TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 30, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 30, 2015 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished Mr. Penumbra and thought it was outstanding. I look forward to the author's next book.

I'm now into Wake Up, Sir! by Jonathan Ames. So far it's proving to be the laugh riot I expected it to be. I think the most gifted writers are those who can make you laugh until your tummy hurts. It never ceases to amaze me how they do that!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I Can See Clearly Now Dr. Wayne Dyer

It is only $1.95 from Amazon.

I think this is the last book he has written.

I sat outside in the pitch dark and read it on my Kindle. I didn't realize I could do that!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kindles are cool that way!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Yes. I have had it for 6 months and never thought to go out side in the dark and read.!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Uncle_Ricky, I will have to check that one out. I love a good book that really makes me laugh out loud. That's what I love about David Sedaris. I still laugh in my head with his Christmas story.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Just finished listening to Voyager (for the umpteenth time) and moved on to Drums of Autumn. I'm listening to Gulliver's Travels as well, but I can only do that in short bursts. I've hit the jackpot for Kindle deals this week - a Noah Gordan AND a Henning Mankell Wallander book for $2 each. Started the Wallander book, but have precious little time for reading until the end of October.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, September 18, 2015 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Ames is really excellent, Mamie - like Sedaris, he's not your mainstream type of humor but not TOO way out there.

Thanks again for turning me on to Taylor Jenkins Reid - love her!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 9:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am so glad that you do :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Over the weekend I finished Wake Up, Sir! and was thoroughly stunned by how hysterically funny it was -- much, much funnier than The Extra Man. I read most of the book on my flight from Boston back to L.A. on Saturday and I'm sure I annoyed (greatly) my neighboring seat mates with my robust guffawing during most of the six hours of the flight. Ames is simply a comedic treasure!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 21, 2015 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the book about Eleanor Roosevelt which was really interesting.. the last several years she actually shared a home in NYC with her doctor and his wife and their child.. big home.. she had two floors and they had two plus there was an office that originally David was going to use for his practice but decided on a nearby office for himself, so the office was rented to the doctor who was renting it when they bought. They had an elevator put in and it was great in terms of him monitoring her health and they usually had dinner together as well.

For years David travelled with her on some of her trips and that is fascinating as well.

Now I'm starting An Invisible Thread before I lose it again in the huge virtual TBR stack I have..

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OMG After finishing reading a bio of Jane Fonda, I started reading The Martian last night around 10 pm. I finally got to sleep at 5 this morning, once I finished it. Been a LOOOOOOOOONG time since book grabbed me that much. Should be a terrific film. (I admit to skimming a lot of the technical math stuff. My poor brain just can't deal with that stuff. LOL) Thanks for the recommendation folks. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't think we had to follow it all.. I did to some extent, but the character was believable and I had faith that HE was right about the technical stuff.

Glad you liked it.

It does grab you, huh?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yup. Will be first in line for the film. Dragging DH who will love it. Lol

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I had to stop myself from looking ahead to see if he got off of Mars!

I just finished Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. It was one of those books that all the critics adored but it was so pretentious. One of those books that you read and wonder if you are an idiot because you are not getting it or the love of it.

I started The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood and The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry last night.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 24, 2015 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished An Invisible Thread.. the topic was important and what happened was interesting, yet the writing was a bit odd.. or the author but it was well worth reading for sure. Just got frustrated with her at times.

Starting a book by a woman billed as the longest living paraplegic (or maybe quad?).. not too far into it yet. Another memoir.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Lani Deauville was a quadriplegic and she lived into her 70s. Died in 2012. The book was as told to Bette Lee Crosby. This woman had an erratic childhood to say the least but accomplished so much. Very interesting.

An Inspiring Tale of Courage and Overcoming Adversity: Life in the Land of IS, The Amazing Story of Lani Deauville, the Worl's Longest-Living Quadriplegic.

Next I'm going to read Alice Hoffman's Survival Lessons which is I think a memoir, or non fiction and is shorter than I realized when I bought it, but it was on sale anyway.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Alice Hoffman was interesting, not what I expected, short and I enjoyed it. It was short pieces she wrote about things to do when you have cancer but not ABOUT her cancer so much. Just wise ideas of things to get over, things to take care of, etc., when you are facing possible death.

Next up is an actual novel, The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I'm now reading The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure. So far, so good.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just starting The Martian by Andy Weir. Seeing the trailers for the movie advertised, I wish I had read it sooner. Seems I'm getting spoiled already, and I don't want to be.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I've begun The English Spy by Daniel Silva. Almost halfway through and really enjoying it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The bookstore in the book The Bookstore is the redeeming part of the plot. The main character, Esme, is mostly cringeworthy and frustrating.
Now reading the memoir by the father of three sons, one who died of cancer. Well written so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There is a Reaper: Losing a Child to Cancer, by Michael Lynes.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It took a while, but I managed to complete Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. It was frustrating at first because it wasn't easy to figure out how he was structuring the narrative, but once I got the hang of it, the story grew increasingly interesting. It's one of those surrealistic tales involving parallel universes. He inserts a lot of pop culture references so that helped keep me engaged.

I'm now devouring Purity, the latest magnum opus from Jonathan Franzen. He hasn't let me down yet and though I've only read the first 50 pages, I'm enthralled, as per usual.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky, I imagine you reading away and purring.. or the equivalent of purring!

Very nice image.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Anne Tyler fans should enjoy A Spool of Blue Thread. I think it's my favorite of her entire body of work.

Now reading And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. With each of his three novels, I've been surprised at how captivated I became in reading about Afghanistan. He's that good.

Thank you again and again to all who recommended A Man Called Ove. What a joy!