TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 05, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 05, 2015 users admin

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 7:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
It was on sale for Kindle the other day but I didn't get it and now it's regular price. Hopefully, it goes down again.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got the sale price.. and unfortunately it is not lendable or one of you could borrow it.

I loved it. It isn't like anything really.. or maybe it is but I haven't read it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 9:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished the book about SeaWorld by a former trainer at SeaWorld in Texas and San Diego, also in France for Marineland.. very sad..

Starting Pandora's DNA: Tracing the Breast Cancer Genes Through History, Science and One Family Tree by Lizzie Stark.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished listening to Leon Uris' QB VII. Not sure why, but I didn't get into it like I thought I would; it was certainly interesting material - trial for Nazi crimes - but I didn't feel invested in any of the main characters.

Still working on reading The Secret Life of Bees and American Cookery (the latter written by Bear McCreary's mum - he who does music for Black Sails, Walking Dead, Outlander, etc.). Four more days and we're on Spring Break, so I can not only finish all of the above BUT read more!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
When we read SLOB together here, I felt like I needed a great hat to wear while reading!!

I did love the movie, too.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 6:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I loved SLOB, book and movie!

Kappy, Orphan Train was really interesting and eye-opening. I hadn't learned about this part of our country's history. I know the trains started with good intentions but things certainly didn't always work out for the best!

I look forward to reading the Ove book, too. Thanks for the recommendation, Sea.

I just started Stephen King's Revival.

On my Kindle, I just finished The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. It's a classic I had never read. I was surprised at the nastiness of the man. I thought it would be a light-hearted story.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 7:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I read REvival earlier this year and I wasnt too keen on it from the description, but once I got into it, I found it quite good.
Now I am reading Syndrome E by Franck Thilliez. Its good but not the kind of story you find yourself immersed in. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589136-syndrome-e

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I've just started All the Light We Cannot See and have now added A Man Called Ove to my wishlist at the library. And yes, they have a digital copy!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I think the author of A Man Called Ove needs to send Sea a thank you note.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I totally agree, Rieann!

Over the weekend I read All I Did Was Ask by Terry Gross. It's a collection of her NPR interviews over the years with various celebrities. The interview with Gene Simmons of KISS was worth the price of admission all by itself -- the hostility was fascinating!

Thanks to all the rave reviews many of you have offered about The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, I snagged a copy from the library and am totally enthralled with it. I'll be shocked if it's not turned into a film.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 30, 2015 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I sure hope people like it! It isn't anything like what most people are reading, including me, but I loved it!

You have to warm up to it but it happens.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I checked out reviews on Amazon after seeing the title here and they were good enough for me to want to check it out (A Man Called Ove).

Dovez

08-27-2005

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dovez a private message Print Post    
am now reading "a man called ove" and love, love, love it

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Well, the library's digital collection has The Girl on the Train, but I'm #140 and there are only 10 copies. May be a while ... and Ove is over $10 on Kindle, so I'll wait until it's on sale.

Got a book today from a fellow teacher called Magicians by Lev Grossman. Has anyone read it? One of the library challenge books is a book with magic in it, so this will work, but I'd like to know if it's going to be fun.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, April 02, 2015 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Pandora's DNA.. quite a good and personal book about dealing with the BRCA gene mutations in a family with three generations at least carrying the gene and two heavily hit by breast and/or ovarian cancers.

Starting Warrior Patient: A memoir about Survival, Hope, love & Laughter by Temple Emmet Williams. So far, not far into it, not overly impressed.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Friday, April 03, 2015 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Jumping on the The Man Named Ove" bandwagon in here! Just got it from Audible.com and will start listening to it soon!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 03, 2015 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh I'll be interested to hear how the reading of it goes.. how they will read Ove's snarky curmudgeonly comments on people.

Also what accents they will use...

Is the author reading it?

Warrior Patient.. it is odd.. the author was an editor for Reader's Digest, but he has an odd style of referring to himself that grates.. and I'm not charmed by his description of his sense of humor, but.. he makes really valid points on broken aspects of medical care and how you HAVE to make crucial decisions yourself, which at times he did not and he ended up with so many horrible consequences. Worth reading and I think it was free, anyway.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 12:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It was actually $0.99. I started and finished an Alzheimer's memoir, which was sad.. also frustrating for all reasons one can imagine but then additionally, the author was a bit odd..or hard to understand. She has a later book where she became homeless, which I don't plan to buy. Her style of writing is slow and repetitive. Her life.. married, husband drank, she had panic attacks, left her family for a woman, which isn't a problem for me but she left without telling them seemed resentful of her 21 year old son for not being the little boy who stayed home with her when she was agoraphobic, and her 13 year old adopted daughter, who she termed "oriental", not Asian.

Then there is almost nothing about that family just a mention now and then and later in life she seems puzzled that her grown children don't want to be in her life, yet she has been "unable to leave" the woman she lived with (at the very end she supposes people think they are gay and says well maybe .. just odd) for her daughter's wedding, though she apparently went when a grandchild was born but then doesn't mention grandchildren again.

She is devoted to Carol, taking care of her at home for a long long time and then visiting at the homes she is in.

But oddly much of the time her divorce from her husband wasn't finalized, he didn't want it to be and she went passive, but then she couldn't be on the deed to the condo with Carol because she was advised that her husband would then own half of her half, yet she couldn't manage to go to court to finalize the divorce, even when the court was about to throw it out, she just wrote a letter saying this is the circumstance, do what you think is fair. The judge gave her some alimony which helped her to rent a room after she sold Carol's condo and put the money in trust to pay for care homes and caregivers.

I feel for the situation but find her passivity in all of her life except when advocating for Carol, to be somewhat puzzling. It could be just in the flat affect of the telling..

She also describes times when she did quite an effective job working in adult day care programs.

Toward the end of the book her health isn't so good so I am guessing that was what pushed her into homelessness.

This free book is Just a Word: Friends encounter Alzheimer's by Rose Lamatt.

So now I'm starting Challenger: An American Tragedy: The Inside Story from Launch Control by Hugh Harris.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I find it hard to understand how you can read so many depressing books and remain so cheerful. I honestly don't know how you do it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There is much that is positive in hard situations. Hey, I hang out with cancer patients most days of the week and am so honored and inspired..

Just an odd duck, I guess?

And I like learning things..

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 9:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
SeaMonkey, it's being read by:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Newbern

He does a good job conveying Ove's crankyness! He uses an Indian accent for the neighbor, but not much of a Swedish accent.

I'm enjoying it.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Correction: the neighbor is Iranian, not a person from India.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Since a few people have mentioned it, I recently read The Girl on the Train. I don't think I can recommend it though.

I found it very interesting and intriguing at first. I also liked the way the author wrote from more than one first person perspective and jumped around in time. Unfortunately, it became disappointingly predictable as it progressed. Based on some other reviews, I was expecting some sort of an ingenious twist.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Gone Girl. Some interesting, severely flawed characters and quite unpredictable (to me anyway).

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I recently finished "An Engagement in Seattle" by Debbie Macomber. Light, fluffy romance.

I took about 15 books back to the library bookstore. Was disappointed though. Only found 2 books to try, and I may have already read one of them. Hopefully, I'll know when I start reading it.