TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 29, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 29, 2015 users admin

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm glad I mentioned it then, Mamie! There's always the chance you'll hate You (a distinct possibility) - then you won't have to bother with the follow-up!

Because you spoke of her so positively, I took a peek at what Taylor Jenkins Reid has released thus far and they look interesting enough that I have added her to the list of authors I've never heard of who I'll give a try in the future. [Wow, that was a nice run-on sentence!]

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 12:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Somewhere in Heaven and more impressed with how Dana and Chris handled life after his accident.

So now I'm reading a book Chris wrote {Nothing is Impossible: Reflections on a New Life}.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, July 10, 2015 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I have You on my Kindle waiting TBR. I almost forgot about it. Thanks for your review Uncle Ricky. :-)

Mamie, the blog title you previously wanted, That's What She Read, cracked me up. Love your current blog btw. :-)

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 11:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished Drop Shot by Harlen Coben. Not sure yet how I feel about him as a writer. I don't know why - maybe it's just a summer mood thing - but I find I'm forcing myself to stick with his books.

Just started Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finally finished Missoula, Rape and Justice in a College Town. While it was interesting and important, there was too much repetition. Detailing rape was obviously necessary, but detailing it first, then re-detailing it through other characters AND the trial, got to be a bit much.

Now I'm reading The Racketeer (John Grisham) and listening to The Heavens are Empty. I've never heard of the latter, so I'm hoping it's good. It's only 5 hours long, so then I'll be listening to The Lonely Polygamist or Divergent.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Recently read The Rosie Project which I enjoyed. It had a few lol moments. Finished The Rosie Effect yesterday and was a bit disappointed. Really disliked Rosie but Don was still a fun character. That being said, I would, however, be in interested in a 3rd book for the series.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "Insurgent" by Veronica Roth. On to book 3, "Allegiant".

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the Christopher Reeve book. He worked so hard and made so much progress and advocated for others.. sad that infection finally took him.

Now reading a sweet sad memoir of a pregnancy and a baby who only lived 5 days, but you feel the love.. Five Weeks: a Lifetime: The True Journey of CLinton Jacob by Hannah Sullivan.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Rieann, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you like You - it's a pretty nutty story but also a fun, rollercoastery ride. There's quite a bit of raunchiness amidst all the mayhem, so don't be surprised when you come across that!

I read and liked Difficult Men by Brett Martin. I read a similar book a few weeks ago (by Alan Sepinwall) that covered the same ground: how shows like "The Sopranos" and "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad" shaped TV's third golden age. Martin's book provided much more (dishy) behind-the-scenes glimpses of all these shows, so I much preferred it over Sepinwall's book! Very well written all around.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Have just started "Go Set a Watchman", so far so good!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have in on my Kindle.. will read soon.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, July 20, 2015 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Mamie! I got my butt-scratchers on a copy of Taylor Jenkins Reid's first novel, Forever, Interrupted and LOVED it. I'll definitely read her other two. Very sad story, but her writing style is very engaging and her protagonist kept me interested all the way to the final chapter. Thanks for the tip about Ms. Reid.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Finished Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. I would have a hard time recommending it because even though it's well written, like with Girl On a Train, I couldn't find any character to care about. I don't mind dark subject matter but I have found that I do need to care about at least one character in a book and I didn't with either of these.

So I'm switching gears. A group at the library that's into mysteries is reading Dog On It (how opposite can I go, LOL!) and I also want to begin The Rosie Project.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
So glad you liked her, Uncle_Rickey!

I really liked Everything I Never Told You. They were hard to like and extremely flawed but it kept me reading.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I am SO late to this particular party, but I have to add my rave review for A Man Called Ove. Our library book club is discussing it tomorrow morning, so I picked it up last night intending to read half then and half today. I started at 10 PM and completely finished at 3:30. I adored it!! Fabulous story, fabulous humor, and even some fabulous tears.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Very impressive, Teach. Five-and-a-half hours, wow! I wish I had a brain as large as yours! Glad you liked Ove - he was a hoot and a half!

Last night I finished Kate Mulgrew's memoir Born with Teeth - very nicely written and obscenely short at only 306 pages. I have to believe that because she left so much out, she plans to write a follow-up. Not one peep about "Orange is the New Black" for example. She was the only reason I watched "Ryan's Hope" back in the 70s (betraying my loyal devotion to the P&G soaps like AW, GL, ATWT and EON).

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
English teacher hazard - fast reader to plow through 40,000 words every other week of student essays. :-)

Now I'm listening to Eragon - I've heard and read bits and pieces when my DS was reading it, but I've never read it from beginning to end. It fills the category for our library challenge of "A book by an author under 30." I'm also reading The Girl on the Train as a library loan.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 24, 2015 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ah, Teach, so glad you got to know about Ove. I hated to have it end.

I finished the journal about the baby.. sad but sweet the way they integrated this baby who lived 5 weeks into the family, the two kids they had were able to visit him and still imagine him as their angel in heaven.

Now reading an older true crime book, Doc: The Rape of the Town of Lovell by Jack Olsen. Long book and I know the story, but interesting and infuriating.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I just finished The New Neighbor by Leah Stewart and though I liked her other books, this was just didn't do it for me. I didn't hate it but there was not one likable character in the bunch.

I am starting Paper Towns by John Green so I can read it before I see the movie.

I am also still reading Summer Secrets by Jane Green. I just realized I have to Green books going :-)

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, July 27, 2015 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just finished The Photograph by Penelope Lively and came here to post before I forget how much I enjoyed it. It is sort of a psychological mystery about a recently-deceased woman (Kath) in the photograph. Her widower is on a quest to learn about the circumstances of the photo. As the book progresses, he and her family members learn not only about Kath but also more about themselves. There is much sadness, but also humor and intrigue.

I've also been reading the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. I didn't enjoy the 4th book but will read the next one to see if it can reel me back in. I do like the Odd character.

I also recently read To Kill A Mockingbird. I guess nearly everyone else in the country (world?) has read it, but I hadn't yet. I saw the movie years ago. I have To Set A Watchman. Our winter book club will be discussing the two books together.

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Also just started "A Man Called Ove" and wanted to note that amazon is showing a new release by Fredrik Backman called "my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry." Thanks to all who recommended Ove.

Also reading "Go Set A Watchman," and am enjoying it greatly.

Have just finished the Millenium series by Stieg Larsson. If you like thrillers at all, I highly recommend the trilogy.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The Rape of the Town of Lovell was well written, detailed and absolutely infuriating. I remember that case and wow.. cultlike devotion to an abuser.

Now reading a short non fiction American Ebola about how unprepared we were for it to arrive in the US.

Glad someone else is going to experience Ove! His newer book sounds so good but I'm not forking over $12.99 for it!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
For those who loved Stieg Larsson's 'Millenium' series, he has a 4th book coming out Sept. 1st where Blomkvist and Lisbeth join forces again. YAY for us!

Wish my library would let us onto the reserve list before the release date (grumble). I might have to actually fork out some money this time, lol.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Sorry ~ Let me correct myself. The Girl in the Spider's Web: A Lisbeth Salander novel, continues the Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series but is written by David Lagercrantz, not Stieg Larsson, who passed away before the Millennium series was published.

I'm still hopeful and yes, I figured out how to get on the hold list at the library even though it isn't released yet. Only 13 people ahead of me!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Enjoyed the trilogy, but was surprised by the ending.