TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 05, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 05, 2016 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mamie and Jim. What definitely wasn't "cool" that day was me telling him, "I've seen 'You Only Live Twice' 26 times'" - as if he could give a you-know-what about that! I cringe to this day. He was gracious and replied, "Oh, really? How wonderful for you."

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
LOL ~ Love your stories, Uncle Ricky!

I finally got around to reading A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. Yet again, another book I almost put down but am glad I continued on to finish it. She does create some well developed characters. I was sad to see the book end.

Reenie ~ Was The Woman in Cabin 10 recommended in one of Oprah's email lists? I know I recently read about it and put it on my wishlist at the library.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - I can just hear him saying that - too funny!

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
I am reading "Mata Hari's Last Dance" by Michelle Moran, a wonderful historical novel about the WWI spy. I am really enjoying it, Mata was quite scandalous and was the Madonna (and then some) of her day.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Kappy - I don't know if The Woman in Cabin 10 was on the Oprah list! I really enjoyed it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finally finished the book on common medical screw ups and there were so many places I highlighted and a few things I will be asking my doctor.

Meanwhile another Catherine Ryan Hyde book went on sale and I always get hooked on those.. always a story where you want to find out what happens, always including hurt/damaged people overcoming, always including the coming together of unlikely people and often including horses.. anyway I'm over half through Leaving Blythe River. This is the 13th of her books I've gotten for $1.99. She is famous for writing Pay it Forward, which didn't have horses, as I recall ;)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, August 26, 2016 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished a Jackie Collins book, "Goddess of Vengeance". I enjoyed it. I have read a few of her books years ago. Hard to believe she's gone now.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Oh sweet heavens - am I being too picky? A bit cranky on a Saturday?

I enjoyed the first 3-4 chapters of the book The Charm Bracelet as it was focused on mother/daughter tension, 3 generations of a family, and was set on the shores of Lake Michigan.

This morning, the book jumped back to an Irish immigrant and 1) she says the smell of the lake was the smell of home (salt water and fresh water beaches just do NOT smell the same) and then 2) when she is kissed she "collapsed" into the man who, who for a "big man" has a kiss "as tender and gentle as soft rain." I'm sorry - this young lady had the fortitude to travel across the ocean - alone, made her way in NYC as a seamstress - alone, - eventually saves up $ to make it to Michigan and some of her distant family - alone, and now a soft kiss causes collapse? UGH! I wonder if the author's middle school daughter wrote this chapter?

(And I fervently hope that the book improves very quickly or I shall be skimming the rest.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach.. I'd say no..

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I love it when the guy's kiss makes 'em swoon! ;)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I did finish Leaving Blythe River quickly.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Damon Galgut is a South African writer I knew nothing about until I read a glowing tweet that Garth Greenwell wrote about Galgut's 2010 book, In A Strange Room. Greenwell said it's one of the best novels about being alone or about loneliness, something like that. Anyway, I found a copy and read it these past couple of days and LOVED it. It follows a man who tries to connect, but fails, with three different groups of people while travelling throughout various African cities. An earlier book of his, The Good Doctor, is supposed to be even better, so I'll probably track that one down, too.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Rupert - I like it, too, but only when it's well-written and works with the character. :-)

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Oh, I hear ya, Teach.

When there are so many books to read and only a limited amount of time, we can't waste it on the duds. :-)

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
I started reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins published in 1859. I had read/seen something concerning it (but can't remember where) and I'm reading it on my Kindle. It's suspenseful but drawn out so far. It's from several narratives, all relating and leading up to events. I want to be reading it instead of housework, paid work, etc...

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I love Wilkie! If you end up liking the whole book, I highly recommend The Moonstone which is better, but not as well known as TWIW.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Starting to read The Shift: One Nurse, Twelve Hours, Four Patients' Lives by Thresa Brown, RN.

She works in an oncology unit. Nonfiction.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Wilkie Collins is one of my daughter's favorite writers.

Scotchbright

10-05-2006

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scotchbright a private message Print Post    
Thanks Uncle_ricky - I'll have to remember that for I'm done. It's crazy suspenseful so far. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It's my pleasure, Scotch. He's so underrated, too. He definitely belongs in that circle of esteemed English literari who are so dear to my heart. His works stack up well alongside his contemporaries, titans one and all, e.g., T. Hardy, A. Trollope, G. Eliot, J. Austen, C. Dickens, W.M. Thackeray, the Bronte sisters.

Mamie, your daughter -- just like her mom -- has truly excellent taste!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I just finished Pride and Prejudice. I haven't read it in a long time and thoroughly enjoyed it again. I am glad to be a woman in this era. Women had no rights!

Buba1113

07-20-2009

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Buba1113 a private message Print Post    
Reading Light Between Oceans

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 3:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished Zero Day by David Baldacci. It's the first in the John Puller series. I found it so so.

Moving on to Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, September 05, 2016 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Dead Girls are Easy" by Terri Garey. It was cute. The main girl has a near death experience, and after that she sees dead people.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 05, 2016 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The highlight of my weekend was finishing Trouble Boys - The True Story of The Replacements by Bob Mehr. I've loved many bands over the years and The Replacements have always been in my top five. I'd read a couple of other biographies about them and those were only mildly good. Mr. Mehr has written the definitive history about this vastly underrated (but deeply troubled) quartet from Minneapolis whose glory years occurred during the mid-'80s to early '90s. It took him 6 years to write it and he's done a masterful job of capturing all the highs and lows of their career, which, sadly, had way more of the latter than the former.