TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 06, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 06, 2016 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read Unbroken and it was very good.

A Week in Winter was enjoyable. I think Night Classes (I think that is it.. where the main character gives Italian lessons and they the class goes to Italy and we learn of the background of why she knew Italian in the first place..) was one of my favorites.

I want to read Sisters in Law.

Sandra Day O'Connor had an earlier book about growing up on a ranch.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am enjoying learning about Elon Musk. His ancestors came to the US from Europe way back and lived on the plains and then in Canada. There was a ranch in each country and at least two generations of chiropractor too. His grandfather (maternal.. the father of Elon's mother) was quite something, Chiropractor but loved flying a single engine plane. He became disenchanted with what he considered lack of personal freedom in Canada so they sold everything and packed up the plane and the children and went to South Africa and ended up in Pretoria. There were many trips in that plane, in fact they may have been the only single engine plane to make certain long distance flights.. to Australia and up Africa and beyond. Eventually he was killed in the plane when it hit an invisible wire.

Anyway, Elon was a product of South Africa but had travelled and he wanted out of there.. not just apartheid but he was kind of a geek and not like the white males there either. So he came to the US. I'm not there yet in the book.

He was the creator of PayPal.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Sea, thanks for mentioning Night Classes. My friend said there was a book set in Italy that I might enjoy, but she couldn't recall its title. I'll put that on my list.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
So nice to hear, Tresbien! Can you believe, even after reading it four times, all I have to do is THINK of little Owen and I instantly get verklempt.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Finished the first book in a trilogy, Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay. Loved it and looking forward to seeing where it goes in book two, which I will be diving into shortly.

Ricky, I mentioned you in my review of the book. You were the one to steer me in his direction.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yes, I noticed it because I was on Twitter right when you posted it there and then read the review immediately! (I've been on nins and peedles ever since you said you'd begun reading it). I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. But I'm MORE thrilled that you mentioned me in your review - I'm honored - thank you!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Starting "Broken Promise", how could I resist?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I suddenly thought.. and checked and it is

Evening Class by Maeve Binchy.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Thanks for clarifying the title Sea. I'll be sure to look check the library for it as I winnow down what I call My Impossibly Long Reading List!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Yay, Reenie! I hope you like it too.

I read Joel Grey's memoir, Master of Ceremonies and though it was interesting in spots, it was a little on the un-thrilling side. For someone who has been in show business for over 60 years, I found it odd that what he had to share all fit into a measly 241 pages. Anyway, only the most hard-core of JG fans will enjoy this memoir.

I did learn something new, though (and I feel horribly embarrassed to admit it): in describing his most famous role, the Master of Ceremonies in "Cabaret", Grey explained that the word "Emcee" is the abbreviation for Master of Ceremonies, i.e., "Em" for M + "cee" for C = "Emcee". I honestly never knew that - I felt like wearing a dunce cap for that bit of ignorance.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I didn't realize that either, Ricky.

I'm now ready if Mamie asks us that little nugget in Trivial Pursuit.

Wait.. now I'm thinking that she did and I forgot. I truly worry about my brain sometimes.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Finished South Of Broad by Pat Conroy last night. I love the way he writes but the story was a bit too grotesque for me at times. It brought Thomas Harris to mind...lol.

Reading The Measure Of A Man (A Spiritual Autobiography) by Sidney Poitier. I'm really enjoying it, as he is one of my very favourite actors.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, April 01, 2016 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I don't think I have yet. I will have to keep that on the back burner.

Just finished Far From True, the second book in the Linwood Barclay trilogy. I enjoyed it, not as much as the first, but I think that was because there were so many characters in it that I would have to sit and think "who was that again".

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Alice I Have Been" by Melanie Benjamin. It's about Alice Liddell, who Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was based on. I never knew they were based on anyone. It's an interesting story, fiction, but based on real history. Peter Pan was also based on a real child. The things you learn.

Oh, and the book has a blurb by Diana Gabaldon who wrote the Outlander series of books. She wrote "This is magic!" One of the main reasons I picked it up.

Ladyb

12-29-2007

Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladyb a private message Print Post    
Anyone read any of the Miss Fisher Murder mysteries by Kerry Greenwood? I just saw the Australian TV episode and wondered if the books were as good - or better.}

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 7:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, I finished the book about Elon Musk and wow.. what an interesting man.. and how amazing are his companies. He was a co founder of PayPal and made is initial fortune when that was sold. Now has Space X, Tesla and Solar City (with his cousins). Amazing..

Starting a memoir, by Emmett James, Admit one: My Life in Film.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I remember hearing Elon Musk's name on one of the morning show's recently, maybe today. One side of his family had European roots but came way back to US and Canada, but then I think his grandfather pulled up stakes and went to South Africa. His mother was born there. They all came back to north America eventually. Unusual upbringing.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is because they started taking orders for the $35,000 new model of the Tesla, to be delivered in 2017 (or perhaps later).. last I heard there were 200,000 orders.

Some people are rushing to get in on the available $7500 tax credits, which will run out at some point when a certain number of these electric vehicles are sold. The Teslas out there now are the roadster and the S30s which cost more like $80,000. There are more and more on the road and they got the credit plus they can use the charging stations set up by Elon Musk for free.

They are pretty amazing cars.. his chargers allow a really reapid recharging which is far superior to that of the Nissan Leaf (or was.. I'm not sure).

I have a friend with one but only due to a bonus her husband got and the credit, so it isn't costing any more than her old Lexus, so I've seen it in person. .

This book was fascinating for me to read.. all the concepts.

Oh and also this week you may have seen where he and his second wife, Tallulah, are divorcing for the second time. So he's hit the news this week for sure.

Space X is producing rockets at vastly less expense than any gobernment and may be what brings back our space program. His plan is to make it possible for Mars to be a backup for Earth if things continue to go downhill here. They are already launcing satellites.

LOL.. you can tell I'm fascinated. He has been compared to Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, April 04, 2016 - 6:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That must be a very interesting book. He is a fascinating person. Very innovative.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, April 04, 2016 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Ladyb, I have not read that series.

I just finished Broken Promise and enjoyed it! Jumping right into the second book in the trilogy! Thanks Uncle Ricky for mentioning it.

Think I might read the Elon Musk book soon too!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 04, 2016 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Oh, my goodness, we're on the Linwood Barclay bandwagon, err, BOOK-wagon!

First Mamie, then Reenie (you're welcome!), and now me. Over the weekend I finished Far From True and because I have such a blind spot for Mr. Barclay, I loved it. However, I totally get Mamie's observation about the massive cast of characters. You really do need to concentrate extra strongly to keep track of everyone.

I read an interview where Barclay explained that he wrote all three books in a span of 15 months. I wish he'd just release it as one book! All this waiting around is a little bit on the annoying side. Aha! A negative comment about Mr. Can-do-no-wrong!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, April 04, 2016 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
A few years ago, I read a little gem titled The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. I just started Glory Over Everything: Beyond the Kitchen House. You don't need to read The Kitchen House to get into this one but if you haven't read it, I am highly recommending it. So far, so good on this new book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 04, 2016 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Sea - I'll be very interested in your review of Admit One. I've had it on my Kindle for literally years, but I've never put it at the top of my to-be-read list.

I'm almost done re-reading Outlander (it is still one of my all-time favorite books) and will immediately start in again on Dragonfly in Amber as the new season starts Saturday. I'm also reading a bunch of SAT, ACT WorkKeys, and Michigan MME testing materials and online tutorials this week to be sure I'm ready for the testing next week (new supervisor position). It is NOT exciting, and I do NOT recommend any of it! LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, I'm just at the beginning of the book and it is slow starting, but I'll let you know. I have hopes for it! I think I've had it downloaded for some time as well.

Ric.. that does seem frustrating if the books were written so close together then it must have been just to make more money that they were strung out. Probably not the fault of the author.

There ARE some authors.. where I wonder. Jennifer Weiner.. big splash with her first book and then others but then it seemed she would release something lesser and shorter but keep the higher prices.. or maybe I just outgrew her.. but I've been sort of disappointed and have stopped really considering her books.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am so excited because today I got an advance copy of a book that I have been so waiting for, The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin. It's the final book in his vampire trilogy and if you haven't read any of them, you really should. This one comes out in May but I may (like what I did there) have to read it and pre-set my review for closer to time.