TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 27, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 27, 2017 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished watching Shetland on Netflix and liked the series. Most of them are 2 episodes covering 1 book. I have not read any of the books.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished re-reading "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King. It had been long enough that I did not remember a lot of it. Very good.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I just finished listening to The Wrong Side of Goodbye by Michael Connelly - it was good, too. I'll get on the wait list for his new one. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
WAIT, WHAT??! I have watched a couple of episodes of Shetland and loved it. I did NOT, however, know that it was based on a book series. Rather like Wallander, then?

Damn....now I have both books and TV to watch/read. I need to figure out how to get someone to pay me to do both!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 06, 2017 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Bright Hour was quite good, though of course it was sad.

Reading Letters to a Young Doctor by Richard Seltzer.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I very rarely will read a book after I've seen its adaptation as a film or TV series. I completely loved "The Leftovers," the HBO series based on Tom Perrotta's novel. I was glad it was able to last three seasons. It's because I miss it that I decided to read the book, just to see how different it is from the TV show.

I'd also never read any of Perrotta's other books, so I was hoping I would like it enough to inspire me to read his other works. I am happy to report that the book, while not nearly as ambitious as the TV show, connected with me instantly, so much so that I'll definitely read his other stuff (I really like his writing style). The TV series is definitely much better, but then the show would never have existed if not for the publication of the book!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I liked Perotta's Little Children and The Abstinence Teacher. They aren't for everyone though.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
You and I rarely disagree. Plus, books that "aren't for everyone" are usually right up my alley! I've noticed that Perrotta's latest (Mrs. Fletcher) has gotten mostly rave reviews, so I'll lkely get my buttscratchers on that one first.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, October 14, 2017 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
This morning I finished Kaira Rouda's Best Day Ever, which I'd noticed Mamie give 5 out of 5 stars to recently. Ms. Rouda was unknown to me prior to now and I was very impressed with her villainous "hero" Paul Strom. He reminded me quite a bit of the Joe Goldberg character in the You thriller by Caroline Kepnes.

The stories are quite different, but both writers do exceptional jobs of giving us wildly creepy main characters that grip our attention from start to finish. I hope, similar to how Joe Goldberg returned for a second novel, that we've not seen the last of Paul Strom.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Letters to a Young Surgeon, which was insightful at times, strange at others.

I think next is a novel, 2 a.m. at the Cat's Pajamas by Marie-Helene Bertino.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Monster in the Closet" by Karen Rose. It was mostly good. I would say a mystery/thriller.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I read 2 am at the Cat's Pajama's a couple years ago. I seem to recall finding it to be an interesting read.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you, thank you and thank you once again Mamie316 & Uncle_ricky and anyone else who suggested the wonderful novel, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo! I read it yesterday and I must say I quite enjoyed it.

I was pleased that the reason for Evelyn choosing Monique was not blatantly obvious. At least not to me. I'm glad the author didn't opt for any of the usual storylines in that regard.

This is the first novel I have read from the pen of Taylor Jenkins Reid and I plan on checking out her earlier work.

Thanks again to all who suggested this book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
YAY! II read that one on the plane to Scotland, Sugar, and loved it, too! Just recommended it to one of our library workers - but told her I didn't think our library book club was quite ready for it.

Meanwhile our library director is reading A Little Life and loving it, too. The best recommendations definitely come from this group!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
SWEET!! Apple just settled a lawsuit, and I have Amazon money to spend. BEST book recommendation needed - preferably a book I can read more than once since I'm actually buying it and not just checking it out of the library. GO!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Teach, my first thought when I sa 5he email was WAHOO! Second was I should come post and give people a headsup to check in case they haven't seen it themselves yet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got that email too!

This is the third settlement I have received.. Best class action lawsuit(s) ever!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Teach, I don't read many books more than once, but have read The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy several times. Have fun selecting one!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I'm thrilled (and I'm sure Mamie is too) that you enjoyed TSHOEH as much as you did. When you get around to reading Taylor Jenkins Reid's other books, I'm confident you'll enjoy them just as much!

Speaking of Ms. Jenkins Reid, earlier this month, she raved on Twitter and Instagram about Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. That, of course, put my curiosity on high alert. Miraculously, both it and Ms. Ng's debut novel, Everything I Never Told You, were available at the library!

Over the past few days I read them both, back to back. She gives us heavy, heavy family dramas in each, with EINTY, published in 2014, being a little bit more intense because it involves the death of a family member. EINTY is extremely well-written and by the time I finished it, I was excited by the fact I'd get to immediately dive into Ng's follow-up, which was published early last month.

LFE is a very-close second to Eleanor Oliphant as the best book I've read this year. I could tell, very early on, why Taylor Jenkins Reid raved about it as much as she did. If you love family dramas as much as I do, this book is a sterling example of that genre at its finest.

The story concerns the Richardsons of Shaker Heights, Ohio (mom/dad/two teenage sons/two teenage daughters) and the mother-daughter twosome who move into a house rented out by the Richardsons in a nearby neighborhood. That's all you need to know -- if you read this book, as with Eleanor Oliphant -- I can almost guarantee you will love it. When I finished it earlier today, I was very, very sad to see it end (VERY sad). It's one of those I wish had been a thousand pages long!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I read Everything I Never Told You two years ago and gave it a low rating because while I found it very well written, I also found it deeply depressing from start to end. I don't do depressing well.

However Uncle Ricky's review convinced me to give Celeste Ng another try. My library has 30 copies (ebook version) of LET with 6 people waiting per copy. Thank goodness they purchased 30 copies!

I also finished Black Raven by Ann Cleeves. I couldn't help but to compare her writing style to Peter May's and the fact that it didn't hold my interest as much as his series. Obviously the stories are good since they were turned into a tv series and now that I think about it, I turned off the first episode of that series a while back because I got bored, lol. Funny how one author strikes such a note in us and another talented one doesn't.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Kappy, You're right about Ng's first book being depressing - it is, wildly so. I should've mentioned that to alert others. Little Fires Everywhere reads more like a thriller because as the story unfolds, you get increasingly anxious as each plot point gets revealed. It's really remarkable how a writer as young as Ng is has been able to craft such an intricate story and keep all the action moving swiftly and at a fairly exciting pace.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I loved Everything I Never Told You. It was depressing but so beautifully written. I have Little Fires in my TBR pile.

I just finished Turtles All the Way Down by John Green. Loved it. Aza, the main character, suffers from OCD among other issues and at times it was tiring just reading about being her.

I am now starting Tom Hanks' new book and also reading The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. ( A sequel to Practical Magic)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 23, 2017 - 11:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
2 a.m. .. Yes, interesting is a good word.

Now starting Dish: how gossip became the news and the news became just another show by JEANNETTE WALLS, who wrote Silver Star, Half Broke Horses and her first, The Glass Castle, is a current movie.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, October 27, 2017 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, I read Dish many years ago, when it first came out and enjoyed it. I hope you like it too.

Last night I finished Theft By Finding: Diaries 1977-2002 by David Sedaris. Similar to the Andy Warhol and Andy Cohen diaries, Sedaris is his usual neurotic self and delivers plenty of mirth along the way. I read he'll be publishing a follow-up second volume (his diaries from 2003 to 2017), next year. He is a riot.