TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 05, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 05, 2017 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Love it!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
That is pretty cool Uncle_ricky.

There might be something to this Twitter thing after all.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 11:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Very cool!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
That is so cool!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Uber-cool! :-)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I only had a few minutes to run to the library to return books that were due and check out some of the titles mentioned in this thread. I forgot the list of titles, grr.

Oh well, next time.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
THANK YOU, Ric!!!! You're a sweet and generous soul!!

Almost finished with Mirror, Shoulder, Signal and I'm enjoying it, even if the main character is a bit neurotic.

Our book club has The Woman in Cabin 10 on deck...has anyone here read it?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
You're very welcome! Plus, it's for a great cause (as you know). I'm really glad you're able to listen to books while you ride.

And, thanks everyone, for the nice comments about my "correspondence" with A.J. Finn!

Mmq1943

02-22-2011

Friday, June 30, 2017 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mmq1943 a private message Print Post    
Just finished Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. It will be in the list of my top 10 books I have ever read!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It took much, much longer than I thought it would, but I finally got through Kevin Kwan's Rich People Problems, the third in the trilogy that began with Crazy Rich Asians. Like the bozo-pants that I sometimes am, I completely missed the fact he had written the second book in the trilogy, China Rich Girlfriend. I was more than halfway through RPP when I realized this. Oh well, these things happen. I ended up not liking RPP very much, so it's just as well that I won't ever read CRG.

RPP is nowhere near as good as CRA. There are also way too many characters and only a tiny handful were interesting. And all the name dropping drove me nuts. It could never be a handbag, it had to be a Bottega Veneta handbag and never a diamond necklace, it was a Van Cleef & Arpels diamond necklace- very, very annoying. I was glad to see this one end! 😡

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I agree, Uncle_ricky, those type of books are irritating and bothersome.

I started The Roanoke Girls but not sure I will finish. Not in the mood for a multi generational incest tale.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished "The Aviator's Wife". It's fiction based on real-life, I suppose. It's about Charles Lindbergh's wife, Anne. It was a different read for me. Pretty good.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Author is Melanie Benjamin.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ric!

I can only imagine your chagrin!!

And if course I would be all verklempt about jumping ahead in a series just as you would, but I know you also like to read an author's body of work in order, so this would hit you harder.

Luckily, you feel okay abandoning this author.

Sugar, I get what you are saying, but got a smile 😃 imagining a different day when you think.. I sure am jonesing to dig into a nice big multigenerational incest story today!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 7:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Oh Seamonkey, that made me laugh and it is a dang good point. I can say that it has never happened in all my 21+++ years.
I am still reading it though.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, thank you for your commiseration. This is all a big reminder for me to look closely at the publication dates of an author's body of work! 😳

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I recently read (yet another) of Linwood Barclay's endorsements of a writer I'd never heard of (Becky Masterman). When he raves about a writer, I can't help but explore what all the fuss is about.

I pinned down a copy of Ms. Masterman's debut novel Rage Against The Dying, a thriller published in 2013 and set in Tucson, AZ. Its protagonist is an older ex-FBI agent, Brigid Quinn.

At age 59, she's not your typical crime-fighting hero. After having left the FBI to settle down with her new husband and a life of retirement, a serial-killer case from her past gets revived and she's pulled back into it despite the fact she's no longer an active agent. In finding it impossible to resist getting immersed in the case all over again, this tough-as-nails agent takes the reader on a rollicking thrill-ride in her battle of wits with the killer and with the FBI-powers-that-be who want her to stay retired.

If you read this book, I will be very surprised if you don't enjoy it immensely. (Ms. Masterman has written two follow-up novels featuring the same character - I will definitely get my butt-scratchers on those as well.)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I saw she tweeted to you too. That always makes it extra special. I will have to add her to the list.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Already planning to read it after seeing your tweet! :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
***Adding it to my TBR pile that is now taller than I am***

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
***Never mind....just found it through our state catalog in AUDIO! That will work perfectly!***

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yay! I hope the three of you like it as much as I did. The flawed, but not-to-be-messed-with agent Quinn is an instant favorite character to cheer on.

Mamie, just this morning I dove into the latest Taylor Jenkins Reid. Taking my time, don't want to wolf it down too quickly!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh I know that feeling. You want to read it but savor it at the same time. What a happy conflict.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I have books like that.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I know you will love it, Ric.