TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 10, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 10, 2018 users admin

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
The minute I saw Fifty Shades of Grey on the list, I realized it was more about books that have been popular with various age groups over the last 100 years or so.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
For sure..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 11:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I had the pleasure of reading The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan this weekend and it's all because of you who recommended it here. I'm too sleepy to go back into the archives to find the specific TVCHers who read/recommended it, but THANK YOU for doing so. It was a marvelous experience and it made me want to visit Scotland! (Maybe one of these days.) I was sorry to see it end.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read it and I am sure Teach did and....

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'm at 56 and yup, I LOVED the Bookshop on the Corner. It was my fun, easy read for this winter's crazy musical time :-)

I'm listening to Master and Commander (taking me a bit to get into it, but it's for June's book club), almost done with Little Fires Everywhere on Kindle, and about halfway through Beartown on Kindle. I've also got 2 deadtree books I'm hoping to get through this coming weekend.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Half Way Home was interesting, odd..

Reading a really thoughtful and insightful memoir,In Shock: My Journey from Death to Recovery and the Redemptive Power of Hope, by Rana Adwish, MD.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Did East Of Eden make the cut? Here I am 57 yrs old and I haven't read this. I can't believe it bc I do love Steinbeck other novels. So that's going to be my Summer novel.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
No East of Eden, Lakecat, but that's one of my favorite Steinbeck novels.

I'm burying myself in books with a week still left in school. ACK! Just borrowed The Artemis from my library for Kindle. I was amazed there was no wait for it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
No Steinbeck at all, hmm..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Popular probably being the operative word, Sea. :-) I know we don't read/teach Steinbeck in school like we used to.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 01, 2018 - 12:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't think I read him for school, just loved his books. Of course Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday were set in state here.

I would certainly drop 50 Shades of Grey for some Steinbeck.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Today I finished Allison Winn Scotch's In Twenty Years. I've now read all her books except her latest one, which I'll get to before summer's over. I enjoyed ITY, primarily because it's a family-relationship story and the "family" consists of five college friends who reunite almost 20 years after they've left the University of Pennsylvania.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 04, 2018 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just read the first chapter of The Artemis and I'm in serious trouble...I want to read it ALL tonight, and I have end of school year grading to do!

Master and Commander is 4 hours in, and I'm still bored.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 04, 2018 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am reading a memoir, Lab Girl.

The author grew up in her father's lab, worked a bunch of jobs to get her bachelor's degree, went on to get a PhD at Berkeley, then became a professor in Atlanta.

Part memoir, part course in botany and geology.. Holding my interest.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "Sunborn" by W. Michael and Kathleen O'neal Gear. It was good as usual. I have read a lot of their books, but not all. I would say about 75% of them. They are prolific authors and quite good, together and alone.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I've read a couple of J.M. Coetzee's books in the past and remembered them to be well written. This morning I finished his 2005 novel, Slow Man. Don't read it - it's terrible.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Lab Girl. Very eccentric, but then she is bipolar.

When she was pregnant, she had to go off her meds and actually required hospitalization, but she had her son and he was fine.

She had had labs .. After Atlanta they moved (they being she, her husband and her assistant in the lab) around, and when her son was ready to start school, they went to Norway. Her husband has talent and knowledge that allows him to relocate.

At the end of the book they were all in Hawai'i.

I checked online and they seem to be in Sweden now.

I learned a lot about trees and miss and...

And about the difficulties a woman can have in academe.

So.. to my delight a kindle deal popped up for a Trac Kidder book. He writes stunning nonfiction about a variety of topics and goes in depth.

His first book was The Soul of a New Machine which was mind blowing for many of us interested in computers.

And in this book he returns to write about One of the people from that book. I am stoked, to say the least.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I read two short books this week. First the novella Gwendy's Button Box by Stephan King and Richard Chizmar. Of course, in true SK style, the button box has magical and dangerous powers and is given to Gwendy by a mysterious stranger.

Secondly, I finally read the very delightful 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff. Wonderful book!

Last week I read an old paperback i had picked up at a sale, Beaches II, I'll Be There by Iris Rainer Dart. I loved the movie Beaches and can get choked up just thinking about it. This sequel just annoyed me. Cee Cee's need for attention and constant attempts to be humorous in every situation wore thin for me. The rest of the story was too melodramatic for my taste. Oh well, it was worth the quarter I paid for it I guess.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
84 Charring Cross Road is one of those movies I stop and watch any time I come across it while channel surfing. It is absolutely charming. I have never read the book, perhaps I should remedy that.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Makki so glad you enjoyed 84 Charing Cross Road. Sugar you absolutely have to read the book! Many years ago I interviewed Helene Hanff. Taking her to lunch in the Russian Tea Room in NYC was one of the Thrills of my life. Actually I met her twice and we corresponded by mail etc. She's one of my personal heroes. I have a collection of her books and saved the postcards she sent me, plus she autographed 84 Charing Cross Road for me.
I have a photo of us in the Russian Tea Room, I just have to shrink it to size to fit here.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, June 09, 2018 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

The late Helene Hanff, and me, at the Russian Tea Room in NYC around 1993.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
So Cool!
Mame, you have mentioned so many interesting things on TV Clubhouse, I must see if I can manage to attend the Toronto meet up this fall.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Yes Sugar, you must read the book. I didn't remember it had been made into a movie, so thank you for mentioning it! I watched it this afternoon and am filled with emotion from seeing it acted out with such a splendid cast. The movie leaves out some things and adds others, so I'm glad I devoured the story in both ways.

MameB, I love the pic and love even more that you got to meet and know Helene Hanff. I bet the two of you had some great laughs together. Did she see the movie? If so, how did she like it?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
She was okay with the movie but she preferred a made-for-tv movie that had been done earlier.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, June 10, 2018 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
The 1975 telefilm starred Anne Jackson and Frank Finlay. Helene told me that she much preferred Jackson's portrayal of her compared to Bancrofts portrayal in 1987. I've never seen Jackson's portrayal, but I loved Bancroft's.