TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 07, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 07, 2016 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
LOL - I probably wouldn't have read Allegiant except I had already read the first two. I put off reading it for quite awhile. Then I got into a fun discussion about the series with both the school librarian and my DD's English teacher. They both intensely disliked Allegiant and that made me curious enough to read it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think I bought Divergent way back but then saw the movie instead.. haven't heard such good stuff about the next movie.

This book about why authors write memoirs.. some I've never heard of but Pat Conroy made me misty, especially considering his current situation.

Ann LaMott, Sue Monk Kidd and others are pretty good.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, do you know what hospital landi is in?

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Kaiser Vallejo

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Loved, loved, loved Connelly's The Crossing. He and Barclay and Coben are really at the top of the mountain when it comes to crime and thriller writing. I loved how Connelly teamed Bosch up with Haller and at 384 pages, it was much too short!

My library copy of Leah Remini's Troublemaker - Surviving Hollywood and Scientology finally arrived and I cannot believe how good it is. Her writing style is so refreshing. Not a single drop of poop is unspilled, it seems. If she was born with the fear gene, she certainly got rid of it in time to write the book!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, February 29, 2016 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
"To See the Moon Again" by Jamie Langston Turner. Really pretty good.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 7:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I looked up The Crossing and it said Harry Bosch #20! So I guess I should read the previous nineteen first? Are they all good?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm really too biased to answer that one, Jimmer. However, I would be remiss in not assuring you that the quality of Connelly's writing and storytelling is nearly flawless. Bosch is the character that made him famous (and got him his own TV show -- "Bosch" -- on Amazon Prime).

The Bosch books are entertaining and can be enjoyed out of sequence. But you can really appreciate the evolution of the character if you start from the beginning.

Connelly's style is fairly fast-moving, i.e., they move along as quickly as Barclay's and Coben's do. The LAPD figures prominently in each story and Bosch not only has to nab the bad guys, he also has to battle his superiors who disapprove of his unique crime-solving methods. You thus find yourself rooting for him on two levels.

But to answer your question: Yes, they're all good. Extremely!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I totally agree with Ricky's post about Bosch!

Just finished "The Guest Room" by Chris Bohjalian. It's a very interesting look at the kidnapping of girls and turning them into unwitting "sex slaves".
I couldn't put it down! I enjoy his books.

Now on to "Hidden Bodies".

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Well it sounds like I've got another great series to start reading!

I'll start at the beginning. :-)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Another Connelly/Bosch fan here, and now I'm off to see if I have Crossings on my Kindle yet. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks Reenie! So jealous you get to read Hidden Bodies - my library copy is taking so long to arrive.

Jimmer, as Reenie and Teach have attested, you are in for a treat once you launch into your first Connelly experience.

And as mentioned a couple of weeks ago, it's always a thrill when a writer (especially when it's one of your favorites) acknowledges one of your tweets.

Here's the "like" that Michael Connelly (@Connellybooks) gave to my review of The Crossing:

Michael Connelly Likes Ric Munoz Tweet

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Very cool Uncle Ricky!

I was looking up the order of the Bosch series myself last week so let the fun begin!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I bet that made your day!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Very nice!!

I finished the book about memoirs and those writing them, why, how, etc. Ran into authors I know and met some I didn't know.

Reading a novel that takes place in Scotland.. Tuesday's Socks by Alison Ragsdale. Enjoying it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 7:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That is cool!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks everyone. Twitter is definitely good for something!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Indeed it is.

Tuesday's Socks was sweet. Turns out I already had a later book the same author wrote, The Father-Daughter Club, which I got for $0.99.

Not my next book but brought it down from the cloud.

I'm going to read Room next.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, March 03, 2016 - 11:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The Leah Remini book never lost steam for a single second. I was in hog heaven each time she put the spotlight on the awfulness of that Cruise person. Her candor reminded me of how Patti LuPone (in her own memoir) annihilated Glenn Close. But Remini takes it to a whole other level. The manipulation she endured by the Church of Scientology is just staggering. Her eyewitness account of the Cruise/Holmes wedding weekend? So fearless and no-holds-barred doesn't even begin to describe it.

Thanks to Rieann and Mamie for putting the book on my radar - I had no idea it existed until they mentioned/reviewed it here!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Finished "Hidden Bodies". It's an excellent followup to "You". Joe Goldberg, the protagonist, is such a twisted individual and the fact that you almost root for him shows what a good writer the author, Caroline Kepnes, is.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 05, 2016 - 11:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Pat Conroy died yesterday

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 12:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Room.. had to keep reading til it was done..

Now.. deciding between a couple of books..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I chose the other novel by Allison Ragsdale, The Father-Daughter Club, also set in Scotland, with travel in the Mediterranean. It kept me reading and I just finished.

Now starting Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape
by Jenna Miscavige Hill, Lisa Pulitzer.

I got this quite a while ago for $1.99, which is great considering that it now is priced at $12.99.

I keep thinking I have read this, but there is no more saying I did..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Just finished Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg. It was one of those novels that snuck up on me. It was so hyped up last year and I was waiting to be disappointed and at first, it was slow and I thought okay, here it goes. But it grew on me and wrapped me up slowly and completely.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, March 07, 2016 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I spent the weekend catching up on two books by Jonathan Ames, both of which I loved. The first was I Love You More Than You Know and the other was The Double Life is Twice as Good.

Both were compilations of the essays and stories he's written over the years for various newspapers and magazines. As I've mentioned in reviews of his other books, Ames is definitely an acquired taste. I loved his stuff instantly, but I can totally see other readers not being able to connect to his seriously twisted view of modern-day relationships.

The latter compilation contains the story "Bored to Death" which was eventually adapted as the HBO series of the same name. Now that I've read the story, I can finally see all the episodes of the show via on-demand. The main character is named Jonathan Ames and he's played by Jason Schwartzman (they look nothing alike!).

I read an interview with Ames where he revealed that up until the series premiered in 2009, he did not own a TV (due to the fact that he was too poor to buy one -- his self-proclaimed poverty is a recurring detail he reminds readers of in many of his personal essays). He tweeted that he wouldn't be able to see the show for this reason. HBO very nicely bought him a TV as a result.