TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 20, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 20, 2016 users admin

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I'd like to read Aziz's book, also. I love Master of None. He is a really good actor - my favorite was the Old People episode. He was just so sweet to "grandma".

I'm reading Kay Hooper's, "Haunted". It's a murder/horror mystery. It's okay, but doesn't grab me the way most horror stories will.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
So glad you liked The Goldfinch, Eggie. I'm pretty sure you'll give a similar review to Room. I haven't seen the film version yet, but it's supposed to be excellent. Brie Larson has a good chance of winning the Best Actress Oscar for it. And the O.J. book, though 444 pages, feels like a 244-page book because its flows so quickly. The early reviews of the FX series have been extremely positive.

Mamie and Scout, you MUST read Aziz's book -- it's too delicious to miss. And that "Master of None" was my favorite comedy of 2015. There are a couple of episodes when Aziz gives his friend Arnold (who is twice Aziz's size) a big hug. The sight of the two close friends hugging was so heartwarming - when you see it, you'll recognize it immediately. Very, very sweet (just like the "Old People" episode)!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I haven't watched them all yet but I loved the episode when they took out their parents. (Who were their real parents) Besides being funny, it was very touching.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Oh and I loved Room. It's definitely one you cannot put down.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I have started a book that was just released titled "Be Frank With Me" by Julia Claiborne Johnson. I am really enjoying it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 01, 2016 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Sea is Wide.. not too far into it but this grandson is so wise.

He moved in with his grandmother and grandfather and a cousin when the grandma wasn't able to deal with the grandfather's Alzheimer's well, especially overnight. She had heart problems so had her own issues.

Anyway the grandson, with no real training really seemed to see things clearly. He observed how some people seemed to blame grandpa for things that were not his fault. Grandma tended to scold him, which the grandson could see was not helping.

He noticed at dinner that grandpa could still engage in conversation but at a slower pace but that no one else would slow down.. so topics would jump around where grandpa couldn't follow. The younger man was able to see all this and adapt, which I really like.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished the O.J. Simpson book last night. I only wish it had been twice as long. Toobin's writing style is very, very comfortable. (He's also part of the FX series, in episode 3, and he's played by Chris Conner.) I'll definitely read Toobin's other books.

I'm now enjoying Judd Apatow's Sick in the Head - Conversations about Life and Comedy. He interviews a whole slew of comedy giants, past and present. Apatow is an enthusiastic interviewer and the conversational structure makes for very pleasant reading.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I'm pretty sure I read Toobin's book but need to see if I have it in paper or on kindle.

I did read Robert Kardashian's book which was quite eye-opening..

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
I'm very much enjoying "The girl with all the gifts" by M.R.Carey

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I have Apatow's book. Good to know you are enjoying it.

I read Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain and learned about the Eugenics project that was instituted in the poor South. Heartbreaking. The book wasn't entirely about it, it was about a young social worker and the girl she is taken by (who they want to sterilize).

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, February 04, 2016 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
For the first 100 pages of Tryptych by Karin Slaughter, I wasn't sure I was going to like it but then I became hooked and couldn't wait to finish it. Even though you more or less know who did what in the story, you're never sure the right person will actually be caught for it. This is the first book of her Will Trent series who is an agent for the GBI in Atlanta. I also read a short novella with the same character called Snatched and enjoyed that as well. I will definitely continue with this series.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finally finished the Judd Apatow book of interviews. It was consistently excellent. The interview with Roseanne Barr by itself was worth the price of admission - really, really interesting. Apatow himself has a pretty quirky personality and he doesn't hesitate to the remind the reader of his psychological hang-ups. It was refreshing to see him discuss them so candidly.

I'm now reading The Cleaner by Paul Cleave, a writer I'm trying out for the first time. It's a thriller - haven't read one of those in a while. He's written several well-received thrillers and this is the first one of the batch.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Tell No One and all I can say is wow what a great story! Thank you so much for recommending it.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the one you're reading now. I'm rather fond of thrillers.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the book by the grandson.. he really did so much for the family and grandpa was able to stay home til the end. Grandson must have been sleep deprived long after.

Started the book O J Simpson wrote with a ghost wrister and attempted to get the money past the Goldmans by setting up a sham corporation that was supposed to benefit his kids.. but then he took the money and paid off some of his own stuff but not what he owes the Goldmans and Browns.

Anyway the book, If I Did It, was given over in court to the Goldmans who wrote a foreword and the proceeds will go.. to the domestic violence arena prevention and support.

The foreward was all about the process of getting the book and then there was some about how the co author interviews O J.. and made him sign off on every word, though of course he later tried to deny that.

And then his words.. wow.. what attitude. Totally bashing everyone but himself so far.

Oh and on the cover it just says "I Did It".

And by the way.. O J is up for parole next year, sigh..

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Just finished Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter. It's the first in a series called The Grant County Thrillers. I like the way the author sets up her characters so that in spite of the violence going on at times, you know the good outweighs the bad in the overall scheme of things. Both of her books that I've read now in the past few months have kept me wanting to read throughout the day and find out the ending. This one reminded me a bit of the show Criminal Minds in that some might be put off by the nature of the crimes so be forewarned.

Up next is My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman who also wrote A Man Called Ove. Hopefully it will be a nice change from brutal murders.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, February 15, 2016 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Been picking up bargain books at Dollar General. Don't remember the author's name (and can't find the book) but I read Dead Asleep, set on a tropical island. It was okay. Read "Dead Man's Song" by Jonathan Maberry. Mostly because it was touted as reminiscent of Stephen King. Maybe a little.

Just finished "I Still Dream About You" by Fannie Flagg. Enjoyed it. 2nd book I've read by her. 1st was "Fried Green Tomatoes". May look up some more by her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Still reading (if) I did it.. and up until he describes the actual murders, it is just basically trashing Nicole and her friends but then he supposedly goes into the hypothetical with tons of details and that is kind of chilling. I guess since he wqas aquitted and couldn't be tried again for the murders he saw a way to make money and thought he had it well hidden.. and did spend the advance money.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Finished Tell No One. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I added Blindsighted to my "to be read" list.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm 30 pages into My Grandmother Told Me . . . and I'm going to send it back. I'm forcing myself through each page and that never happened with A Man Called Ove.

I'm next in line at the library for Tell No One so I might start something else until that's ready.

I still Dream About You is on my nook so that will probaly be the one. Thanks for the reminder about Ms. Flagg, Heckagirl!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Happy, what was it about the book that is causing you to send it back unfinished.. just more info to help me decide to read it someday, or not..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Jimmer! I'm so pleased you liked Tell No One as much as you did. It was the very first of Coben's I ever read - such a good one! His brand new one comes out later this year (Fool Me Once).

I'm just about finished with The Cleaner (less than 100 pages to go) and it has been quite the experience. It's fairly disturbing in sections -- the central character is a violent serial killer in Christchurch, New Zealand and he is prone to politically incorrect language -- but the main story has been arresting. It's an excellent debut by the writer, Paul Cleave, but the excesses of a first-time writer are apparent in spots. Overall it's been a rollicking read.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Sea ~ The book got great reviews so obviously it's just me not responding to it well. My usual rule is to give a book 100 pages but at this point, I'd rather move on to a book that makes me want to sit down and finish it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Stellar reviews doesn't always mean I will love a book. I am sure you aren't alone and the good news is all the other books out there.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, February 19, 2016 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I really enjoyed My Grandmother Told Me To Say She Was Sorry. My sister enjoyed it as well. It took me awhile to get into A Man Called Over but I ended up liking it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Harper Lee has died, and Pat Conroy announced that he has pancreatic cancer..