TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through October 20, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through October 20, 2015 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, October 08, 2015 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I have to read a trilogy for our library yearly challenge, so I just finished Divergent, 1st book. I've heard they get worse as they go along, but they ARE quick reads, even on audio. I'm listening to Drums of Autumn, Lock and Key (a free Audible book w/full cast), and Gulliver's Travels. In dead tree books, I'm finishing up The Main Corpse and starting Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (both for library book club).

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, October 09, 2015 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I have read the Divergent series. They were good.

Finished The Martian by Andy Weir. I could see the ending in my mind. Quite good, but a lot of technical stuff. Liked the human side of it better. Not sure what's next.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, October 09, 2015 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I haven't got very far into The Martian yet but so far it's remarkably like a biology or chemistry text book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 09, 2015 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It does get better.. or, you get used to it?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh I'm enjoying it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-)

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I just finished Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay. Its a good murder mystery written in a this could happen down the street kind of feel. Very quick paced. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23398840-broken-promise

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, October 12, 2015 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just started Frozen Fire by Bill Evans and Marianna Jameson. Interesting so far. Bill Evans is an Emmy-award winning meteoroligist for WABC , channel 7 in New York City.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 12, 2015 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the Craig Lancaster book.. started slowly and got better.. it is kind of odd that I like his books, but I do. But his Edward books are by far the best of his.

Next.. I'll decide tonight..

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished The English Spy by Daniel Silva and enjoyed it. I'm off to check out his other books now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 3:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Starting Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom, by Ken Algunas.

He was in debt from his first year of college and decided to live in his van, also traveled to Alaska.

Memoir.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Cable, I'm glad you liked Broken Promise -- one can never go wrong with Mr. Barclay!

I finished Purity last night, finally. It's long, but worth the effort. It meanders along with slightly confusing storylines, but it all makes sense by the time you get to the end. One of the characters, Anabel Aberant, was extremely entertaining and caused me to love the book. Be forewarned - it feels longer than its 564 pages - you really feel the weight of the story (literally & figuratively). Family dramas are always a treat and this one is better than most.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
The last three books I read were a bust for me. Just didn't do it for me at all.

I am reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah and am absolutely loving it so far. I've had it for a while and then I saw that Alice Hoffman raved about it and loved it so I finally cracked it open.

I also started Little Girl Gone by Alexandra Burt. Also enjoying it. There's a missing baby, a mother with amnesia (and a shot off ear) and suspicion, suspicion, suspicion!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm on page 20 of Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore and already loving it!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Waiting for tablet to charge up so I can finish The Martian. Charge quickly please!

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
As I am usually the optimist among my friends, I loved The Martian as a reminder that the good people do outweigh the challenging ones. And, when there is a need, such as when a child goes missing, people will step up to help. And I finally understand why, after 9/11, we were told to buy duct tape. Fun read!

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Friday, October 16, 2015 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I love mysteries and thrillers and have just finished a really good edge of your seat one--Those Girls by Chevy Stevens. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014603-those-girls

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I'm reading "The Pecan Man" by Cassie Dandridge Selleck. Thoroughly enjoying it!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just finished listening to Drums of Autumn (again), so I've moved on to The Fiery Cross. I also have Insurgent on audio from library as I try to finish that trilogy up. Did a quick read of Jekyll & Hyde for our library book club meeting next week.}

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Walden on Wheels.. interesting guy.. he had student loans to pay off and it freaked him out thinking how automatic the process was and how it seemed to room him to a job he hated and how so n any just took on more and more things, payments and so on.. he pledged to become debt free, even with his liberal arts bachelor's.

He started out with menial jobs but in Alaska in a remote area near the North Pole, where life was basic, but room and board was included. He spent almost nothing and chipped away at the debt.

He did have adventures and other gigs, like a recreation of early Canadians, where they had to use only tools, dress and amenities of an earlier time, birchbark canoes, no electronics, no light tents, packs, GPS, etc.

Another gig was in Louisiana.

He had no vehicle, so he hitchhiked.

In Alaska, he got better jobs with more experience

When he paid off his debt, he chose to go to grad school at Duke, and to stay debt free, he decided to secretly live in a van.

Along the way he describes the path of a friend, who had a larger debt, and that journey.

It was different and interesting.

Next I started and finished Schooled: How the System Breaks Teachers by Dalton Jackson.

He lasted two years in a small deep south high school. He has written it as fiction because he is protecting identities of students, other teachers, even the school and location.

Good, but sad, and it seemed that he had the capacity to teach and care. When he left, he has been working many extra hours, attempting to fairly follow rules and have expectations of his students, only to be undercut by parents, administration and teachers who had given up, stopped enforcing rules and pretty much become babysitters. And there were so many threats..

So he went back to school and worked in a lab for the same money and fewer hours.

His first degree was in science and he taught bio and chemistry I think..

He was quite young.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading The Martian. We saw the movie last week, and I'm enjoying comparing the two.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Finished Little Girl Lost by Alexandra Burt. Yet another book touted as another Gone Girl. That doesn't really do it justice because it is good on it's own. Very good suspenseful story.

I started In a Dark Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. I've heard lots of good things about it. I am still reading The Nightingale as well.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 5:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Just finished on "In the Blood" by Lisa Unger. I couldn't put it down, a real psychological thriller!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I started and finished a novel, Taking Flight, by Adrian R. Magnuson.

Mixed feelings. It was a reach logically, but had characters with real personality (and others a bit two dimensional) and you really rooted for the main characters.

This book could make a super charming movie with the right actors.

Kind of a road trip with an older man with Alzheimer's and a 13 year old boy, smart assed but really let down by both parents, wealthy but distant, mom is bipolar. Another theme is bird watching.

I'd go to a movie made from this book.