your review of it, Ricky. It does indeed pack a wallop! I too am embarrassed to learn that I've employed minimizing when hoping to "help". Now that I know better, i will do better.

Sea, I found that Picoult book compelling too. I loved the ending.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, the ending was very satisfying.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Wahmmy, please make a habit of sharing all of your book reviews with us -- we want to know which ones you like as well as the ones you don't!

Sea, I trust you'll end up liking the Ausiello book as much as Mamie and I did.

Mak, thanks for confirming the excellence of the Kate Bowler book - she's pretty amazing! I still can't get over that minimizing thing - we all do it (often!) without realizing how deeply unhelpful it is.

Last week I finished What Truth Sounds Like: Robert F. Kennedy, James Baldwin, and Our Unfinished Conversation About Race in America by Michael Eric Dyson. It was my first time reading Dyson. There's a lot of material covered, but he handles it deftly and is very educational, especially about RFK's interactions with James Baldwin and Martin Luther King.

I also finished The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie. After years and years of threatening to do so, I finally read one of her books. This is the very first book she ever published and it's also the first Hercule Poirot mystery. It was excellent, of course. Now I just have to read her 74 other books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, I did. At the end, I Wish he had updated on himself a bit, but that is probably another memoir.

I am now reading Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 14, 2018 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, Ric, and I am sure you will read themin order.

šŸ˜Ž

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I might make an exception with Dame Christie (and read them out of order). šŸ˜›šŸ˜›šŸ˜›

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
šŸ˜±

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 10:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
I'm currently reading The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz which is the first in a series. I accidentally read The Crooked Staircase first, not knowing it was third in a series - and was upset I didn't know it was a series....so I'm now starting at the beginning.

FYI: They're called the Jane Hawk series and in order are:
The Silent Corner
The Whispering Room
The Crooked Staircase
The Forbidden Door
The Night Window

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Those sound like Nancy Drew titles!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Hey I loved Nancy Drew when I was young (after Iā€™d read all the Hardy Boys).

The originals are a bit dated now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 17, 2018 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Me too! Dated and I suppose Nancy Drew is too. šŸ˜‰

Wahmmy

07-24-2005

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wahmmy a private message Print Post    
There was a series called Ginny Gordon(en) also. I was able to grab a few of them on eBay a long time ago. Similar to Nancy Drew. Never read a Hardy Boy mystery. Always up for Christie though all her characters were great.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I've read the Whispering Room. It was good.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
My local library had a copy of Kathleen Turner's memoir from 2007, Send Yourself Roses. In it she covers the first 52 years of her life, including her ongoing battle with rheumatoid arthritis. That section proved to be the most interesting because I knew nothing about that disease and she described it thoroughly. I had no idea what an awful condition it is.

Her recollections about the films she's done were very entertaining and informative. Turner's memoir reminded me a lot of Patti LuPone's because the two of them do NOT restrain themselves from speaking very candidly about the people they like and the people they don't like.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
A couple of titles I recently finished: Mad as Hell: The Making of "Network" and the Fateful Vision of the Angriest Man in Movies by Dave Itzkoff and Calypso by David Sedaris.

The Itzkoff book is excellently researched and focuses on the film "Network" and Paddy Chayefsky's role in writing it and getting it made. There's a lot about Chayefsky's history in the screenwriting business and all of it is quite interesting.

The Sedaris book is totally marvelous. I'm amazed by his seemingly endless supply of stories. This collection is devoted mostly to his family (father and siblings), his partner of 30 years (Hugh Hamrick) and their current life in the U.K. It's a quick and often-juicy read.