TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 22, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 22, 2015 users admin

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 1:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I just read Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini.

I've not been a huge fan of hers, but I think I've become one. I found her refreshing. Bravo to her for speaking out against Scientology.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
:-) I haven't read many books I actually disliked, and normally I just stop reading when I enounter one. Since this was for our library club, I couldn't do that.

I will say, for the record, the 2 or 3 Harlequin romance books I read in college were even worse than cozy mysteries, but other than that - nope, all authors have been better!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Room by Emma Donoghue. It was good. Different. Fiction based on true-life crime. Remember the women who were concealed sex slaves, or maybe it was one. In the book, the criminal had the victim in a shed in his backyard for many years. It was told from the point of view of the 5 year old baby who was born out of the situation.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sounds interesting, Hecka, and I definitely want to read Leah's book.. looking for a price drop but will read it. I've read a LOT about Scientology but she's a recent defector and a very brave one. Those people are vindictive and scary.

Jimmer, so far American Wife is well written.. she used the same co-writer that Chris used when he wrote American Sniper.

She is being real about some of their problems, but there is a lot about their love too.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hecka - I read Room when it first came out, and I remember how much I liked it. It's well written, and because of the young narrator, the "normal" is even more horrifying to the reader because it is NOT horrifying to the child. Haven't decided if I'll see the movie or not, but given the fact that we've only seen 3 movies this year, it probably won't happen until it's available on Amazon Prime ..... free. :-)

When I got to the end of Allegiant, I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. The ending was hugely foreshadowed (although I missed it at the time). I DID say to my DH that it was a bit jarring to hear a man's voice reading, and I laughed that each chapter was labeled with the character's name, when it was DUH OBVIOUS when it was Triss vs. when it was Tobias because of a female vs. male voice.

I'm starting a new mystery today because the author is from Michigan and thus fulfills another category on my library challenge. A friend told me about the author a couple of years ago, so I have hope that it will be significantly more enjoyable than the cozy mystery.}

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OK, about halfway into American Wife, she starts dealing with his death and the aftermath, still well written, insiteful, etc but gutwrenching, so in that way it fits in with some of my reads that might not be understood as to why.

I've been so distracted by life and needing more sleep and uh silly online games so my DVR is getting scary full even though I try nightly to keep up to some extent and my reading.. suffers.

This weekend is no better with stuff going on both days.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Mamie316, I read The Nighingale a few months ago and loved it. This book surprised me because I never expected this type of story from Kristin Hannah, as I also thought she was more of a romance writer. I think I will read more of her books and see if I am lucky enough to find another gem.

Happygal

11-15-2004

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happygal a private message Print Post    
Mamie316 and Rvon, I just read The Nightingale while in on vacation in Paris. It was a surprising good read. Also just before I left for France I read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr and A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead. All 3 books are about the French Resistance during WWII (just written from different perspectives).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 2:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am also reading Leah Remini's book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Taya Kyle's book.. had no idea of some things she had to endure beyond dealing with her husband's death, including the betrayal by his so called friends and business partners.

On to a reportedly funny memoir by a doctor, In Stitches by Anthony Youn, MD

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, November 09, 2015 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I spent all last week playing tourist in Washington DC and that (sadly) cut into my reading time.

I read Lost, the follow-up to Michael Robotham's Suspect and though it was a tad long, it was overall excellent. I'm really looking forward to reading the other books that feature the London crime-fighting team of Joe O'Loughlin and Victor Ruiz.

I also read I Pass Like Night by Jonathan Ames. This was Ames's debut (1989), so it was not as engaging (or funny) as the two novels he wrote later.

Mr. Ames also wrote several books comprised of his essays over the years. This morning I began reading the earliest of these, What's Not to Love? The Adventures of a Mildly Perverted Young Writer - he is a very, very interesting man and his twisted sense of humor is not a crowd-pleaser. He consistently makes me laugh, though, so I'm definitely a fan.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Leah Remini's book was a great read. Loved it. Couldn't put it down.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I recently read The Residence by Kate Andersen Brower. She interviewed former first family members and past White House residence workers. It was interesting, heartwarming, sad, funny, disgusting and sometimes surprising. I liked it a lot.

Now I'm reading Dewey, the Library Cat. It's a cute story. I find it hard to imagine what is in the other books in the series. It isn't that big a story, unless it picks up soon. I can only read so many pages of every rubber band the kitty ate and pooped out. lol! I love cats, but enough is enough.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished Mary-Louise Parker's Dear Mr. You. It was written as letters to different men in her life. Not all were lovers, there were some to men that were very touching but they really were people on the periphery who touched her life in some way. Very interesting read.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished listening to a re-read of The Fiery Cross (Gabaldon). It had been quite a few years, so I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm also reading Ice Run by Steve Hamilton. It's a mystery, but it's not grabbing me yet. I think I have become spoiled by Nelson DeMille and Phil Rickman. I'm now listening to a new-to-me book by the latter, The Man in the Moss.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 15, 2015 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
In Stitches was good, not great, but I enjoyed it.

Starting a book by an ex polygamist that gives some history.

Fifty Years in Polygamy: Big Secrets and Little White Lies by Krysten Decker, daughter of a polygamist prophet. Long book...

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, November 16, 2015 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished A Marriage of Opposites by Alice Hoffman. I'm usually enthralled with her books when I read them but no so much this time. I did enjoy learning a bit about the early 1800's on St. Thomas island and how Camille Pissarro grew up there. As a lover of impressionism, it made me go back and take another look at his work and I can see the influences there.

Dovez

08-27-2005

Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dovez a private message Print Post    
Here are the winners of the national book awards.
I thought you would all enjoy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/national-book-awards-2015_564cf0a7e4b031745cefa13d

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dovez!

Going to start the Leah Remini book soon.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm on an autobiography kick lately and am reading Wildflower by Drew Barrymore. Not necessarily a standard autobiography but the chapters are all stories of her life, not really in any order.

I am also reading The Half Brother by Holly LeCraw.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished The Killing Song by P.J. Parrish. It was good. A mystery. Kind of typical, but still good.

Thinking about buying Stephen King's new book.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, November 20, 2015 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished listening to The Rogue Lawyer - not one of Grisham's better ones.

Now I'm listening to Phil Rickman's The Man in the Moss - only a few chapters in, but I'm already loving the complications.}

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 20, 2015 - 11:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This polygamy book does illustrate the mindset that is forced upon women in polygamy but the book is too long. I still want to finish, just to see her break free. Such mind games..

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm halfway through Innocenceby Dean Koontz. I really like his writing, and this is no exception.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am feeling like this book will never end... almost done.