TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 18, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 18, 2017 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That sounds good, Mak.. And how cool to have the author at your library. A teensy bit "our" library after all that voting for it in that contezt. 📖

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Out of Orange. I thought Piper's book was superior but together they worked for me.

Starting another memoir Alex & Me:How a Scientist and a Parrot Discovered a Hidden World of Animal Intelligence .. and Found a Deep Bond in the Procesd by Irene M. Pepperberg.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
And how we appreciated those votes! We have hired the most perfect director to steer us into the future. We are funded through 2017 and working on 2018 funding. It's a struggle but we have many volunteers in it for the long haul.

Monica Wood was a very engaging speaker and warm, huggy person too. Some of the things she told us about the publishing business were pretty surprising, especially when books get published internationally! It's always interesting to get more insight into a book you loved, too, so it was a great evening and well worth leaving my couch.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I read Alex and me' I enjoyed it.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I also very much enjoyed 'the hotel on the corner bitter and sweet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is good to hear, Mak.. I certainly can picture you at that event.

Chewpito, good to know.

I haven't really gotten into it.. Too much time on Yahtzee, discussing Kathy Griffen on another blog, and our increasing problems with homeless camps discussion on nextdoor.com.. and People magazine downloaded..

But I look forward to reading 📚 it!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 05, 2017 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
As promised, I got my butt-scratchers on a copy of Not My Father's Son and totally loved it. Oh, my. I think it's a miracle Alan Cumming turned out okay after growing up with the monster for a father he had. Yikes! When I read a story like this, I'm reminded how grateful I am that I never knew my father.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 05, 2017 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I knew you would like it!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, June 05, 2017 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished my first Linwood Barclay book, No Safe House. Found out it was a sequel, but it holds up on its own.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, you know me well.

Heck, I'm glad you liked your first experience with Mr. Barclay. If you try his other ones, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ric, I do know you nonfiction side. 😎

Did you catch Carl Reiner's documentary on HBO, If You Aren't in the Obit, Eat Breakfast?

If you don't have HBO, worth renting.

Actually haven't finished because I don't want it to end.. Superior people, thriving.

Dick VanDyke has a new book.. he is in the documentary.

ETA. Superior? I think I meant super old..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I will definitely track it down via HBO On-Demand. Thanks for the tip!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So good!!! You will love it

I have been able to read more of Alex and Me.. Um, meaning I spent time Tuesday waiting to have a PET SCAN and today waiting for patient and at both locations my tablet refused to use the Wi-Fi,even though it was connected to the Wi-Fi..

So I had time to read .

Good book. Smart Bird. African Grey Parrot.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, June 09, 2017 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, loved it! They were all so entertaining. I adore Dick anyway but it was sure fun to see Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks and Norman Lear.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 09, 2017 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I know.. Just delicious!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 12, 2017 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished C.J. Box's Savage Run and enjoyed it. It was my first time experiencing a novel that centered on eco-terrorism. I was surprised by the (somewhat) extreme violence. I certainly understand why Mr. Box is so popular - he's written 21 bestsellers. This was the second in the Joe Pickett series.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 12, 2017 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished Taylor Jenkins Reid's new book, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. It comes out tomorrow and it is wonderful! Uncle Ricky, you HAVE to get it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yes, yes, I am eagerly awaiting its arrival!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
And I just noticed on Twitter that TJR herself "liked" your review of the book. (But, then, how could she NOT???).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am still reading about Alex the parrot and just love him.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished "The Double Bind" by Chris Bohjalian. It was good. A surprise ending, which is nearly always good.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am still distracted by Yahtzee but still reading about Alex and what a character.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I have read a quite a few books this month.

Bear Town by Fredrik Bachman. This is the first time I did not care for one of his books. I simply have no patience for that kind of sports mob mentality.

The Dry by Jane Harper. It was ok, predictable.

Talking as Fast as I Can by Lauren Graham. I enjoyed it.

I can't remember the others right now, my spreadsheet is on the laptop downstairs.

I am currently reading Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan and like it so far. Hope it doesn't end up being pedestrian or predictable.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I've never ever read an advance copy of a book. Until now. The film studio where I work recently purchased the film rights to a book that hasn't even been published yet.

The Woman in the Window is the debut by A.J. Finn and is an intense, fast-moving thriller that comes out in January. Mr. Finn is writing under an alias because he's an executive at one on the top publishing houses (don't know which one).

Anyway, the book will be adapted into a film, probably sometime in 2019 or 2020. The head of the division that purchased the book recently sent out copies of the book to various executives (including my boss) at our studio. The person who was passing out the books asked me if I wanted a copy for myself and I immediately said yes. (If it turned out to be awful, I planned to stop reading by the time I reached page 100.)

But it's far from awful. It's really, really good and will make a great film. There are three major twists in the story, so that is sure to guarantee the book is a best-seller. Assuming that happens, that will make it a highly-anticipated film. If the studio does a good job adapting it, then we might have another hit on our hands. (We can never have enough of those!)

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
That's great Uncle_ricky. I loved all the advanced reading copies I had from managing bookstores. I fact, I miss them to this day.

I did not know you worked in the entertainment industry. I think that could be a fun and interesting way to make a living.