TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 01, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 01, 2018 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It is fun knowing who inspired a song.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading a really good one, Defending Jacob by William Landay. It's keeping me guessing!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 11:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That was a well done one.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 2:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Amy Tan's book.. A bit uneven.. Sections about linguistics, but she has a doctorate in that subject.

She is very connected to classical music.

Her older brother died of a brain tumor as a young teen and after that her father died of a brain tumor.

She was in a bad accident.. This woman chose to hit her instead of a fox.. The woman stated this. Amy's car rolled 3 times and her brain was injured and she had to re-learn basic functions and has a mild epilepsy and is on seizure meds.

Her mother died after years with Alzheimer's.

Now reading Shonda Rimes' memoir, Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 4:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "The Secret Wisdom of the Earth" by Christopher Scotton. It was really good.

Before that I read "Fantasy in Death" by J.D. Robb.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Job by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. It's the third book in a fun little series.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I enjoy the Fox & O'Hare series. Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldberg usually have some good laughs in the series.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Tonight I finished Janelle Brown’s second novel, This is Where We Live. It started out a little shakily and right when I was on the verge of giving it a less-than-good rating (about halfway through), I was very happily surprised to see the second half improve remarkably. That’s a pretty rare occurrence, at least in my experience. I’m glad I stuck with it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 15, 2018 - 1:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hmm, I assumed this is not the Janelle Brown from Sister Wives..

I finished Shonda Rimes' book.. Interesting and she sure made big changes and is happier.

Starting non-fiction book Patient H.M.: A Story of Memory, Madness and Family Secrets by Luke Dittrich.

Billed as a cross between Oliver Sacks and Stephen King..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I’m pleased to report that Joe Ide’s follow-up to IQ is a smashing success. Righteous continues where the debut left off (more or less) as Isaiah Quintabe (IQ) searches for his brother’s killer and also takes on a new case that puts him in some vicious battles with bad guys in his home town of Long Beach, Calif. and in Las Vegas. Michael Connelly has praised Ide vigorously and that praise is well deserved.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sounds good! Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of four books (one of which is a Michael Connelly) with two more in transit through interlibrary loan. This is the first time in 10 days I've been home before 10, so maybe I can get at least one book done tonight! LOL

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Followers by Rebecca Wait. I highly recommend it. I am always fascinated by books dealing with cults and just what makes certain people follow along with things they would not normally do. Very good read.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
the Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. I like her writing and other books of hers that I’ve read. This story isn’t grabbing me. If it doesn’t pick up for me soon, I’m just going to skim through to the end. I have the Bush sisters’ book waiting for me at the library.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 12:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Today I finished Eileen, the second book and first formal novel by Ottessa Moshfegh. It's a wildly disturbing story of a young woman who wallows in mild self-destructive behavior. It held my interest but I ended being very frustrated with the ending. For that reason, I can't recommend it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It’s funny. There are some books where I immensely enjoyed 95% of the book but disliked the ending so much that I’m hesitant to recommend them.

LOL it reminds me of one of Roger Ebert’s (or maybe it was Gene Siskel) film reviews where he said about a movie “You’ll enjoy the movie more if you stop watching when she starts making the salad”.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Patient HM and was left enraged at the history of lobotomy as a "treatment" (often combined with other "treatments" such as being confined, put awzy, enduring being packed in ice for hours, being heated to a dangerously high temperature, electroshock..

And then having large portions of the brain destroyed .

This was done for so many years and left the victims with no short term, or actually just short last in memory.

The vast majority of lobotomies were done on women, with the goal of making them more "tractable" .

This went on into the 70s and the practice was discussed and upheld by a committee led by Ted Kennedy, whose sister, Rosemary was lobotomized.

The author researched because his grandfather was the second most prolific lobotomizers in the US.

One of the patients was the author's grandmother, which was difficult to leaen.

SO then I went to Young Adult fiction, Eleanor and Park. Well done, kind of sad ending.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Now starting Marrow: Love, Loss and What Matters Most.

A memoir of sisters

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 6:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I finished the Hoffman book, not one of my favorites. I did end up skimming the last half. The characters were never developed and the book was kind of a mess. lol

Just starting the book by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush, Sisters First. There is a section of adorable pictures of the young twins. It will be a quick, fun read.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "Dreamfever" by Karen Marie Moning. Total fantasy. After I read it, I found out it's part of a big series of books. It has quite a following too. It ended quite abruptly. I don't think I will pursue more of the books.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 12:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Instead of waiting for a library copy, I bought a copy of Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury, the astonishing behind the scenes look at Trump's first year in office. It was ultimately very depressing because of all the examples of Trump's buffoonery. 😬

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 1:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ric, that sounds almost... Masochistic.

You will need a cleansing book next.

I finished the Marrow book. The author is apparently some self help guru, so there was a bit more about that than I wanted, but she certainly has friends in high places in terms of endorsements for the book.

I did like the work she and her sister did to resolve issues before and after the Marrow transplant and before her sister died.

And now.. Back to my favorite series, Beverly Jenkins' Blessings series, rereading from the first, Bring on the Blessings. I have the newest from 2017 at the end and have the next on on order, due in September.

I love this series!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just read a really good thriller titled The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy. It is about a mommy's group in New York. One of the babies is missing and it delves into that story and all the "perfect" mommies and all those things we keep hidden. It comes out May 1.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky, I almost bought that book the other day when I was in Costco. I changed my mind at the checkout line because I figured it wouldn't change my opinion about anything and like Seamonkey said, it's a bit masochistic.

I'll wait til I find it at a yard sale or something in a year or two.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
We bought it to add to the sales tally because the more they sell, the more it irritates Trump. The sections of the book that focus on Steve Bannon are really interesting, especially his rants against his number one enemy, Jarvanka (Jared & Ivanka).

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, February 01, 2018 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
LOL, "the more they sell, the more it irritates trump".
I haven't worked for almost 3 years, many a medical issue, but using that theory, I may consider spending a few precious dwindling dollars to irritate it.