TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 18, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 18, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Reenie, that sounds good.. I miss Ove.

Some characters really get to me, like Edward in Craig Lancaster's 600 Hours of Edward and Edward Adrift. Like many of his readers I keep hoping he will do a third Edward book.

And the characters, many characters in Beverly Jenkins' Blessings series (the first is Bring On the Blessings). I'm in love with an entire town for those books. Hmm.. I know I pre-ordered the latest.. not sure when it is coming out.

April 28! Yes!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Some of you may recall me raving about one of my all-time favorite writers (Barbara Pym) a few months ago. There's an excellent article about her in the latest New Yorker. She is, quite simply, one of the most under-rated writers in the history of fiction!

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/barbara-pym-and-the-new-spinster

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I have to agree with you about The Girl on the Train. I'm NEVER able to figure out the mystery when I read thrillers and mysteries, but I managed to do it with this book. It held my interest and it was an excellent debut for a first-time novelist. The main character (Rachel) was a captivating hot mess, but her novelty wore off as the story drew to its conclusion. I'll read Hawkins' next book for sure - let's hope it's a little bit more challenging.

My library copy of Anne Tyler's latest (A Spool of Blue Thread) arrived on Thursday and I devoured it over the weekend. I adore her writing SO much, that it's hard for me to be objective. This newest novel, her 20th, was marvelous throughout and there's speculation, sadly, that it might be her last (she's 73).

I think the reason I love her books so much is because they all deal with families: the ups and downs and triumphs and defeats. I also think it's because I had no family (other than my mother) growing up and reading Tyler's stuff helps to fill that void I've carried around since childhood. I never tire of reading about the matriarchs and patriarchs of her stories, nor about the brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents - I get to experience what I missed out on by embracing Tyler's fictional family units. The bonus is that she's a fabulous writer who cares deeply about her characters - it's nearly impossible for the reader not to care as well.

A Spool of Blue Thread is one of her longer works and I treasured it from start to finish!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh, I want to read A Spool of Blue Thread.. balking at paying full price though.

Uncle Ricky, have you ever read any of the series by R.F. Delderfield? He was a British author and my family and friends devoured them.. starting with God is an Englishman.. that whole series and there was at least one other.. All thick delicious sagas.. fat books, generations of families. Loved. Them.

Some of them;

Series

1958: The Dreaming Suburb and The Avenue Goes to War belong to the "Avenue series"

1966–1968: A Horseman Riding By is a trilogy comprising "Long Summer's Day", "Post of Honour" and "The Green Gauntlet".

1970–1973: God is an Englishman, Theirs was the Kingdom, and Give Us This Day belong to the "Swann saga"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._F._Delderfield

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendations, Sea! I can never get enough of those Brits, they're simply too divine. I tracked down his first published novel, from 1947, (All Over The Town) at the library. I just have to wait for it to be sent over to my branch in Van Nuys from the central downtown L.A. headquarters.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Uncle Ricky ~ Any recommendations on which book to start with first from Barbara Pym?

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 06, 2015 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I'm pretty sure most of these are available on Amazon and at the library, Kappy. I personally always try to start from the beginning of a writer's career, if possible. (Though I read an interview with Anne Tyler where she said she would destroy all copies of her first four books if she could - she didn't think she was fully developed yet as a writer. Sacrilege!)

Anyway, this is a list of all of Pym's books in the order she wrote them. If you can find a copy of "Some Tame Gazelle" I can confirm it was really good. And if you like it (and her style), then I have no doubt you'll like all the others. If you were to ask me what my favorite is, I'd have to go with "The Sweet Dove Died" (and that one should be available because it's one of her most popular titles).

The New Yorker article really described well the type of stories she wrote - not quite not happy, not quite sad. I loved them all!

Some Tame Gazelle;
written 1935-1950; published 1950
Crampton Hodnet
written 1939-1940; published 1985
Excellent Women
written 1949-51; published 1952
Jane and Prudence
written 1950-1952; published 1953
Less Than Angels
written 1953-1954; published 1955
A Glass of Blessings
written 1955-1956; published 1958
No Fond Return of Love
written 1957-1960; published 1961
An Unsuitable Attachment
written 1960-1965; published 1982
The Sweet Dove Died
written 1963-1969; revised 1977, published 1978
An Academic Question
written 1970-1972; published 1986
Quartet in Autumn
written 1973-1976; published 1977
A Few Green Leaves
written 1977-1979; published 1980
A Very Private Eye: An Autobiography in Diaries and Letters - Published 1984
Civil to Strangers and Other Writings - Published 1987}

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 10, 2015 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read a novel, Be My Eyes by Dustin Stevens, that started out with me not really liking anyone but soon evolved into a book I enjoyed.

And for Lisa Genova, I will pay full price, so I am now reading her newest novel, Inside the O'Briens.

Jimmer, I have thought and actually I read a fair number of books that are not about dark things: The Boys in the Boat, the book about the White House Butler (written by him, with lots of years of history), the book about Arlington National Cemetary, Tom Bergeron's memoir, the memoir by the guy involved with TV for years including I Love Lucy and so many more but many of those are non fiction which maybe you find too grim?

I don't see much difference from all the popular books with zombies or all the mysteries involving cruel people, or thrillers, etc. Just because they are fiction doesn't make them ultimately uplifting. (not saying you are saying that, of course.. must musing about why I get labeled as a reader of negativity).

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, April 10, 2015 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I was happy when I got an advance copy of Inside the O'Briens. Haven't gotten to it yet but can't wait. I have so many advance copies to review that I can never read them or review them at the time they first come out so I try to at least read the ones from authors that I enjoy a lot.

I am reading At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen. (Another author I usually like) And I also started Rare Bird: A Memoir of Loss and Love by Anna Whiston-Donaldson, that already has me in tears and that's just in the first few pages!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 10, 2015 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You have an embarrassment of riches, Mamie! I like Sara Gruen too, or at least what I've read.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, April 10, 2015 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Don't I know it!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 10:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Wow - Thanks for taking the time to post that list, Uncle Ricky!

Just finished All the Light We Cannot See. A very good book that really transports you back in time to the places where the characters live. You see it from two different perspectives - one French and one German. It begins when they are both children and the Nazis were coming into power. Very well done in showing how it effected so many lives and the resilience of so many people when they're entire lives are destroyed. I went through more then a bit of kleenex at the end.

Moving onto to something light-hearted, What Alice Forgot while I wait for A Man Named Ove to come in at the library.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
You're welcome, Kappy, it was my pleasure. And my library copy of Ove arrived yesterday, but I can't start reading it until next weekend.

Some of you may recall that, a few months ago, I recommended watching a segment of "60 Minutes" that featured an old friend of mine, John Riordan. Lesley Stahl interviewed him about his rescue of his Citibank colleagues just before the 1975 fall of Saigon. John has written a book about the rescue, They Are All My Family, and I can confirm -- even though he's my friend -- that he did an excellent job retelling his remarkable story. It's only 240 pages and can be read fairly quickly. I honestly cannot believe how brave one person can be, especially when the risks are so great for imprisonment (or death).

I have about 50 pages left of I Must Say - My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short. My library copy FINALLY arrived and I am loving it -- he writes in such a nice, conversational tone, nothing at all heavy-handed. I'm going to HATE to send it end. Thanks again to Mamie316 for bringing the existence of this book to my attention!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don't see much difference from all the popular books with zombies or all the mysteries involving cruel people, or thrillers, etc. Just because they are fiction doesn't make them ultimately uplifting. (not saying you are saying that, of course.. must musing about why I get labeled as a reader of negativity).

That's a very good point, Sea. A lot of what you seem to read is non-fiction and biographies about real people who faced a serious crisis in their lives which of course is very real.

Fictional books about spies, zombies, vampires, cruel people, murderers, etc. are all sort of considered escapist and not considered particularly real (because of course they are fiction).

So I can read a series like Game of Thrones where hundreds of people are killed and/or living miserable lives and enjoy it because I know that those people aren't real and I'm not likely to be attacked by a dragon.

Anyway, I hope you don't think that I'm labeling you in any way. I just found it interesting.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 3:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
You are so welcome, Uncle_Ricky. I really felt like I was reading a good friend's story when I read it. And his love for his wife, just beautiful.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, I'm heavy on non fiction.. I didn't realize how much until I was updating my recent book list on kboards and out of the last 31 books I've read (including the one I'm reading) only 5 were fiction!

http://www.kboards.com/reading/?id=868

Not sure if that link will work for someone other than me or now.. it is a neat feature and part of it can show on each post we make then you can click to see it all (well of course it is limited to the last so many we've entered) and if any other poster's list looks intriguing you can bring it up and get ideas..

Authors mostly include their own books ;) And we have quite a few authors there.

Uncle Ricky that looks like a good book.. I'll hope for a price drop! So odd, I used to buy hardbacks for more money, though of course liked it when they were on sale, but with kindle books I just hate to go into double digits.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, lol about the dragon attack. I used to read all the Anne McCaffrey books but those dragons were good guys and I wanted one!! Not that I'd have room for one any place I've lived.. well maybe in Modjeska canyon where we had a long back yard that ran into the creek..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Inside the O'Briens is so well written.. very sad central theme, Huntington's, but such interesting characters and so well written, I'm halfway through and dragging my feet because then I have to wait for a couple of years until her next book is published.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I've been using goodreads.com to keep track of what I've read and I've also taken some of the their suggestions based on what I've read.

Since I retired 10 months ago, I've made heavy use of the library to save money. I'm getting pretty adept at putting myself on waiting lists and predicting how long before the book will be available. I waited 5 months for All the Light We Cannot See and it was worth it. Orphan Train should be ready in the next month.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sadly, I finished reading Inside the O'Brien's.. very well done, no final answers on the characters..

Starting next another novel, by Jill McCorkle, Life After Life.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Sea, I liked Life after Life. I'm glad you enjoyed the O'Briens. I will get around to it soon!

I finished Rare Bird. Such a sad story, the loss of a 12-year-old son but the family handled it with such grace because of their deep faith in God.

I am still reading Sara Gruen's new one. I got a bit more into it last night. And I started The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. It's one of those books that I've had on my shelf forever.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
FINALLY found time to finish The Secret Life of Bees and have started on The Death Committee by Noah Gordon. The next couple weeks are just crazy busy with school stuff, so I probably won't be able to do much more than listen to The Brotherhood of the Blade that I started last weekend. At least I can listen!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I went to a book reading today.. sadly a very small group.. I don't think it was really well advertised. I just happened to see a flyer awhile back and signed up. The author is Brandy Lien Worrall.. her mom is Vietnamese, dad a Vietnam vet from Pennsylvania. Both parents were exposed to Agent Orange , dad suffered from PTSD.

Brandy had epilepsy as a child, triple negative breast cancer stage 3 in her late 20s. Her dad was diagnosed with lung cancer that had metastasized to the liver and they were told it wouldn't be too long, months, but he only lived 17 days. Her mom doesn't speak much English and totally depended on her dad for everything. Mom still lives in PA near Brandy's sister.

Brandy also went through a divorce after her diagnosis (not sure of the timing yet), has had three kids, one post breast cancer and reconstruction. That daughter was there today.. adorable, as was her second husband. They live in Vancouver, BC. She's a poet and a writer and I'm certainly impressed with her for writing about a number of issues.

So I got a paper copy of the book signed but also ordered it on Kindle (lenadable, too).

This book isWhat Doesn't Kill Us and she is writing a book about her father's death.

Oh and she also had PTSD after dealing with cancer.

I'll be reading this soon. As her reviewers say, she is blunt and bold and has attitude.. and I liked her a lot.

Online at brandyworrall.com

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Has anyone read the Mercury Falls series by Robert Kroese? All three in the trilogy are currently $2 for Kindle, but I hate to waste money if the series isn't any good. (I trust YOUR opinions more than the ratings on Amazon!)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I own it, but cannot find the exact version to see what I paid.

I read negative reviews often to see if their issues mesh with mine.

Some people speak of the humor being overbearing.

Can't really help, since I haven't read it.

Hopefully Mamie has.