TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 03, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 03, 2018 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 13, 2018 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished listening to The Essex Serpent a couple of days ago. The story was interesting, but the narrator was ridiculously hard to hear. I've never had my car stereo set that loudly before!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 9:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mak, you are not alone. A few of us have enjoyed the Kepnes books and I think Hidden Bodies is not quite as good as You, but it's definitely in the same league. Remember that the Lifetime series based on the books premieres September 9.

Last night I finished Missing Mom by Joyce Carol Oates. Published in 2006, it's about a woman who loses her mother to a violent tragedy and how her life changes in the one-year period following the tragedy. I really liked it and it was better than the most recent Oates book I read. (But she's written so many, I can't keep track of them all.)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Hidden Bodies is good but not as good as You. I just remember thinking after You, what did I just read and why did I love it so much?! I can't wait for the tv show.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the feedback, Ricky and Mamie. I'm going to have to read Hidden Bodies just to find out what he did about the mug of urine! I am really looking forward to the show.

I am 56 pages into Clock Dance by Anne Tyler. I hope it picks up soon. It isn't interesting at all yet.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mak, I'm completely scandalized to learn that there's a new Anne Tyler and I had no idea it had been released! (I've read all of her other books.) I hope it picks up for you soon and that you end up liking it. But even if you say it's awful, I'll still read it because she's never let me down (there's always a first time, of course). In the meantime, I must get my butt-scratchers on a copy of the new one ASAP!

Last night i finished Everything Happens for a Reason by Kate Bowler. Oh, what a book. It's only 178 pages, but it packs quite a wallop. Ms. Bowler details her fight against stage IV colon cancer - at age 35 - while at the same time educating the reader about all the wrong/unhelpful things to say to someone facing a life-threatening condition. Some of her observations are shriekingly funny, even in the face of such a devastating illness. I learned quite a bit, I'm embarrassed to admit. I had no idea what "minimizing" is, for example, but now I do. As a result, I will discontinue using the words "at least" going forward!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Lol, Ricky! In my opinion, this Anne Tyler book was awful! I would like to have your opinion of it, however. I was very disappointed. I didn't like the way the book jumped ahead 10 and 20 years with very little explanation of what had happened in between. Just as stories were becoming interesting to me, they were dropped.

The Kate Bowler book sounds very good, and relevant to my family right now. I'll definitely seek that one out.

A newly-published Maine author will be visiting our library next week, so I'm about to begin his first book. The book is Among the Shadows: A Detective Byron Mystery by Bruce Robert Coffin.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 17, 2018 - 8:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The End of the World Running Club. Pretty good.

Then read Lauren Graham's Talking as Fast as I Can, which I enjoyed very much.

Starting a novel next.. The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mak, thank you for the assessment of Ms. Tyler's latest. I really thought her previous novel was supposed to be her final one. I guess she has decided to keep cranking them out. I hope I don't have to drop her the way I had to drop John Irving. I never in a million years thought Irving would write a bad book. His last three offerings have been hideous and I sadly will never read him again. Alas, these things happen. But we'll always have the great works to go back to whenever the mood strikes to relive the glory years!

Last night I finished Full Service: My Adventures in Hollywood and the Secret Sex Lives of the Stars by Scotty Bowers. The book was recently turned into a documentary (and is in theatres now, but with a different title).

The book, be forewarned, is extremely salacious. The quality of the writing is basically poor. I'm glad I was able to find a copy at the library because of the abysmal writing. Mr. Bowers provides first-hand accounts of all the stars (male and female) he has personally bedded. He also arranged for intimate companionship for literally hundreds of Hollywood celebrities dating back to the late 1940s and continuing through the 50s/60s/70s/80s and 90s. He's now 95 years old (he was 89 when the book was published) and the success of the documentary has resulted in his becoming a (minor) celebrity in his ripe old age.

Again, if you think you'll want to read it, please remember that it is extremely, extremely salacious. In other words, it's not for the faint-of-heart when it comes to graphic descriptions of the carnal habits of your favorite Hollywood legends of the past several decades.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the Berg novel quickly. Good one.

Next is a memoir of a father diagnosed with terminal cancer so he wanted to create notes for his daughter's lunchbox to last her through high school.

Napkin Notes: Creating a Daily Connection with Those You Love by Garth Callahan.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ricky I am hesitant about the Bowers book because I have serious doubts about the veracity of his stories as most are dead stars. Having read it, do you find him authentic and believable or should I take a pass on this book because my skepticism is justified? If you reccomend it I will probably download it as an e-book or is that upload it? And thanks for the warning about the salciousness and the quality of the writing. I must admit I am curious about his book but await your reassurances about his credibility.
I am paranoid about bedbugs and stopped borrowing library books a few years ago.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mame, I understand your hesitancy. I have no doubt his stories are authentic. The reason I say that is because Gore Vidal is the person who implored him to write the book in the first place. Plus, he (Bowers) had nothing to gain -- at the time the book was published -- from writing about his history. One of the stories, for example, made me wildly uncomfortable, but I could think of no reason why he would make something like that up, especially because the actor in the story (while a Best Actor Oscar winner from the 1930s) would be almost completely unknown to modern day movie-goers.

I read a few of the reviews in Goodreads by people who refused to believe the stories could possibly be true. I think that stems from them not WANTING the stories to be true.

I remember back to the 70s and 80s when I would tell my co-workers that stars like Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter were gay and the outraged responses "How do you know? I don't believe it!" etc., etc. Even when I would reply that I knew because I got the info from people I knew who knew them. They still refused to believe it. So I get why people don't want to believe stories like Bowers' -- I really think they're true, especially because of Vidal's "seal of approval."

Sorry about the bedbugs!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I remember finding out that people reading in bed is how library books get bedbugs. Big big ick! No way would I risk it nowadays. It's not just libraries, but at least I can avoid them. Still have to take transit, which is always a risk. Also why I prefer pay tv to going out to the movies. This phobia exacerbates my cyber-hermitism. ;(

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 20, 2018 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oh and thank you VERY much for you reassuring recommendation for that book. :-)

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Ricky... thank you for mentioning the Scotty Bowers book. I'd never heard of him. I'm an avid fan of old movies, most especially anything from the 40's. Stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood were truly stars and I've read many of their biographies.

I couldn't get to Amazon fast enough to order the Bowers book. I've ordered it and I can't wait to receive it. Thanks again!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'll be VERY anxious to read your review of the book, LB, so please don't forget to report back on what you thought of it. At the very least, I hope you end up liking it. (Fingers crossed!)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I just read a good trilogy for those who like less "deep" fare - was a great vacation series. The first book was "Born of Water: Elementary Magic Epic Fantasy Adventures" by Autumn Birt (and the two sequels). They are about people in a mythological world that possess elements of fire, water, air and earth (and there's more than that but I won't go any further into it because it's quite involved and also gives away more of the storyline). I got the first book free on Bookbub and it interested me enough that I actually paid for the second two books. Thought the third book dragged a bit but was pleased with the ending. I love a good beach read!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 27, 2018 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Last night I finished Robin, the biography of Robin Williams that came out earlier this year by Dave Itzkoff. It's very well-researched and offers a balanced glimpse into his long and storied life, warts and all. His insecurities were really remarkable, especially because he was so popular, so famous and so beloved. You don't have to be a fan of his to enjoy the book - the quality of the writing is that good.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, August 27, 2018 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Adding it to my wish list. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 27, 2018 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Napkin Notes is good. And a good reminder to live each day and leave people with written encouragement.

Starting The Miseducation of Cameron Post novel soon to be a movie.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
MB, unlike the Scotty Bowers book, which you might not like, I'm certain you'll like the Robin Williams bio!

Earlier tonight I finished the latest Allison Winn Scotch novel (her 7th overall), Between Me and You. I think it's her best yet - I really admired how she stayed true to the shifting timelines device. Once you get used to it, the story gets more and more interesting. Reading the acknowledgements page at the end, I was surprised she admitted to struggling with the device and considered giving up on the book and starting over! I'm glad she stuck with it because the final product is really quite outstanding. THANKYOU again to Mamie for championing AWS's works so that I could get into them, too!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, September 03, 2018 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Nothing makes me happier than passing on books I love and having someone else love them too. Allison and Taylor are two of my favorites and I am so glad you agree. Plus they are pretty cool people.

You will love Taylor's new book, Daisy Jones & the Six when it comes out in March. It is like the greatest Behind the Music and has a real Fleetwood Mac vibes. Brought me back to my teens.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, September 03, 2018 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I have been watching the old game show Whats My Line on Roku, which led me to Dorothy Kilgallen and a fascinating book about her life and death. She was involved in much more than Whats My Line, having a column read by millions, she covered big news trials and was the only reporter to get an interview with Jack Ruby--shooter of Lee Harvey Oswald. The book is The Reporter Who Knew Too Much by Mark Shaw. https://jmwwblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/27/review-the-reporter-who-knew-too-much-the-mysterious-death-of-whats-my-line-tv-star-and-media-icon-dorothy-kilgallen-reviewed-by-bill-hughes/

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 03, 2018 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the preview, Mamie! I just wish March weren’t so far away. ☹️

Today I finished Pops: Fatherhood in Pieces by Michael Chabon, which is a tidy collection of essays he’s published in various magazines. They focus on his experiences becoming and being a father. It was a swift and easy read - perfect for a quiet Labor Day holiday.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 03, 2018 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Miseducation of Cameron Post is by Emily M. Danforth.. A coming of age novel of Cameron, who is realizing she is a lesbian, and then her parents are both killed in a freak accident.

Her grandma is in her life, but her aunt moves in and takes over, then moved to a super conservative Christian church. Eventually a girl she is involved with turns her in as a bad influence and she is shipped off to be residential place where teens are guilt tripped and mentally abused because of their sexuality.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 03, 2018 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Now starting Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult.