TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 27, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 27, 2016 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
She's due July 5th. Lots of people are saying it will be the 4th. I think she's ready for Luke to come out. And I am loving every minute of being here with her. (I do miss my husband though)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, sorry to hear you're behind on you reading! Thanks for the reminder about Mr. Robison. I intend to start with his first one, Look Me in the Eye.

Teach, so glad you've caught up with A Little Life - yay! I hope you like What Belongs to You - I'll be very curious to know what you think.

Mamie, I'm sorry your reading time is limited, too, but considering the circumstances, I'm sure you don't mind. I hope the birth day gets here quickly. My husband's birthday is July 6, so I'm partial to that one. At lunch today I finished the newest by Taylor Jenkins Reid, One True Loves. It's definitely my new favorite by her (though her three earlier ones are a close 2nd, 3rd and 4th). Thank you again for turning me on to her!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, how exciting.. get in lots of time with your lovely daughter and the next generation.. time for you to look to the future -- Luke.

My brother was born on July 17 and I'm sure in early years he just thought all the fireworks were for his birthday.

That IS a hot and humid time of year to be full term. My mom planned each of us for earlier in spring but didn't want to postpone my brother for another year so she got the heat and of course no A/C.

Luke is a good name and I haven't heard it endlessly so that's nice.

I am still reading Frank Deford's memoir and it is good, but books are virtually "stacking up" on my tablet. He certainly has information I never heard before.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ric, I haven't gotten to Taylor's book yet and I have had it for months!

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I agree Sea...Luke is a beautiful name and Mame is gonna be a doting Grandma! :-)

Ok, if we're guessing when he's gonna arrive I'll take July 10th...no real reason, 'cept sometimes the first ones go overdue.

(Though all four of my boys were early, but then again, due dates are only guesses.)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The doctor said she won't let her go past July 12th so that could be too!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Ric, just started One True Loves and am in love starting with the first line! Can't wait to read the rest.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I know! I had to re-read that first line at least three times. She is incredibly gifted at making us care about her characters. I think that's why I love her writing so much. I hope you end up liking it as much as I did!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finishing "The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper", and really enjoying it. A pleasant, charming, insightful book.

MAMIE, very exciting waiting for your grandbaby!! Luke is a great name.

On the Taylor Jenkins Reid books, should I start at the first book or is jumping into One True Loves ok?

Akwarlord47

06-26-2007

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Akwarlord47 a private message Print Post    
Currently listening to the audio book from Fmr Secty Robert Gates. DUTY: Memoirs of a Secretary at war. It is a little dry, but the information he shares about mistakes and successes that we as the public knew little or nothing about. Really interesting and I would recommend it.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Reenie, you can start with the latest one, yes. Her four books are all stand-alone stories.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, June 17, 2016 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
ThanksRicky!!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Reenie, hope you love her as much as we do!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
You're welcome, Reenie. And I share Mamie's hope as well!

Over the weekend I finished what I am certain will be my final foray into Young Adult fiction: It's All Your Fault by Paul Rudnick. It would take all day to come up with enough adjectives to describe its awfulness. There are some books where you just ask, "How in the world did that thing get published?" This is one of those books. Oy!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 20, 2016 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Welp. I finished One True Loves- Mamie and Ricky. I Couldn't put it down! Thank you so much for turning me on to this author. It was just the type of book I was looking for. A summer read with some depth.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 4:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am so glad I am reading it right now.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Wonderful news, Reenie! And Mamie deserves ALL the thanks. At this time last year I had no idea Taylor Jenkins Reid even existed -- she is a treasure. I've now commenced waiting (impatiently) for her 5th book!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
You all sent me to my local library looking. We only have one Reid novel (Maybe in Another Life), but One True Loves isn't available even through our electronic library loan. Grrr...hate to pay $12 for a Kindle book.

I'm currently finishing up Confessions of a Prairie and enjoying it immensely. A Little Life is going a bit slower on audio as I've not had as much time in the car lately as usual. }

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Under the Wide and Starry Sky" by Nancy Horan. It's fiction based on fact about Robert Louis Stevenson. It was good.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Akwarlord...I can see that even though you're retired, it all holds a great deal of interest for you still. :-)

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I have to thank the posters in this thread for all the great book recommendations. I just finished reading Justin Cronin's The Passage and The Twelve. Wow, just WOW! These books were page turners and I finished both of them in 7 days which is a record reading pace for me. I am number 13 on my Library Hold List for The City of Mirrors, the last book of the trilogy. However, DH and I happened to go out to dinner and nearby was a Barnes and Noble, so after dinner we went inside and I found The City of Mirrors and read the first chapter. Oh wow, can a storyline get any better? Now I am biting at the bit waiting for my number to come up for the Library Hold.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I love that you love them, Egbok! You will not be disappointed in the final book.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, June 27, 2016 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I just finished Whitney Thore's book, "I do it with the lights on".
It's well-written and very hard to read about some of her experiences. It gives a much better picture of her as a person than the tv show does. Reality shows seem to love to put someone on a pedestal and then delight in taking them back off of it and this last season, they definitely seemed to be painting her in a much worse light than previous seasons.

I was very excited to find a new book - "The Selected Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder" by William Anderson. I know many of these have been published before, but it's always fun to find something new.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I've now read two bombs in a row. Grrrrr. Yesterday I finished Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart. I can't remember how that one got on my radar but I really wish it hadn't. At 400 pages, at least 200 of them could have been excised. The plot points were wildly repetitive and, worse, extremely bland. I'm completely flummoxed by all the praise this book has received. Grrrrr.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 27, 2016 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished a book with an interesting twist but not one that I fell over myself about. All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda is told backwards. A girl goes missing (or I should say another girl goes missing) and the story goes from day 15 of the search back to day 1. It was confusing. I loved the ending but the ending shouldn't be the best thing about a book.