TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 05, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 05, 2017 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 12:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Has anyone else read Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig? I would be interested in your thoughts.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Since I'm behind TWENTY other people for Eleanor on our online library e-book program, I checked out Amazon. Turns out the Kindle version can be ordered for $4.61 and will be out Oct. 19. First - that's a price I can celebrate, and second - the Kindle will still probably be faster!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Bwahahahahaha!!! So that wonderful price on a Kindle book??

IT IS IN SPANISH!!

Yes, I teach Spanish. Yes, I can read Spanish. Yes, I should keep the order.

Nope - I didn't. The English version is $12.99....looks like it's going to be a long wait! LOL

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
But it'll be so worth the wait, Teach, I'm tempted to guarantee that. I had to wait at least a month for my turn to come up at the library. EOICF is such a fabulous achievement, I will be shocked, shocked (and shocked) if you don't like it!

That's wonderful that you teach Spanish! That's the only language I spoke until age 6. Then my mom and I moved from El Paso to L.A., I started kindergarden and within three months, all I spoke was English and now I can't speak my erstwhile "mother tongue" without sounding like a bumbling pen-day-hoe (sp?).

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Hey Teach, don't know if you know, or if it will matter to you...you might prefer to wait til you have time off to read for example. But, if you pre-order an ebook (they won't charge til it's sent to your account) they usually show up early by a few hours. I pre-order a lot, it is a NYE tradition for me to sit down with my brand new calendar and go through my favorite authors and series pre-ordering whats coming out the new year and adfing it to 5ge cakendar, lol.

Anyway, my pre-ordered ebooks show up anywhere form 4pm to 10pm day before release. I'm usually waiting for the new book, so it is exciting to get them early, lol.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 7:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I did know that War (benefits of being a gen 1 Kindle user). The preorder has been canceled since I will not have the time/focus I need to read a fun novel in Spanish during the school year. I'll just wait for the library (or a good Kindle deal)!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, September 04, 2017 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Ricky and Mamie, I LOVED The Woman in Cabin 10 ! I was drawn into it from the first page and sped right through it. I don't know what people dislike about it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 04, 2017 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
That's great, Mak! I'm so glad you gave it a try. Her 3rd (and current) book is supposed to be even better. I'm just waiting for my library copy to arrive so that I can dig right in.

Similar to what happened with Ruth Ware, tonight I finished Heather Gudenkauf's second book, These Things Hidden and was really impressed with how much her writing improved from her so-so debut, The Weight of Silence. This one moved along much more crisply and as each chapter unfolded, I kept having that "what's going to happen next?" feeling of anticipation.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm just finishing up a trilogy by Peter May, The Black House, The Lewisman and The Chessmen, and am extremely impressed with this writer. The series reminds me of when I read The Guernsy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and immediately wanted to visit the Channel Islands. As windy, rainy and cold as the Hebrides are, this series by May makes me want to visit that portion of Scotland. I highly recommend these books.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Oh man....did you just say this trilogy is set in the Hebrides????

I'm in love with Scotland....hope to live there in retirement....where I will be reading all the books you people keep *forcing* me to add to my To Be Read pile! LOL

(((THANK YOU!!)))

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 5:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Apparently September 6th is read a book day. You're welcome. ;) Enjoy!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I loved reading Sandra Boynton's books to my DD's when they were little. The illustrations and stories are both sweet and funny.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-) Jimmer I follow her on Facebook.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
If you are interested in a sweet little read, How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry is an enjoyable read.
I managed Waldenbooks for many a year and am drawn to a bookstore book.

To this day I still miss working in a bookstore.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, September 09, 2017 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yet another book I hated to see end: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah, which I finished last night. Wow, wow and wow again. If you read this book I can assure you that you'll not regret it. I learned so much about apartheid and about growing up with mixed race parents. He writes about his mother throughout the book and the final section about her is one of the most amazing things you will ever read, I'm 100% sure about that.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have this one on hold...but I'm number 15!!!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, September 16, 2017 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
You will love it, Teach, I promise! Totally worth the wait.

Last night I finished Allison Winn Scotch's second novel, Time of My Life, which had a very interesting narrative. I was toying with the idea of stopping when the story took its (very) sharp turn, but I "went with it" and I'm glad I did because she made me continue to care about the main character clear through to the end. I was nervous, though. Ultimately her writing style is just too good and the overall quality is so impressive that you go out on the limb with the story, itself very much NOT run of the mill.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
This afternoon I finished Senator Al Franken's Giant of the Senate after having waited over a month for my library copy to surface. I love his writing style: very straightforward, concise and easy to digest. A big chunk of the book is devoted to the gripping description of his first Senate race (when he had to wait for 8 months to be declared the winner). Other highlights include the tidbits about his Republican adversaries - I was very surprised how friendly he is with them. The most interesting revelation was how much he has had to work at repressing his natural instinct to be funny and how his staff has to remind him regularly that he's no longer a comedian, i.e., a U.S. Senator is not supposed to tell jokes.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
The more I see Al Franken on talk shows and in interviews, the more I lean toward reading his book so thanks for sharing that you liked it Uncle Ricky.

I am 20th in line for Eleanor ~ she sounds like she is worth the wait.

I just finished Maybe in Another Lifetime by Taylor Jenkins Reid and just found it okay.

I'm now debating on getting on the list for Sourdough: a Novel by Robin Sloan, the same author who wrote Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'll be very surprised, Kappy, if you don't enjoy Senator Franken's book - he writes marvelously about an array of topics. Please don't forget to share your review of Eleanor Oliphant with us -- she's so unforgettable! Sorry you weren't more thrilled with the T.J. Reid book (at least you didn't hate it - yay!). And I had no idea Robin Sloan had written the follow-up to MP24HB - I must add it to my list.

Earlier tonight I finished Becky Masterman's Fear The Darkness, the 2nd in the Brigid Quinn series. It began a little slower than I would've liked, but by the end, the story grew much more intense and made for an excellent thriller.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 02, 2017 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So.. Caught up now.

I did finish My Life as a Bench by Jaq Hazell. Interesting, and I love teenaged British slang too.

Read a novella by the same author, Shopping at Tesco, which was ok.

Next was a memoir, Black Sails, White Raven its: Cancer Was the Easy Part. I forget why I wasn't enthralled.. Oh, I think this was the guy who was bipolar and I think he was honest, which is good, but his off and on with his meds really messed with various sailing or rowing teams he was on.

Then one I REALLY LIKED!!

The Sky Below: A True Story of Summits, Space and Speed by Scott Parazynski.

Wow!! So much about our space program!! And
more!!

Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family by Amy Ellis Nutt.

Twin boys, but one always knew she was female.

Mom was immediately on board.. Dad later.

Really interesting.

Novel.. The Readers of Broken Wheel Reccommend by Katarina Bvald.

Bookstore, Swedish visitor, dying town.

Love, Loss and What We Ate:A Memoir by Padma Lakshmi.

Didn't know much about her strange life!!

Silver Star novel by Jeanette Walls, who wrote the memoir, The Glass Castle and Half-Broke Horses. All three excellent books.. First one made into a movie.

Reading a memoir now, The Bright Hour: A Memoir of Living and Dying by Nina Riggs.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, October 02, 2017 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Readers of the Broken Wheel Recommend.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, October 03, 2017 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend was a light, fun read.

I just finished A Man Called Ove and throughly enjoyed it.

Today I started "A" is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. It seems suspiciously familiar. I'm pretty sure I read it a long time ago, but I don't remember it. Even if I did read it, I know I didn't read the rest of the series.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, October 04, 2017 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
This morning I was very annoyed that there were no more pages to read of Michael Connelly's newest The Late Show, once I reached the 405th and final page.

It's a winner from start to finish and features a brand new heroine, Renee Ballard, a detective who works from 11pm to 7am - they give this shift the nickname of "The Late Show" - it's NOT a shift ambitious detectives aspire to. Connelly has created this marvelous new character and I hope he ends up writing as many books about her as he's written about Detective Harry Bosch!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I finished The Late Show a few weeks ago but didn't post about it because I found it just okay. Obviously I am in an extremely fussy mood when it comes to reading these days because it got rave reviews by everyone else on Amazon.

On another note, I'm currently reading Raven Black, the first in the Shetland Series by Ann Cleeves and I'm loving it so maybe I just need to keep my reading brain in Scotland for awhile! :0)