TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 25, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 25, 2018 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I had no idea that there were 2 movies of 84 Charing Cross Road.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It has to be a jarring experience to have someone portray you.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 6:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I agree Sea, but I figure if it's done well it has to be an honour.
It was an episode of a British TV series called 'Play For Today': 84 Charing Cross Road. I'm trying to see if I can find it on YouTube or something.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oh my goodness I just found a treasure on YouTube!!! I just spent the entire morning listening to a Free (!) Audiobook of 84 Charing Cross Road. Best surprise ever. Fantastic! I highly recommend it... Enjoy.
Still haven't found the other British televised version with Anne Jackson.
(Can you tell I'm obsessed? LOL) Sorry to usurp This Thread. I'm handing it back to you guys. Xo

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
For sure.

Dr Wilbur, who was therapist to Sybil (and contributed records and access for the author of Sybil, was able to be a consultant when the tv version was filmed.

She met Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward when Joanne was approached for the parand was convinced that Joanne would be a very good person to play her. Joanne was worried that it would be weird since she played the part of "Eve" (based on real person Chris Costner Sizemore), in The Three Faces of Eve, but Joanne did indeed play Connie Wilbur.

And Sybil (real name Shirley) actually said she thought Sally Field would be good. Dr Wilbur was surprised, thinking of The Flying Nun, but Shirley liked Sally as Gidget.

Dr Wilbur had no actual say in casting, but that came to be.

Dr Wilbur and author Flora Rheta Schreiber each got to be in some scenes of the movie, but only one scene was left in the four hour version, in a scene in a bus.

She had fascinating stories to tell about the whole experience.

But I know that some authors end up having what is done to their books and plots. Even worse would be to sell the rights to the book and then nothing results from it.

Mame,I have been sucked into the YouTube vortex for hours, happily discovering treasures (sometimes).

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea, I never thought about the fact that Joanne Woodward play both a doctor and a patient in this regard before. That must have been fascinating for her.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I am enthusiastically reading this conversation! Thank you for all the added interesting info, Sugar, Sea and MameB.

Yes, I have been sucked into the youtube vortex many times too.

I am reading a nonfiction book about a "much decorated Vietnam War hero" who robbed a bank in a small Maine town in 1971, the largest bank robbery in the history of the state. He escaped by paddling a rubber raft down a stream. This was followed by outrageous adventures in Europe and North Africa, always on the run. I think he was caught after nearly a year. I remember hearing about it on the news at the time and am looking forward to hearing the details. The book is The Great Mars Hill Bank Robbery by Ron Chase.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 11, 2018 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That sounds interesting, Mak. At least he got his adventures in before being caught.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mame! I love the photo of you and Ms. Hanff. Now that I know you interviewed her, that's enough for me to seek out her book, which I have not read.

I noticed a copy of Corey Feldman's memoir, Coreyography, sitting on the shelf at the library and decided to give it a whirl, initially assuming it would be awful. I was very surprised. It's actually very good, primarily because he's so forthcoming with all the good and all the bad he's experienced over the years. It also moves very, very fast so I was glad to be done with it so quickly!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Loved Artemis and highly recommend it. It's not remotely a copycat of The Martian other than 2 facts: the setting is outer space (in this case the moon), and the narrator (a female) is a smart-a$$.

I'm still muddling through Master and Commander, still not enjoying it.

Today I also read half the book Rather Be the Devil (a Rebus Novel), and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. It reminds me of the Bosch books, just located in Scotland. :-)

Did I mention, I'M PAPER FREE FOR 10 WEEKS??? BRING ON THE BOOKS!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 1:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yay Uncle Ricky, do read it, and then let me know your opinion. :-) Personally I think you will love it and want to devour ALL her books!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 1:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sugar I just noticed your lovely comment waaay up there, and yes... do come to Toronto if at all possible this summer. I would absolutely love to meet you in person. You are one of the wonderful kind souls who was tremendously supportive during my Cancer situation. I am so grateful for that.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Although I certainly wish you had not had the cancer experience Mame, I am pleased to know I was able to offer you some solace.
I best look into renewing my passport.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
It's been awhile since I read a novel as enchanting as Amor Towles' A Gentleman In Moscow. The cast of characters felt like friends by the end, and it was hard to turn the final pages and say farewell to them. For me, the writing was exceptional and the story very special. A friend who usually passes books along to me kept this one on her shelf to read again. I understand why.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Since I had enjoyed The Woman In Cabin 10 so much, I was looking forward to reading Ruth Ware's latest suspense novel The Death of Mrs. Westaway. It held my interest, but I found it a bit tedious in parts, while waiting for some mysteries to be cleared up.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Dean Koontz's "The City". It was pretty good. I found it a bit different from his usual.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Tresbien, I'm so happy to hear you loved A Gentleman in Moscow, too! Enchanting is the perfect word to describe it.

I finished The Great Mars Hill Bank Robbery. It's a short book but took me a long time to plow through it. I couldn't warm up to the robber or understand his appeal to so many friends and lovers. Of course, a book can't really explain that. He seemed to be a troubled child who became very damaged by his time in Vietnam and the aftermath of that.

I've just started The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It's really good so far. I'll probably want to see the movie after I finish the book.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mak & Tres -- I just got the email from the library that my copy of A Gentlemman in Moscow is finally ready for me to pick up - yay! I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much as the two of you did.

Earlier today I finished Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. I was a complete stranger to her works. I can't remember who tipped off to this title, but that person raved about it, so I tracked down a copy at the library. I'm so glad I did - though it covers tough subject matter, it's essentially a story of a romance between two people who have to battle long odds to stay together. I will definitely seek out other titles by Ms. Moyes.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 4:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Ricky, there are now 2 more titles in the Moyes series....After You and Still Me. I enjoyed After You very much. Still Me didn't need to be written, IMO. It was okay, but not a must-read at all.

Enjoy that Gentleman!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Mak, for the endorsement of the follow-up. I really like the way Moyes unfolded everything in Me Before You - the anxiety of "what's going to happen?" gripped me clear through to the end. I love it when writers are able to build that anticipation - I think it's a hard thing to pull off. Oh, and I found the film version on Hulu last night, but I started watching it at midnight and fell asleep almost immediately. I'll finish it this weekend. Those first ten minutes or so that I saw followed the book exactly.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, June 21, 2018 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I recently read Still Me. If I had known it was part of a trilogy, I would have started with the first book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 22, 2018 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I adored Jojo Moyes One Plus One.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Friday, June 22, 2018 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, if you liked Still Me at all, I think you would love Me About You.

Ricky, I watched the movie and thought it followed the book very well. I like the casting of the movie, too. I think you'll enjoy it.....and cry.

Teach, I was wondering about that book. When my TBR pile dwindles, I may just add that to it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh, Mak, my husband and I just finished watching the "Me Before You" film and we're both wrecks. He scolded me for not warning him it would be so sad. 😢

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, June 25, 2018 - 3:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, you probably should have warned your hubby. I hope you had a box of tissues handy!