TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 28, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 28, 2016 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Such a sad day in our literary world. :-(

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ms Lee was 89.

Pat Conroy, and I've read most of his books, promised his readers that he will finish a book he "owes" us. Promises to fight it. Hope he can.

I just saw now online that Umberto (The Name of the Rose) has died at 84 at his home in Milan, Italy .

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Never read any of their works (Eco, Conroy, Lee), but I have a deep respect for all the millions who have read/loved their books.

The conclusion of The Cleaner did not disappoint. I liked it enough to put Paul Cleave's other books on my TBR list.

Yesterday I finished Big Kiss - One Actor's Desperate Attempt to Claw His Way to the Top by Henry Alford. It's a collection of stories about his life, circa 2000, and the humor is expertly written - I enjoyed quite a few belly laughs.

I'm now immersed in the latest by Michael Connelly, The Crossing. It features Henry Bosch and his half-brother Mickey Haller, so it's a double-treat of both classic Connelly heroes. This one, so far, is like butter. Yummy!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Check that: it's Harry Bosch (not Henry). I had Henry on the noggin because of Henry Alford. Sorry about that.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Uncle_ricky, while I was in Florida, I read Hidden Bodies. Loved it, maybe not as much as You but the bodies keep piling up.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well of course Harper Lee wasn't exactly prolific!

She did spend considerable time teamed with Truman Capote during the research for In Cold Blood, and of course wrote To Kill a Mockingbird. As with Conroy you have to read with a southern accent in your head (well, I do).

I started and finished Alice Hoffman's novel, Illumination Night, well done, not my usual, but got a deal on it.

Then read a very short freebie Crazy Cat Ladies and why we do that which was actually kind of, well really frustrating.. I mean I've known of the overpopulation of cats for the last 50 years and have acted accordingly and these people, while I'm sure they were kind to their cats, still allowed them to have litters and some to go outside, despite serial losses of those cats to cars, etc. And the book wasn't really well written or illustrated at least in the kindle version.

Mercifully short and now forgotten.

Reading a memoir that is journal in style but better written. Author is a therapist and has what must be a huge garden which requires much attention.. I think she said at least an acre, and she hand waters and has a vast array of plantings. She seems to have help of a professional gardener for many hours. The journal was about the daily doings in the garden but then morphed more into being about her dog, Charlie.

But it is so much superior to the cat lady book! so I'm enjoying it Charlie, a love story by Barbara Lampert.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 5:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mamie! I'm insanely jealous (what else is new???). According to Amazon, the official on sale date for Hidden Bodies is tomorrow, Feb. 23! I'm #2 in line at the library, so my copy should be available within the next week or two. Glad you loved it!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I am positively shredded about Pat Conroy. I am praying he either is in the miniscule percentage that beats this, or has a painless as possible exit. He is one of my all-time favourite authors for a myriad of reasons... (in no particular order: great writing, candor, charm, overcoming child-abuse, creativity, and positivity, etc.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
From his website patconroy.com

quote:

You my beloved readers know by now that I am fighting a hard battle. There are many of you sharing your own cancer battle stories. I will try not to disappoint you. Great love and gratitude for standing with me.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
He's being treated at M.D. Anderson.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea, is it a prominent cancer hospital?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
For sure! Huge. Highly rated. It is in Houston.

And I assume he would have chosen based on his cancer too. They seem to have several clinical trials.

Pancreatic cancer is a tough diagnosis. There is more hope if surgery is possible and so far they aren't saying if he is able to have surgery.

But there are advances.

Definitely not good news.

And he is diabetic, has had liver problems from drinking (but quit due to that).. those can be factors, along with diet..

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks for 'splaining. I agree it's a brutal diagnosis.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Have finally started "You" and am engrossed! Everyone is crazy, but I can't put it down!

"The Guest Room" is next.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Reenie, they are so crazy and yet you root for Joe anyway! The sequel Hidden Bodies is good too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the journals about Charlie.. these people really love their dogs and even their cat, but she loves the dogs and are totally devoted to them.

And through to the end all I could think was.. wow, they water this huge garden incessantly! This was from journals in 2000-2006 or so and all I can wonder is what is happening now? They live in Malibu.

Really lovely pictures included.

Then I read a quick book John Grisham wrote about a medical technique he wants to support and the hope is it would be approved more quickly than it currently is.. Kind of choppy writing for him, I must say but it was short and he is insisting it be free. And I AM interested in following the growth of this technique which has promise for treating people in a less invasive way and holds out great promise for extending or saving lives.

The Tumor: A Non-Legal Thriller.

Now starting a book edited by Meredith Maran, Why We Write About Ourselves: Twenty Memoirists on Why They Expose Themselves (and others) in the Name of Literature

Quite a variety of authors.. looks to be interesting..

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Mamie..finished "You". Everyone IS crazy and I couldn't put it down! What does that say about me

Will be starting "The Guest Room" soon. Then "Hidden Bodies".

I just love the suggestions from everyone here in TVCH!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Reenie, I wrote my review with the opening lines "What the hell did I just read? And why did I like it so much?!"

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
And I read The Guest Room. Kept me riveted.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Mamie....Lol!!!! Your opening line is exactly how I feel!! Perfectly put!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I went to buy Room on sale, but some reviews.. it sounds like the narration style could be quite interesting.. or irritating.

But Ric persevered and liked it, and Mamie loved it....

But some books they love, not so much for me..

But this seems like one I might like....

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Got a sample.. and bought it..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 11:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just finished listening to "I am Number Four" and did NOT enjoy it nearly as much as other YA fiction. The premise wasn't bad, but the 15-year old narrator's voice was just a tad too teeny angst for me, and the love story -- ugh. Just like watching freshmen make out in the hallway at school!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've been reading more young adult fiction lately now that my DD's are in their teens, though they read a lot of adult fiction as well. I haven't read I Am Number Four. I did read The Fifth Wave which I thought was pretty good though I've heard the movie isn't great.

I also read all three of the Divergent series. Although they are best sellers and now a movie series, none of them were that great but the last one, Allegiant, wasn't very good at all. I have to admire the author though. She wrote Divergent in her final year of University. She was studying creative writing. There's someone who has put their arts degree to good use.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read Divergent and then stopped. I didn't really like it.

I just finished Passenger by Lisa Lutz. A very good story filled with lots of twists and turns.

I am going light and reading Debbie Macomber's A Girl's Guide to Moving On.