TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 11, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 11, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Brailling for Wile with mixed feelings but interesting novel.

Trying to decide what's next.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have started reading The Martian.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
In honor of Dr. Oliver Sacks, who recently passed, I've started reading his biography released earlier this year "On The Move." For those of you who haven't heard of him, Dr. Sacks was a brilliant neuroscientist and doctor, the author of the book "Awakenings" that was made into a movie starring Robin Williams.

I'm not very far into the book yet, but it is a touching recount of his life, with humor and humility, as he discusses how he came to terms with being gay at a time when society was far less accepting, and his lifetime interest in how we get to be who we are and what role the brain plays. It's fascinating, poignant, and funny.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Trying to remember if Oliver Sacks being gay was brought out in the Robin Williams film...

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kar, it is a good one! I bought and read it when he announced he had a terminal condition. And very touching, indeed.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Recently finished A Man Called Ove which I enjoyed. Just finished Guest Cottage by Nancy Thayer. Predictable like most of her books, but a nice read nonetheless.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mame, I don't think it was brought out in the movie, or in the book..of course only his autobiographies were about himself.

The one Kar is reading does speak to that.

The one about his uncle, don't think so.. it was about his boyhood, and the one I read along with the newer bio was about his interest in ferns.. quite readable too.

Liking The Martian!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Finished This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance. Loved the story and the way it was written. I did like his first book The Revised Fundamentals for Caregiving more though.

I am jumping on the bandwagon and reading The Martian too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 3:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It really hooks you to keep reading.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Not sure if this is where I should be putting this but I thought perhaps all you readers might be interested in this link.

It was posted on my MSN homepage, so hopefully it's legitimate. :-) It's supposed to alert you to great deals if you still buy books.

I always go to the library myself, especially as my youngest son is a librarian there. :-)

http://thebookinsider.com/book-lovers-are-obsessed-with-this-website-ca/

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I get the BookBub emails. BookGorilla is a good one too. I am all for a deal.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm starting American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson. He has me chuckling right from the first page.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I get BoobBob, Book Gorila, and two others (one is from Amazon) every day. Have found some great stuff for free or cheap..

Definitely legit.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Any Apple users who can go to the General Discussion thread and answer a question for Rissa?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Not an apple user but I see Jimmer, who definitely is one, has ridden to the rescue. Actually I did know that you can cross platforms with the apps.

Uh... BookBub, not BoobBob.. and Gorilla, not Gorilla.. tsk.. definitely was on my Kindle Fire and not paying attention as well.

I'm going through The Martian too late into the night and too fast..

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
IT by Stephen King was a really great book. Definitely worth rereading. I think I want to reread The Stand. It's been 25+ years since that one, too, probably. Just started a Janet Dailey book, Rivals. Seems typical so far.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I love the way Stephen King brings life to his stories and I particularly enjoy the parts of his stories that take place in the 50's - 70's (like in IT or 11/22/63). I've only read a few of his books but unfortunately I often find his endings a letdown.

11/22/63
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
I hated the ending. I felt totally cheated and down after reading that.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished The Martian and am now making everyone in my family read it because I want to TALK about it but can't until they are done. I've watched the trailer for the movie 3 times and I want to see it NOW!

Yes, I really liked this book!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 3:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
And, Kappy, please don't forget to take all of your family members with you to see it. My employer is releasing the film, so the more tickets sold the better. We've released some bombs this year (Fantastic Four, Poltergeist, etc.), unfortunately, so we need a hit!

I finished The Extra Man and LOVED it. Jonanthan Ames is beyond gifted -- I laughed my head off from start to finish. I had no idea a film version exists (released 2010), so I have to track down a copy of that.

I'm now reading Our Town by Kevin Jack McEnroe (son of John McE. and Tatum O'Neal). It's nice and short and is holding my interest.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I really liked The Martian, too.. finished it.. and now reading a book about the close relationship between Eleanor Roosevelt and a younger doctor, written by his wife using their letters. Kindred Souls.

Uncle Ricky, did you already read The Martian?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I have not, Sea, and there's over 1,000 people ahead of me in line at the library!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 12:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The author originally just gave away copies online and incorporated suggestions, then his fans asked him to release it for Kindle, so he did and set the price of 99 cents, lowest allowed as a permanent price, and it started selling!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What an amazing story about getting it sold. And now it's a big movie!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The author is amazed and happy. I rarely go to movies, but I may go see this one.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, September 11, 2015 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I had to stop myself from peeking at the ending to see if he got off of Mars! Very interesting read. Besides the science of it all, it was rather funny. I did picture Matt Damon as Watney the whole time. I want to see the movie and see how it is played on screen.