TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 17, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 17, 2015 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Peeking in to say y'all have got me interested in this Martian book. Who is the author? It's on my must read list now. (As long as its not horror or suspense, I'll be fine, as I like Sci-fi.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Andy Weir

LINK

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
Hi everyone! I think you all will be my new best friends. I am an avid reader. I don't watch much TV, right now I only watch BB and Zoo. (I think Zoo ends this week?)

Anyway, books currently reading is none. I did read Zoo last weekend and it was good. Not the best book I have read, but not the worst. Just your typical Patterson book, I would have loved to read it if Michael Crichton would have written it.

After I finished Zoo, I finally read Death at SeaWorld. I have been meaning to read it since it was released, but it was "too soon" for me after Dawn's death. It was a very good read and I really enjoyed it, except the topic is just so near and dear to my heart and soul, that I teared up on many occasions.

I do wish that SeaWorld would have been open to interviews for the book, as I do believe the author would have been fair.

After reading Death at SeaWorld and BB coming to a close, it's lit a fire under me to get back to my activist ways that I tend to put on the back burner during BB. (my bad)

Has anyone else read the Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child books? I LOVE those! We have the whole series of Agent Pendergast. He's quite a character. I do like Lincoln Child's Utopia and Douglas Preston's Jennie and Dinosaurs in the Attic. Attic is a great book on the NY Museum of Natural History. Highly recommend.

Sorry if I repeated books that have been mentioned. I am sure how to post in the section will come to me sooner or (hopefully not much) later. If anyone wants to fill me in on the "rules" for posting her in the Library, I would appreciate it!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Oh don't worry Uncle Ricky ~ So far 3 of us in the house have read it and all are foaming at the mouth every time we see a trailer.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 3:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Welcome to the library, Sillypickles! There are no special rules for this library. You can even be noisy if you want. We like hearing everyone's opinions, so "repeats" are encouraged. :-)

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Sea! :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 6:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yw. Mame!

Silly, no rules though since we often aren't reading the same books at the same time we don't give away plots, but we could always start a sub thread for a book or series.

Silly, have you seen BLACKFISH?

Not wanting to dredge up bad memories but I certainly tear up while watching that and I've watched it quite a few times when it is running on TV.

It kills me that Bindi Irwin has a relationship with Sea World.

I've read that book as well. And signed petitions.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Welcome Sillypickles! If there is anything I love, it's discussing books with other book lovers. have found new authors and books to read because of recommendations here.

I have not read the Preston Child books but I know my godmother loves them.

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
Thank you everyone! No spoiling, got it!

Seamonkey, yes, I have watched Blackfish many times and after reading DaSW, I want to watch it again. There is a new movie coming out next weekend called Racing Extinction in limited areas, so it might be a while before it's out for the general public. Looking forward to it. I didn't know Bindi was linked with SeaWorld! Oh my, how heartbreaking!

Mamie- I highly recommend the Preston/Child books. You need to read them in order though. Some of them "could be" stand alone books, but reading them in order you get a general idea of who is who as they don't spend a lot of time on character development going further into the series.

Their first book, Relic was made into a movie back in the 90's, but, the main character from the book (Pendergast) was not IN the movie! I normally don't like books like Relic and Reliquary, but my hubby recommended them, and I has nothing else to read, so I did. I really enjoyed them, oddly enough.

I am stuck on what to read next. Sometimes, after reading books like Death at SeaWorld, I need a light read. I read up thread about The Martian so I will check the library and see if our local branch has it, otherwise I have to order it from down the hill and sometimes that takes months.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Turns out I haven't read the book you just read about SeaWorld, Silly.. but another one that was quite thorough and upsetting as well..

Sometimes I go back through this thread and get great ideas about books.

Sillypickles

06-29-2015

Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sillypickles a private message Print Post    
Do you recall the name of it Seamonkey? I think there is one called "Blood in the water" or that might have been an article.

I did watch Blackfish again last night. It's interesting how you can watch it again and pick up on something you missed the previous time.

A girlfriend and I are going to hit the thrift stores on Tuesday, so I am going to pick up some books from there. I like going to thrift stores and finding books that I would never have heard of and getting them for $.25 -.50, especially if I don't enjoy them I don't feel I wasted money. We have a very small public library, but is part of the larger San Bernardino library system so I can order books from down the hill. But, it just seems like it takes forever to get them as the more popular ones stay down the hill for a longer period of time. I read a wide range of books, the only books I don't care for is Sci-fi and romance books. I love true crime, non-fiction and then courthouse drama. Depends on my mood.

I love the Stuart Woods books with Stone Barrington. Those are the best light, fun reads of all. Anyone else read Stuart Woods?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
For fans of dystopian novels (I think that's the proper term), I just read a series which kept me interested enough to purchase the second and third books after the first free one. It is called "Until the End of the Word" and is written by Sarah Lyons Fleming. It is a zombie novel but it follows the non-affected survivors as the try to avoid being bitten and create safe zones, deal with relationships, friendships, etc.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just started My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman who also wrote A Man Called Ove. So far I am enjoying the new book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Beneath The Surface: Killer Whales, SeaWorld and the Truth Beyond Blackfish by John Hargrove, former Senior Orca Trainer, Seaworld.

That's the one I read awhile back.

I like getting free books for Kindle!! And bargain ones.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I purchased the Martian for my Kobo.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Hope you like it!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished Our Town and while I didn't love it, I liked it quite a bit. The fictional tale inspired by his mother Tatum O'Neal and her parents, Joanna Moore and Ryan O'Neal, is very well written and never boring.

This morning I finished Taylor Jenkins Reid's second book, After I Do and loved it. Not as much as I loved her first one, but close. When she revealed the geographic (Los Angeles) location of the main character's house, I was amused that it's 3 blocks from my high school.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 10:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I forgot to mention that I've begun - thanks to Reenie's glowing review - the debut by Robin Sloan, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. Only a chapter into it but I'm intrigued by where the plot will go.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed Mr. Penumbra.

I am reading The Gates of Evangeline by Hester Young. A mother who has lost her son, starts having dreams where lost children come to her. I've just started it and it's very good so far.

I am also reading Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff and not sure how I feel about it yet.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I thought Mr. Penumbra was rather interesting.}

Rvon

12-11-2003

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I just finished one of the best books -- "An Incredible Thread" by Laura Schroff. It's her story of her unlikely meeting with an 11-year old panhandler and how this invisible thread brought these two very different people together. It's a wonderful story

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL.. Amazon doesn't have it.. went on the net and it is An Invisible Thread which I seem to have bought a year and a day ago..

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Oops! Dang, this is the second time I've done this. I you read it yet?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Not yet..

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry was very good, I really enjoyed it.