TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 30, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 30, 2015 users admin

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I have got to read You. I've had it on my Kindle for too long. Two of my favorite people raving about it... it must be good! And I enjoy a twisted thriller. I'll read your review after, Mamie. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 25, 2015 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Dr. Feelgood: The Shocking Story of the Doctor Who May Have Changed History by Treating and Drugging JFK, Marilyn, Elvis and other Prominent Figures

Whoa..

Apparently family blamed the meth for Jackie's lymphoma that ended up killing her.

So many people were treated by this guy who was himself hooked on his own meth concoctions.

Now reading Giant Journeys: Becoming an Ironman by Douglas W. Thomson. He had run three marathons in his life before he decided to challenge himself by training to do an iron man triathalon.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 4:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Sea, I went and picked up, Dr. Feelgood. Sounds interesting. I didn't know JFK and Jackie were involved with him.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Chris Bohjalian's new book The Guest Room. A bachelor party gone wrong with dead bodyguards, Russian sex slaves and the aftermath. Very engrossing.

I am also finally reading Gilead which I have had on my TBR shelves forever.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarity. I am a fan of hers, but not this book. First of all it was way too long at 460 pages. The story was good (domestic violence) but it all seems so drawn out that after a while I struggled to finish.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 7:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Riemann, you will be shocked. I did know about the "vitamin" shots and of course in time it came out that JFK suffered from Addison's and from horrible back pain, but I didn't realize about the meth, or how many politicians and celebs were treated by this man..

I finished Becoming an Ironman, which was mixed but had some good points about how to accomplish a major goal and not be overwhelmed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mamie, I have enjoyed several of Bohjalian's books over the years..

Gilead I read... hmm... mixed feelings but it was quite some time ago.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, December 26, 2015 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OK refreshed my memory.. it was quite well done.. and I remember liking Housekeeping very much, before seeing the movie, which starred Christine Lahti, as I recall.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read an interesting book with many aerial photos taken over Israel, coupled with historical narrative AnNe's Testament excerpts.. places in the life of Jesus. Sight from Above: Amazing Photos Book: The Holy Land: Discover the Great Sites of History.

Interesting, for sure.

Now starting Talking to Skeletons: Behind the Scenes with a Radiologist.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
I received a hardcopy of "The Book Thief" for Christmas. I hadn't read it yet and started it yesterday. I cannot put it down and I'm pretty sure I'll finish it late tonight.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, December 27, 2015 - 10:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That is good one...

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Reenie - I felt the same way about Big Little Lies. I felt like it got "preachy" at the end rather than telling the story and letting the message speak for itself.

I finished Ways to Die in Glasgow (enjoyed it as a light read) and am now reading Primal Origins. It's a special ops kind of book with a lot of guns and violence - not sure I'll read the second book of the series, although it isn't badly written.

I'm STILL listening to Gulliver's Travels. It is The Longest 16-hour book EVER! LOL I intersperse it with my continual Gabaldon listening (on A Breath of Snow and Ashes at the moment), but I can listen to Gabaldon for 3-4 hours no problem, whereas after 1 hour of Gulliver, I am at my limit.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I put Bohjalian's The Guest Room on my TBR list. I haven't read him since Midwives. Oops! lol

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 9:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Egbok - that is one beautiful book isn't it? The movie was good too!

I am also putting the new Bohjalian book on my list.

After reading the reviews here for 'You' that might be my next read.

Teach - yes yes yes, I think you hit the nail on the head, Moriarity didn't let the story speak for itself.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed The Guest Room. Kept me reading. It comes out next week. Hope you enjoy it.

I am starting Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway. One I have had forever. Started it last night and liking it so far.

I am also going to start Wreckage by Emily Bleeker. It's about a couple who are found after being stranded on an island for two years and somehow there stories are not adding up.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Reenie, you said it perfectly. The Book Thief is a beautiful book and I soaked it up. I now want to watch the movie.

I also want to add that I always come here to read everyone's post to learn what you all are reading presently. This is a great thread!! I'm so behind in my reading and look forward to diving back into books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Eggie, the movie is very good..

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Cat and Mouse" by James Patterson. It's an Alex Cross book. I was not prepared for the graphicness of it. It was good.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Primal Origins and am on to Primal Unleashed; both are short, quick reads so a fun vacation style. I'm also starting Darkly Dreaming Dexter at my students' behest. We had read a selection from an essay titled "The Knife" (written by a surgeon), and more than half of them thought it was from Dexter. After they described the show, one of my readers suggested I'd love the books, and since I don't have time to binge watch ALL the seasons, the books were a no-brainer. Do my kiddos know me or what? :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I did read at least one of the Dexter books, maybe two and loved the show until I got turned off by the plot, but that was a number of seasons into it.

I finished the short book, Talking to Skeletons, which was interesting and I gather an offshoot of a longer book.. not part of the book but the author, who was the daughter of a doctor I think in a rural setting.. Carolyn Jourdan.. she wrote a longer book that I don't have but over a period of years she would go in and sit for hours with a radiologist and followed what he did as part of her research. I discovered I have another of her books already, which is a memoir, the first of several, Heart in the Right Place, so I downloaded it from the cloud and that will be my next read. It is dubbed as "heartwarming" (two of many who loved the book were Dolly Parton and Fannie Flagg, so there ya go), so it won't be Dexter ;) (and I liked Dexter), but sounds good for the time of year and all.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Also billed in one review as "All Creatures Great and Small of the Aplalachians, except most of the creatures are human".

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I really liked Heart in the Right Place.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am sure I will, too.. good to know you liked it. And the good news was I got it on sale back when I bought it.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Well, I was going to start "You", but after reading Sea's description of "Heart in the Right Place", I am starting on that. I could use a book like that right now and I love Fannie Flagg!

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Reenie - i just started on Seamonkey's recommendation, "Heart in the Right Place" also.
Fannie Flagg is one of my favorite authors, so if she likes it i'm sure I will, too.