TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 15, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 15, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I just finished Until I Say Goodbye.. she really packed in the joy as long as she could do it, she took her trips and did what was possible.

"That is the secret I learn more of every day. Not to want things I cannot have or cannot do.

Remove the want, and you remove the pain."

"Do not pine for things you cannot have, I thought, for that is the way to the loony bin"

Anyway, I'm glad I read the book and learned of her..

I looked online and she died at age 47, in June of 2014. Her book may become a movie.. it was bought for a large sum.

Her goal .. well she paid off the mortgage so her husband and three children wouldn't lose that, and set aside money for her daughter's wedding gown and so on..

Starting a memoir by a daughter of a mentally ill mother.. She's Not Herself by Linda Appleton Shapiro. I'm a bit afraid that after the last book being so well written, this could be a letdown.. hopefully not.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 23, 2015 - 5:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Not a letdown.. she also writes well.. and I had an afternoon and just kept reading and just now finished the book (lendable on Kindle, I think).

Starting another memoir, The Kindness of Strangers, Penniless Across America One man's journey from coast to coast, no promises, no guarantees, no money by Mike McIntyre, which I've been wanting to read.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Beautiful Ruins. Can you imagine sticking with a book for 15 years (that's how long it took him to write it)? I'm sure it was worth the wait since it made the NYT best-seller list in 2012.

Tonight I'm starting Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies by Chris Kluwe, the former Minnesota Vikings punter who is a great friend to the gay community and a staunch marriage-equality supporter. I forgot that I bought it months ago - it was buried in a stack of books I thought I had already read!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 24, 2015 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But how wonderful to find the book now and still get to read it!!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Kindness of Strangers, which I enjoyed, went to buy another of his books, found out I can borrow it as a Prime member,but that I had a book already borrowed that I have to read and return.

Not sure what is n ext.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So I am reading Michelle Knight's book now.

Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness: a Life Reclaimed.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 26, 2015 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished Orphan Train and loved it; trying to finish Wine of Angels on Kindle (enjoying it thoroughly, but too much school stuff) and am also listening to a collection of 3-4 Harry Bosch "shorts" on Audible. If it weren't for Audible, I'd only get to read 1/3 of the books I do now!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 26, 2015 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Michelle's book.. so sad, really.

Now reading a book by a man who suddenly was homeless .. he had a dog and a car.

Breakfast at Sally's: One Homeless Man's Inspirational Journey by Richard Lemieux.

(Sally's is homelessspeak for Salvation Army)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Recently finished a free book, "Mistress of the Empire" by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. It was okay for free. Slow going at first, but picked up. Apparently it's part of a series, but didn't like it enough to seek the other books out.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading Brooke Shields' book, There Was a Little Girl: The Real Story of My Mother and Me. So far, I am in her baby years and when she just started modeling.

I am also reading A Small Indiscretion by Jan Ellison. It's told as if the lead character is talking to her son, who has just been in an accident, and she is remembering what happened to lead them there. I like the style.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Oh dear, Heckagirl, lol. There's like a gazillion books in that series. Starts out with the Riftwar Saga, which is four books, then there's the Empire Trilogy. Mistress of the Empire is book #3 in that one.

I started reading them way back in high school (I graduated in '91 and I think the Riftwar Saga had been out 10 years or so by then) and have most of them in real book form. Got my hubby into them, too.

One thing to keep in mind if you ever read anymore...don't get attached to anyone. Feist kills off characters on a regular basis, usually horribly. I don't think half the characters who were in the first book of the Riftwar Saga made it to the last book of the saga alive, lol.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 10:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
New book: The Distance Between by Mike McIntyre.

Same guy who wrote The Kindness of Strangers.

Finished Breakfast at Sally's, about being homeless in Bremerton, Washington. which was very good.

Allietex

08-16-2002

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
Book 7 of Kevin Hearne's The Iron Druid Season: Shattered. Great fantasy series about the last Druid who is 2000 years old. One of my favorite characters is his talking hound dog.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Our library book club is reading One Plus One by Jojo Moyes. I borrowed the CD version to have hope of actually getting it completed by Feb. 14 (the next meeting), and I am enjoying it much more than I anticipated.

I am bugged beyond belief, though, by the fact that I cannot speed up the CD! LOL Whenever I listen on Audible, I set it to 1.5 (or once in a while 1.25). Listening at "normal" speed is a test of my patience! Fortunately, I'm listening to The Storied Life of AJ Fickry on my phone, so I can listen to that one at whatever speed I desire!

The CDs are only listened to in the car while I listen to my phone while getting ready in the mornings, so it seems a reasonable compromise.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 7:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished The Distance Between, now reading How Dogs Love Us: A Neuroscientist and His Adopted Dog Decode the Canine Brain, by Gregory Berns.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, February 06, 2015 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies and though quirky in spots, the overall collection of essays/stories was very good. Kluwe (heterosexual) is way more passionate about marriage equality than most of my gay comrades!

I next read one of the MUST-READS about marriage equality, Redeeming The Dream by David Boies and Ted Olson, the two attorneys who successfully argued on behalf of the plaintiffs in the Prop 8 case that was heard by the Supreme Court last year. Very, very well-written and a superb accounting of this critical piece of history.

I'm now reading We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas. I can't recall what motivated me to get it, but I'm loving it. It's 620 pages, but each page I've read thus far has been a pleasure (I'm 200 pages into it).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished How Dogs Love Us, which was interesting, probably not what most people would think.. lots of neurobiology and dog training. I had borrowed it on Kindle through Amazon's Prime Lending.. first book. Now I can return it and borrow another (if I didn't have hundreds of books already to read and adding almost daily to the "stack".

Started a sad memoir by the mom of a daughter who died due to brain injury falling off a horse (not the horse's fault; she and friends climbed into the pasture, drank wine, she and another young woman climbed onto the grazing horse and then someone slapped the horse, which reared up.. Swimming With Maya: A Mother's Story by Eleanor Vincent.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, February 06, 2015 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That must read sounds great, but $11.99.. I'll wait.. put it on my wish list, though.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
It's good to know you are loving We Are Not Ourselves. I have that on my Kindle.

I just finished I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. It's a YA novel about a set of twins who endure a rift between them when tragedy strikes. The boy Noah, is trying to find himself as a young gay male and is an artist who sees everything in colors. His twin Jude is a girl also just trying to find herself. Good book.

I just started Funny Girl by Nick Hornby. I love his books.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Swimming With Maya.

Starting yet another memoir, Altitude Adjustment: A Quest for Love. Home, and Meaning in the Grand Tetons by Mary Beth Baptiste.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Last night, I finished The Same Sky by Amanda Eyre Ward. Loved it! I have never not loved one of her books. Landi and I have started a review blog and here's my review.

http://oneblogtwobroads.com/2015/02/08/the-same-sky/

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished "The Extinction Event" by David Black. It was okay.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Finished The Storied Life of AJ Fickery and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm on the last CD of One Plus One, so I'll be starting Native Son. It will be my "book I started but never finished" for the Library's 2015 Reading Challenge.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed that memoir and this woman's love of the outdoors..

Then I read Kid Me Not which was a series of essays by women in their 60s who never had children and didn't regret it. Interesting.

And now I'm reading TheGood Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood which is non fiction and enjoyable so far. The couple who adopted the tiny pig (who grew) are both writers and the wife, who wrote the book, is a good writer. Sy Montgomery.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And I finished that.. on to the first in a series of memoirs by Savannah Grace, Sihpromatum: I Grew My Boobs in China.. a family goes backpacking for a year, much to the initial dismay of the young writer..