TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 31, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 31, 2017 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished it (The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo) last night! You were - as per usual -- absolutely right that I would love it. Taylor Jenkins Reid was born to write great mainstream novels. This one is her most ambitious yet (total success as far as I'm concerned). I was very surprised she moved away from the themes she covered in her first four books. This was a very bold change of pace for her - I admire her courage to take a break from what had to be her comfort zone!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read Bear Town )Fredrik Bachman or The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo TJR? If so, which is better? I've got an Amazon discount and can only afford one book.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 6:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Bear Town and heartily recommend it, especially if you liked Backman's A Man Called Ove (with thanks again to Seamonkey). Although this is a character driven story, much of it revolves around hockey. For that reason, a friend of mine was less enthused about it than me. I truly hope that won't put you off reading it, Teach, as it's not so much about the game but rather the town and the people in it whose lives are affected by the team's fortunes.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I read A Man Called Ove in one sitting (unfortunately, started at 10PM, finished at 2AM, and had to face HS students at 7AM! LOL). While I'm not a hockey follower, I enjoy it as much as football - I just don't have time to watch much of either. It definitely wouldn't turn me off of the book!

I got both of them as samples...have finished the TJR sample, and it's GOOD! Now to read the Bachman sample to see how it compares.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Teach, regarding The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, I finished it earlier this week and Mamie read it a few weeks back. We both loved it. (But then we love all the books Taylor Jenkins Reid has written.)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I disagree, I have enjoyed all of Fredrik Backman's books except Bear Town. I would definitely suggest My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry, it is infinitely better than Bear Town IMO.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Teach, goodreads has a good summary of Bear Town that might help you decide what you want to read:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33413128-beartown

Enjoy whatever you choose!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Great - now I want all THREE! I came here with it narrowed down to two, and look what you all have done! LOL

Tresbien...thanks - already been there. :-) Love Goodreads!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
The movie, A Man Called Ove, was one of my favorite films last year. I would suggest trying to find it, it was quite enjoyable.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I got to see it when it was out. Lucked out that it was showing the ONE and only Saturday I wasn't playing in a musical last fall. My mum and I went to see it at an indie film theater and LOVED it. It's available on Amazon Prime right now.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 6:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Decided to go with the TJR book as a purchase because I can get all the Backman books on our digital loan public library (which doesn't have a SINGLE TJR book). I'll be hoping to rectify that absence by sending a request to our director. She's wonderful about adding authors to the digital loan library!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just finished Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine by Gail Honeyman. I thought it was a good read. It manages to be both oddly endearing and rather sad or rather sad and oddly endearing.
It appears the Reese Witherspoon has optioned movie rights for this book.

I also read the latest Janet Evanovich novel Dangerous Minds featuring her latest characters, Knight & Moon. It was typical fare from this author, similar plot with moments of amusement.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman. It was very good.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, July 17, 2017 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I so agree about Eleanor. There was something about her.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, July 17, 2017 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes there was Mamie. I would like to see her again but don't think the book calls for a sequel. This story was told.
People do, however, have many stories in their lives.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 24, 2017 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Over the weekend I finished Ed Sikov's biography of Peter Sellers, Mr. Strangelove. Written in 2002, it was more reader-unfriendly than friendly due to an annoying amount of repetitive information. I could not believe how incredibly unlikable Sellers came off. The interesting parts were very interesting. The rest was a bit dull. If you ever come across a copy of this book, I recommend that you keep walking.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Traveling for 24 hours straight has its perks: between a 4-hour car ride, a 4-hour train ride, a 3-hour wait, a 6-hour flight, and another 1-hour flight, I read the entirety of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and on today's 2-hour ferry ride, I read Ibsen's The Lady from the Sea. Now I'm reading Tana French's The Likeness. I could very easily get hooked on traveling alone...touring wherever I want by day, and reading all evening long.

For the record: Scotland is the most beautiful place I've seen ... and I was sure it wouldn't beat Spain. I just want to stay here forever! Today was spent on Islay, and the hills, the blues, the clouds/sun/shadow, and the sea....it's just magical, quiet and a balm to the soul.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Finished J. D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy and found his life story fascinating as it featured so many highs and lows and challenges for him to overcome from his hillbilly roots to Yale Law School. I didn't agree with all of his social observations but found most on point.

I've just begun reading Nicola Yoon's Everything Everything about an 18-year-old young woman who is allergic to many things and is confined to her home. Enjoying is so far.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Teach, your trip sounds wonderful! I hope you have a delightful time.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sugar! :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 2:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That does sound wonderful!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
And keep posting pictures to your Twitter, too - they're great! I'm insanely jealous you get to do all that reading while you're travelling!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Dynasty of Death Taylor Caldwell.

It is VERY long.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 7:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
"Fatal Burn" by Lisa Jackson. It was better than I expected.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 31, 2017 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I recently finished In A Dark, Dark Wood, which is Ruth Ware's debut novel. She's had bigger success with her second thriller (The Woman in Cabin 10) and her third (The Lying Game).

I'm torn between giving her another chance or stopping while I'm behind. I just didn't like how she wrapped up In A Dark, Dark Wood, especially after it started out so promisingly. She writes great dialogue, so that might be just enough for me to overlook the deficiencies in her debut and then see if she does better with the two follow-ups.