TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 21, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 21, 2015 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Girl on the Train, and I really enjoyed it. It always intrigues me when you have an unreliable narrator; there is that added dimension of how much can be trusted from what the narrator says. TGotT had more than 1 unreliable narrator, so that made it even better. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished American Ebola, and it is scary in terms of our lack of consistent protocol, and not following what we do have.

Now reading a book that was a free Prime book of a month, novel, Trail of Broken Wings.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Over the weekend I finished Tom Rob Smith's The Secret Speech, which the second book in the "Child 44" trilogy. It was a lot more exciting than Child 44 was, though I found myself really having to suspend disbelief in a couple of sections. I love how he has no problem killing off characters who seem like they'll survive the entire book (but don't)!

I'm now reading The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith. It's the book that the film "Carol" is based on and which will be released later this year and stars Cate Blanchett. The word is that Blanchett will get another Oscar nomination for her performance. "Carol" was the title given to the UK version of the book, which was released under Highsmith's pseudonym (Claire Morgan) due to the subject matter. The blurb on the book jacket claims that the book helped to inspire Nabokov to write Lolita. Hmmmmm. I'm enjoying it a lot - I hope I end up liking it as much as I liked Lolita.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I read Radiant Angel today - DeMille's new John Corey book. I always enjoy them. For our library challenge I'm reading a book of short stories by Flannery O'Connor and tomorrow I'll be starting The Princess Bride for another category in the challenge. Summer is running out, so I need to read at least 3-4 books a week now.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just read Movie Star by Lizzie Pepper by Hilary Liftin. It's about a young actress who is swept off her feet by a famous movie star with a megawatt smile and who also belongs to a cult-like studio. Sound familiar? It's "supposedly" not about TomKat but it was sure a fun read.

I am now reading The Night Sister by Jennifer McMahon. Her books are always nice and spooky.

And I am reading Mrs. Sinclair's Suitcase, the author's name escapes me right now. But it's about a woman who finds an old letter to her grandmother that makes no sense to her. It alternates between her story and her grandmother's story.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Trail of Broken Wings was well done, heavy but ended hopefully.

Seeing the reality show I am Cait reminded me that I had a couple of books by Jennifer Finney Boylan, so I started {I'm Looking Through You: Growing Up Haunted: A Memoir}.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished The Price of Salt and loved it. It reminded me that there are still a ton of Patricia Highsmith's novels I still have to read.

I next read Zeroville by Steve Erickson, who's written several highly-praised books. This one is from 2007 and features an intensely quirky protagonist who is obsessed with the Taylor/Clift classic film "A Place in the Sun." The film version comes out later this year and stars James Franco (he directed it as well). The book was a lot of fun and it helps a lot to be familiar with cinema history. I'm not sure I'll read Erickson's other books - I have a feeling they're a little too "out there" for me.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the first Jenny Boylan book and started her original memoir: She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders and also watched the second have of The Road Trip on I Am Cait.. Jenny was on the roadtrip with Cait and I liked the way she listened to his assistant.. the woman who interacted with Cait for over two years before Cait ever came out in public or to family so much. This woman was feeling sort of neglected as Cate was savoring her new public role. Jenny was able to validate the feelings and explain why Cait was in a pink euphoric cloud.. but later she approached Cait and let her know she needed to appreciate the friend who had helped her get to this point.

Jenny is a professor and was one as Jimmy Boylan. She is unique in the group of transgendered women Cait gathered together in that she was married to Grace, has two sons and while they had some rough times, Grace decided to stay with Jenny and vice versa, so they still have their family intact. When she came out her mother was really ok with it but she lost her sister which was quite wrenching.. because that included sister, brother in law and nieces/nephews.. Her work community supported her it seems, though I haven't read about that yet. Richard Russo is a good friend, though he doesn't teach where she does anymore (Colby?)

So.. enjoying her writing..

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I learned a lot from reading She's Not There. I do have her other book on my Kindle to get to eventually.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
In the superficial summer reading category, for those who like Young Adult books (which I do when I am brain tired), I just read a great series by an author named Brenda Hiatt "The Starstruck Novels." I got the first one free on Bookbub and liked it so much I actually paid for the three subsequent books. They are about a high school girl who finds out that she isn't what she seems and her adventures. It was an easy ready but I am truly sorry the series is over!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Our library book club is reading Big Little Lies, and it's another one I've read in 24 hours. Excellent book!

On Kindle I'm still reading The Princess Bride - but going a bit slower.

On Audible I'm listening to Doc: the Rape of the town of Lovell. It's one of those books that makes you want to punch people who are so vile and use their position to abuse people.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach I just recently read The Rape of the Town of Lovell (I did know the story from the past, but hadn't read it in that detail!) and I agree, you just want to punch SO many people!!!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finished Jennifer Weiner's new book, Who Do You Love. A very enjoyable little summer read.

I also read Mrs. Sinclair's Suitcase, which I also really enjoyed. Left me a bit teary-eyed.

I am reading Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica now.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
The Little Friend by Donna Tartt

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mak, I hope you like The Little Friend as much as I did - it's my favorite of Tartt's three books. Please share your review of it with us.

Yesterday I finished Gary Shteyngart's Little Failure, one of the best-reviewed books of 2014. It's his memoir that describes his family's move to New York (from Russia) when he was 7, circa 1972. It's very well-written, humorous and poignant throughout. It helps to be a fan of his first three books.

I am now immersed in Linwood Barclay's latest, Broken Promise - I'll be shocked if it's anything less than marvelous.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 17, 2015 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am also reading Watch Me by Anjelica Huston. So far, it's a lot of name dropping.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, August 17, 2015 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I am highly recommending Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica. Loved it! The first book that I have read that is likened to Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train that really comes close. You won't be disappointed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 10:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished A Life in Two Genders.. reading about her more recent book, her then wife must have left, which she knew could happen, and she does have a female partner (she lives in Maine, so perhaps has remarried).

At the time this book was written, she remarked that even though she had transitioned, she and her wife were still legally married, but if they divorced, at that time they could not legally remarry.

Very insightful book with after chapter be Richard Russo, her friend, fellow writer and former colleague at Colby, on his process adapting to the transition from Jim to Jenny.

Starting next a knitting themed book.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I picked up Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon last night and finished it this morning. Loved it! Loved two books in a row. I'm on a roll. It's a young adult book and not just the standard "sick girl meets boy and falls in love then sadness" story. The ending threw me for a loop.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I've been rereading Stephen King's "IT" for quite awhile now. It's a great book. Probably been at least 25+ years since I read it the first time.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Hehe, Heckagirl, my sis and I were talking about IT not that long ago. We both reread it every few years. It doesn't matter how many times we've read it, we'll still spend days after finishing it calling each other to complain that we can't sleep with the lights off, lol.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished A Life in Stitches by Rachel Herron, a series of essays that I very much enjoyed.

Now starting Go Set a Watchman.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am reading "Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store by Robin Sloan. I am loving it!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Currently reading In the Blood, a mystery by Lisa Unger. I have lots of theories as to 'who dunnit' already but there are alot of 'troubled' people to keep track of so we'll see, lol.

The book by Robin Sloan sounds good and is now on my library wishlist. Thanks, Reenie!

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, August 21, 2015 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Kappy, I enjoyed In the Blood. There are a lot of twists and you won't be disappointed.

I just read I'm Not Her by Cara Sue Achterberg. It was a grownup Freaky Friday with a woman switching bodies with the cashier at her store. A good commentary on not judging someone unless you are in their shoes.

I am reading Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin. A woman who was abducted years earlier thinks the man convicted of the crime is not the real culprit. And someone has planted black-eyed susans at her house. (Key the dramatic music) And the kidnapped girls were called the black eyed susans. Good so far, though it jumps between three time periods and that gets a little confusing.