TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 09, 2018 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I would give up on the fog book if I were you, Teach. When in doubt, follow your instincts!

My library copy of Robin Sloan’s Sourdough came through the other day and it turned out to be an enjoyable experience. I think people who bake bread will really like it, though that’s not a pre-requisite. Mr. Sloan is an extremely talented writer and very young, too, so we should expect his future work to be exceptional as well.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
"The Spy Who Came for Christmas" by David Morrell. It was different. Okay. The author also wrote the Rambo books, among many more. I did not know that.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Thursday, December 21, 2017 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I’m reading Joe Biden’s book Promise Me, Dad. I’m almost finished with it and really enjoying it. I love Joe Biden.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished Becky Masterman’s latest, A Twist of the Knife and the third (of three) in the Brigid Quinn series. Quinn is about to turn 60 in this one and she’s trying to help a man prove his innocence in time to prevent his execution in Florida. It’s not your run of the mill mystery thriller. There’s a strong human element to the story, especially where Quinn’s own family problems are concerned. I really like this writer. I hope there’s a 4th Quinn novel.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, December 28, 2017 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rvon, I am reading it too. Makes me love him even more.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, December 29, 2017 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Sue Grafton died and so did the series ending with her last book "Y is for Yesterday".

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 12:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, by Matthew Sullivan. I liked it!

Tvwatcher

04-16-2004

Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tvwatcher a private message Print Post    
Just heard about Sue Grafton

I just started reading Y a few days ago - I've been reading her books starting at A many years ago

That's so sad

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes it is. I finished Y Is For Yesterday a few weeks ago. I don't think it was one of her best.

I had thought that the Z book was probably finished or darn near finished with a last edit or so yet to do and might be published posthumously, however, I read something about her having been too ill to write Z Is For Zero.
What a shame.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, January 01, 2018 - 4:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I managed to finish Tom Perrotta’s Mrs. Fletcher just as 2017 was ending. I simply loved it, loved it, loved it. There’s some extremely graphic (sex) dialogue which some might find off-putting, But he is so talented at writing characters that the graphic stuff can be overlooked. I wish it had been 3000 pages long, instead of 300!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read almost all of Everything I Never Told You yesterday (had gotten 5 chapters in the day before), and I LOVED it. Cried my eyes out - but what a cathartic way to end the year.

Today, I'm debating between Less and Sourdough. Both are borrowed, dead-tree books from the library, so I'll probably have to figure out which one has to be returned first....OR.....

One of the brilliant minds here can tell me which is the FASTER read, and I'll start there. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, January 01, 2018 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I’ve read both and Sourdough is a much faster read because several chapters are extremely short (1 to 2 pages). But I liked both books equally so I really can’t say that one is better than the other.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 01, 2018 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks! Sourdough it is. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, That definitely was a book that brings out the emotions..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Starting Where the Past Begins:A Writer's Memoir by Amy Tan.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Tonight I finished Atul Gawande's highly acclaimed Being Mortal. I learned so much about mortality that it made me extra guilty about not reading more non-fiction. Reading this book really makes you treasure each day of good health you are able to enjoy. With what seems like a billion different things that can go wrong with our bodies, it feels like a minor miracle to get through each day without some health crisis to threaten our ongoing existence. 😰😰😰

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 12:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There is a very good documentary as well..Being Mortal.

Amazon is telling me I have read none of his books on kindle, which I question..

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I've known a few people who were unable to read past the first few pages of Being Mortal, but I feel it's an important book when we're ready for it. It helped me to be more accepting of having to go through medical procedures this year followed by major surgery very recently.

Ric, if you haven't read them, consider for your next non-fiction read Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken or Linda Hirshman's Sisters in Law: How Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg Went to the Supreme Court and Changed the World. The latter I haven't finished yet but it's excellent. Right now I'm reading Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury because it's all anyone's talking about in the DC area.

For surgery recovery, I loved The Woman in Cabin 10, and I started reading Sue Grafton's books. They have kept me engaged and entertained this month. As always, I appreciate everyone's suggestions throughout the years.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have read Unbroken. Pretty sure Did has too?

A book I still haven't read, When Breath Becomes Air.. because I stubbornly hope for a quick sale on Kindle.. And the excellent The Bright Hour, which I grabbed the day it dropped to $1.99 (both books being $11 plus on Kindle currently)

Those have produced a new story.. Paul's widow, Lucy, who actually supported Nina via email before Nina died... met Nina's husband on book tour and...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/two-dying-memoirists-wrote-bestsellers-about-their-final-days-then-their-spouses-fell-in-love/2018/01/03/3143305a-ebe5-11e7-9f92-10a2203f6c8d_story.html?utm_term=.6f944308fabe&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Tresbien, I am glad that Being Mortal was able to help you through your health challenges. I hope your recovery from surgery goes well. I’ve read Unbroken, yes, and loved it. I will put the book about the SC justices on my list!

Sea, I read that Post story about the surviving spouses - amazing!

Earlier today I finished reading the debut novella, McGlue, by Ottessa Moshfegh. Her later books have drawn more acclaim, but I wanted to read her debut before those others. It was an interesting story but I ultimately didn’t like it. It was just too weird for me. 😳

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Read Sourdough in 24 hours...thanks! We have another snow day, so I'm finishing up papers and reading Wonder on Kindle. Hoping it's another 24-hour book as it's a library loan book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Wonder should go quickly..

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
So I downloaded "Wonderful Tonight" (for a whopping $1.99 on BookBub), which is the auto-biography of Pattie Boyd, who was married to both George Harrison and Eric Clapton. I realize it was her story, but I guess I wanted it to be more "their story" than her's (which I realize is unreasonable since it was her book...LOL!). I was quite unsatisfied because I felt more like I had read a glossy magazine article than a book that really told what it was like to live through that life...however, since she did get some of the best love songs of all times written about her I guess she has had a pretty incredible life (Something in the Way She Moves, Layla, Wonderful Tonight)...and she certain had to endure a lot and is lucky to have gotten through relatively sane.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I thought it was okay, but I had different expectations of that book.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interesting. I didn’t know who those songs were about, much less the same person. They certainly wrote some wonderful songs about her.