TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 14, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 14, 2017 users admin

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Friday, April 28, 2017 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
When I searched for Be Frank With Me, I didn't realize at first that I got the wrong book, one titled Let Me Be Frank With You. The latter is authored by Richard Ford who wrote both The Sportswriter and Independence Day for which he won the Pulitzer Prize. As I had enjoyed both of those, I was happy to find another book by him. So far this series of novellas is interesting and very well written, but I'm looking forward to reading your suggestion, Sugar, later on.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, April 28, 2017 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "The Giant's House" by Elizabeth McCracken. It was very interesting. Not what I was expecting at all.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 4:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am reading Gloria Naylor's novel, Bailey's Cafe.. Odd, compelling, sad and repelling at times.. She wrote The Women of Brewster Place, which I didn't read, but saw some of the episodes Oprah produced and acted in.

I am not finding it all that enjoyable, I must admit.

Certain locations seem more like .. as stated they don't always exist.. Like the cafe..

In am guessing more like a way station, limbo, purgatory, the bardo?

I am unsure.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I was asleep at the wheel when Cleve Jones's When We Rise was published last fall and only became aware of it when it was adapted as an ABC miniseries a couple of months ago. The book is a much more in-depth look at his personal and political life. He has worked tirelessly for the gay community, especially in the aftermath of Harvey Milk's assassination in 1978, and his near-brush with death from HIV. He is, like Milk, unquestionably one of the greatest heroes in U.S. (and world) gay history. At 286 pages, the book was much too short given all of his accomplishments.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 01, 2017 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That miniseries was a good one.

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Just finished three World War II era novels. The first - "The Zookeeper's Wife" was a bit of a disappointment. It was just so boring with the writer telling more details about animals or insects than telling the story.
The second, "The Orphan's Tale" was about a Jewish aerialist and a young mother hiding out in a circus. Much better historical fiction that the first book.
The third was "The Chilbury Ladies' Choir" by Jennifer Ryan.
I loved this book. It was set in a little village in England and had a similar feel to the PBS series Home Fires. The story is told in a series of letters from the villagers. It's funny and sweet and just a light and enjoyable read.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Tresbien I recently did something similar.

I had enjoyed reading Linwood Barclays Trust Your Eyes and always meant to read another of his novels. Recently Uncle_ricky and others had again posted their fondness for Mr. Barclay's work. Whilst at the library I decided to check out one of his books. Once home I discovered I had a Barclay book but not a Linwood Barclay book. What an idiot I was, how I could not remember he had rather unusual first name of Linwood and instead went with, oh it was either Richard or Robert Barclay instead.

I have since read No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay which was fine albeit predictable.

Off to the library for more books.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just finished The Whistler by Grisham. Enjoyed the first half or so, but the ending seemed rather abrupt - it read like a simple listing of how they got the "bad guys."

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Grisham has a terrible habit of doing that. He sets up a good story and it's like all of a sudden he realizes that he has fulfilled his requirements for length and winds it up in some ridiculously unsatisfying manner. King has the same problem except King's books are long and entertaining except for the endings.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I agree Jimmer. One of the last Stephen King books I read had such a rushed ending I thought he got a call @ 10:30 am saying, "Hey Steve remember that book is due at noon." He then tippy tappy typed a quick and unsatisfactory ending. It was Needful Things.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, May 05, 2017 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am so excited! I went to the library to pick up a book I requested and found a new Jeffery Deaver, Ann B Ross and Frederic Backman in the new books section. Happy reading days ahead for me. I was on the waiting list for the Backman but the other 2 were fun surprises.

As for a series I don't know why I waste my time reading, Joann Flukes books featuring Hannah Swenson latest silliness, Banana Cream Pie Murder was extra foolish. It had a couple of recipes that looked interesting as a possible plus. The stories are all the same. Someone dies, the body usually found by Hannah, she bakes or cooks many dishes that are the best thing anyone ever tasted and they all drink an incredible amount of coffee. The murderer is obvious to everyone except Hannah and the cops Mike & Bill. The supposed surprise with Hannah's paramour was no surprise to me. I generally read these when I have exhausted all the new books that interest me. Just a silly don't need to think book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 05, 2017 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Bailey's Café.. turns out it is a portal and a decision point.. people enter from various places in the world and are choosing to leave to die, or not.

It WAS interesting for sure but I'm okay being done.

Now back to nonfiction, Ric mentioned Cleve Jones.. so I looked.. price higher than desired but I clicked on his link and found an anthology with a contribution by Cleve Jones and of course others.. and that was a good low price on Kindle so I snagged it. How AIDS Ends: An Anthology from San Francisco Aids Foundation.

Definitely interesting.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So I finished.. And there was such hope and excitement in 2012.

I am concerned about the current situation...

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Next to start is a memoir by Mark Vonnegut, MD, son of Kurt.. Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
From a note on the title..

quote:

When I talk to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and other patient support groups, I take questions at the end. At one talk I was asked, "What's the difference between yourself and someone without mental illness?"

At another talk I was asked, "How do you make the voices be not so mean?"

I wish I knew.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 08, 2017 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well how interesting.. lots of mental health issues on both sides of the family.. the author and his sister both diagnosed with schizophrenia (maybe bipolar), their mother heard voices, dad Kurt talked of suicide, and back in the generations.

But Dr Vonnegut makes sharp observations on the evolution of medicine an he's not happy about it.

I actually woke up in the night and finished it.

I've next started a memoir by Scott Simon, Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other: In Praise of Adoption.

Liking it so far..

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer And Longer by Fredrik Backman was a sweet novella. Grandpa struggles to retain memories and make his losing them less frightening for his grandson.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, don't forget to give us your impression of the Cleve Jones book you found.

I have a running friend, Carilyn Johnson, who runs at an elite level for ultramarathons. In other words, she's a really, really good athlete, especially at the 100-mile distance. In a recent Twitter post she mentioned her sister, Linda Francis Lee.

Ms. Lee, it turns out, has published over 20 novels! I scolded Carilyn for failing to mention this little tidbit (she knows how much I love books).

Anyway, I found a copy of The Glass Kitchen, which Ms. Lee wrote in 2014. I finished it last night and liked it (for the most part). I told a teeny, tiny white lie in my Twitter review of it (calling it "terrific") - it WAS terrific in a few sections, but the rest really wasn't that remarkable. I hung on til the end, but as I was working my way there I told myself "this is likely my first and last foray into Ms. Lee's brand of storytelling."

It just wasn't interesting and her style of writing was very stilted in spots. Not quite cringeworthy, but close. Since this is one of her most recent books, maybe her earlier books are better.

I wish I'd liked it more. But that's as far as I'm going to go (and hope that Carilyn doesn't ask me -- at some point in the future -- when I'll be reading more of her sister's books). I doubt she'll put me on the spot like that. But, then, I should've kept my big trap shut and not scolded her in the first place for not telling me about her writer sister!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, guess I didn't say much.. it was a variety of authors all from San Francisdo. Interesting in terms of history and hopefulness but then I worry about present day support.

I was interested in key roles played by George W Bush's foundation and Bill Clinton's foundation in support of getting treatment for HIV/AIDS out in many countries and how much credit some of the authors gave them..

I just would like to see how they are feeling now, in terms of progress AND what may happen now.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, May 12, 2017 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I finished Miss Julia Weathers the Storm by Ann B. Ross. I find these books to be a fun little series to read and have enjoyed them all.

Started the new Jeffery Deaver, The Burial Hour. I have liked almost off of his books, particularly the Lincoln Rhyme series.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished re-reading/listening to both Drums of Autumn (Gabaldon) and Night (Wiesel). I'm close to finishing Lord and Master (Jagger) - a pure smut book just for fun with an online reading club, and just started In the Woods (French) - which I'm enjoying so far as it's set in Dublin and the narrator doesn't take himself too seriously.

School craziness has finally subsided, so I'm looking forward to reading a LOT more!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Got a Pick-Your-Brains type of question...

I'm reading Maus: A Survivor's Tale - My Father Bleeds History with my Holocaust Lit. class. I've read it a number of times, but I've never taught a graphic novel before. If you were a HS teen reading a graphic novel, what types of discussions and activities would help you enjoy it more?

Our class's focus is "Tell your story and listen to others' stories." Their final project will be telling a story (either theirs or someone else's who is important to them). I've said I want it to be visual, but I've not specified what kinds of visuals. Should I have them do a 4-6 block mini-story in graphic novel style to give them a taste of what they might do? As a NON-artist, that kind of project would scare me, but I think if I had access to online visuals, I could probably pull it off.

The topic/themes are no big deal as we deal with those all the time. I'm just wondering how best to bring in the picture aspect of it all.

THANKS for your feedback. :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Teach, I love the idea of the graphic novel. With everything computerized and kids much smarter than I, I bet they would come up with some great little stories.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Sounds as though there are so many option Teachmichigan and a great project.

Graphic novel, storyboard, collage, pop-up book, stage set, live theatre, popscicle sticks, flip book, felt board, toy story, arcade game, film/video...

Let us know what projects they decide to use for their assignment.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 3:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I think the graphic novel style of project sounds pretty cool. If the kids aren't artists and can't draw, perhaps they could work something up on the computer to fill in the blocks? There are tons of graphics, images and clipart that aren't under copyright and most kids are pretty techie. I'm constantly surprised what even my younger nieces and nephew can do on a computer!