TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 24, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 24, 2015 users admin

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Friday, June 12, 2015 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I recently finished a book that was just a library grab an did not really expect to like it but took a shot. 'The old man that escaped out the window and disapeared' I loved it! A wild ride this old man has had an for him, life def does not end at 100.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Nice to be surprised like that!!

I finished The Story of Charlotte's Web and sorry it is over but it was a most satisfying read. E. B. White's life intersected with so many of the literary elite.. Thurber included and we have even J. D. Salinger popping into the book once.

Now reading the memoir of a skydiver

Above All Else: A World Champion Skydiver's Story of Survival and What it Taught Him ABout Fate, Adversity, and Success, by Dan Brodsky-Chenfeld.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
The Problem of Pain C.S. Lewis

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The book about the sky diver was interesting but not well written and at times he tended to self promote a bit more than necessary.

Then just finished a well written book The Good Luck Cat: How a Cat Saved a Family, and a Family Saved a Cat by Lissa Warren.. I'm now going to re-read the sad but sweet book about Frank Deford's late daughter, Alex: Alex: The Life of a Child. Alex had Cystic Fibrosis. There was a also a tv movie that I loved, sad as it was. This just came out on Kindle and I got it.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Frank Deford's book is a lovely testament to his daughter and being a parent. Loved it when I read it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I decided it was worth reading again. I used to have the movie on tape.. still do but nothing to play it on. That was also really well done.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished my reread of Dragonfly in Amber and am about 3 hours away from finishing a re-listen to Written in My Own Heart's Blood. I'm also thoroughly enjoying Noah Gordon's The Death Committee. I LOVE SUMMER!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 19, 2015 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Heh.. wallowing, are you? Such fun!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Wallow, wallow, wallow...

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Alex, The Life of a Child. Frank Deford is an accomplished writer and the book is heart-wrenching but so well done. Definitely had teary times.

Now I'm starting to read Beverly Jenkins' Blessings series from the beginning and will end with the newest and sixth book (TNT.. you probably can get the new book at your library)

So that will be a six book wallow indeed!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We are such good wallowers! Just downloaded The Talbot Odyssey to listen to next. Hoping to finish The Death Committee by mid-week, and then I think a John Grisham book is next as I need to read an author who has the same initials I do. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Although I was disheartened by Gary Shteyngart's second novel (Absurdistan), I was very pleased to find that his third, Super Sad True Love Story, is a vast improvement - I enjoyed it immensely. And the word is that Ben Stiller is adapting it into a film.

I next read, finally, The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown. I'm pretty sure it was Sea who turned me on to it (thanks, Sea!). Here is my very brief review of it via Twitter:

"The only review #theboysintheboat deserves: it's so good that any1 who ignores it is a complete CRACKPOT" @DJamesBrown

https://twitter.com/munoz_ric/status/
612371516160761856/photo/1

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh I'm glad you finally got to it.. I just LOVED it. I love learning of people's lives where you also get so much history at the same time.

The book about E. B. White, that I recently read, was like that, though of course he lead a much different life but so much stuff about the first quarter centery of The New Yorker and of course about Charlotte's Web, which he wrote, and his life and many other interesting people who were in his life..

Love your review!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
In fact I just retweeted it and you have a new follower.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Awww, thank you, Lynn! I hope it didn't come across that I was fishing for followers. The only people who follow me are my running acquaintances (and my husband, Seth, of course).

I hope you don't mind that I followed you in return! That's a nice profile photo you've got!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I finished reading Divergent by Veronica Roth and immediately watched the movie afterward. They were both very good. Planning to read all of them.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Loved the review! I am following you now too :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh I didn't think you were fishing at all.. happy to follow you. I don't really read that often but it is fun to go through now and then with interesting people..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I need to change the photo. That tab didn't use to cover half the cat :-)

She had just rolled the basket and was giving me that stare upside down..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 22, 2015 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thank you Mary! I have followed you as well!

I agree, Sea, that it's fun to go through people's timelines. My aren't that interesting - just book reviews, theatre reviews and my assorted running races.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mine really aren't either .. I didn't know Amazon was tweeting when I remembered to use AmazonSmile so they would donate a tiny bit to Kids of Childhood Cancer.. but I saw that they do tweet, so I'm sure I gave permission and I adore the people who started that nonprofit in honor and memory of their son Vinny.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Every little bit helps! (As you know.)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We had our public board meeting tonight, and I found out A Man Called Ove is our read for July. :-) I had put a hold on it way back when you all were talking of it, but since I was 140 or so, I knew I'd never get it before July. Fortunately, they had a copy at the front desk, so I will finally get to read the book that so many of you loved!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Great choice!! I think you will love it or him, Teach.

Yes, Ric.. every little bit. These people bought a condo and they send families of kids with cancer there for respite care and rent it out other times to help pay for the mortgage and maintenance. They went there with their son and he loved it and went there after he dies. They also worked to start a Lego night at their children's hospital .. Vinny loved his legos and they found it was a therapy for lots of kids. The Lego store worked with them, bringing legos.. and I think the program has expanded to other hospitals as well.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
What a nice story that is, as well as a nice legacy for the family to have to remember their son!