TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 22, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 22, 2015 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Robin's book, almost finished with Name All the Animals, barely starting Five Days at Memorial on the Kindle Fire.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 10:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Finished Name All the Animals, not much progress in Five Days and it is already so painful..

Another dead tree book to bookcross, Strong at the Broken Places,by Richard Cohen.. but re-reading it first.. it is very good, non fiction.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Forgive me for expressing my modern day book lingo ignorance, Sea, but what exactly is "another dead tree book to bookcross"? (keep in mind I am very much behind the times when it comes to new ways to read books).

I thought Five days at Memorial was excellent, but it was really rough, the subject matter I mean.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dead tree book = a book made of paper (not an ebook).

Bookcrossing.com is a free book sharing website, that tracks your free books as people read them and reshare them.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Ahhhh, thank you, Karuuna! I'm such a Luddite (but then somebody has to be, might as well be me).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 10, 2015 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh you are far from alone but it is just amazing.. I can remember when I had never seen a Kindle in the wild and on Kboards we would gleefully report a Kindle sighting and now I walk into a waiting room and there is such a variety of e readers, tablets, phones, etc., with people using them.

I'm glad I'm reading this book again.. Richard Cohen is a good writer and he is featuring five people, each fighting an illness or issue.. Richard, of course, is Meredith Viera's husband, who is living with MS and has battled cancer as well. He's also a distinguished journalist.

So he got to know and write about a woman with ALS, a man with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, a young woman with Crohn's, a college student with muscular dystrophy and a man with bipolar disorder..

Uncle Ricky, the books I bookcross are not new since I haven't bought many hardbacks or other books at all since I got my Kindle in 2008, I think it was, and I rarely know who picks up a book I leave (the books are registered at bookcrossing.com). Oddly, since I've recently been leaving books various places.. and no one has journalled any of them so far, one day recently I got a notice that one of my books had been journalled.. it was one I left at a hospital a year ago and the person said they really enjoyed it and talked of planning to leave it somewhere. But they didn't actually enter release notes, so I won't know where it went unless the next person journals it.

There are also bookrays and bookrings and I've read some books that way.. really fun, as you get on the list and when it is your turn, a book arrives and you let everyone know you got it and then read and mail it off to the next person. I've been in rings that literally circled the globe and you then see how each person reacted to the same book. I don't think I'm in an active bookring lately, but I do enjoy them.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
The Cohen book sounds very interesting.

I just finished The Other Story by Tatiana De Rosnay. She also wrote Sarah's Key, which I loved. This was a totally different story but also very good.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I also loved Sarah's Key..

I would be happy to send the Cohen book on if anyone is interested.. otherwise it will be set free around here.

Rainy Sunday here, so I am reading in bed, happy to have a day off.

About halfway through that book.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished the Cohen book.. good to refresh on how living with disability affects people and families.

I have another book I want to read before bookcrossing but for now I'm concentrating on Five Days at Memorial.. heartbreaking..

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Friday, January 16, 2015 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Thanks to a nasty cold that knocked me out for a few days, it took me nearly two weeks to finish The Russian Debutante's Handbook - very annoying (the cold, not the book). It was wildly quirky but extremely well-written. Shteyngart is a very talented writer -- I'll definitely read the three books that followed this one.

Very late to the party, but I found a copy of Gunn's Golden Rules by Tim Gunn at the library and am enjoying it. I can't imagine any true Project Runway fan not having read it already. One early detail revealed: Gunn loves to read (as all cool people must)!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 16, 2015 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So sorry you were sick enough to slow down your reading!!!

And indeed, I enjoyed Tim Gunn's book

Totally different person, but have you read Anderson Cooper's bio? That is one of a very few books I also "read" in the audio version since he did the reading himself. Loved it.

Oh and another totally different one.. Dolly Parton reading her bio.. complete with giggles and bits of song.

And E. B. White himself reading Charlotte's Web :-) That was nice.

I'm still immersed in the aftermath of Katrina. Memorial..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This book was tearing at me in so many ways I h ad to break a rule of mine and search online to see what happened to the targeted doctor..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Listened to Anderson Cooper's book quite a few years ago, but it WAS good! I finished listening to George Carlin's George Carlin Reads to You. Parts of it were hilarious - others just so-so. I'm listening to Orphan Train now.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Sea, I did the very same thing when I read Five Days at Memorial! The writer did a great job of making the reader care about that doctor - a less talented writer might've concentrated too much on sensationalizing the doctor's predicament.

Since you and Teach are so high on Gloria Vanderbilt's son's book, I must add it to my to-be-read list. (He and I, after all, are comrades in the fight for marriage equality!)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, January 17, 2015 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am not sure where my copy of the book is.. could be over the garage with thousands of books, or elsewhere. And the cds.. but if I run across them I'll post and if you want I could send them to you to borrow.

He certainly has had an interesting life and very different, but interesting parents.

And of course his brother :-(

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I finally am getting in a reading groove after everything that has happened in my life these past few months.

I finished Martin Short's book. I loved reading about SCTV. Martin Short seems like such a good guy. Very funny. But the best part of the book was the love he had for his wife, very touching.

I also finished Girl on the Train by Paula Dawkins. Finished it in one sitting. If you like an unreliable narrator, you will love this book.

I started reading Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. It's been on my TBR shelf for so long and now that I've started it, I wonder why I waited so long. Had me from the first page.

I also am starting Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper. It might be hard for me to read with the storyline having to do with Etta's fading memory as she walks to the ocean, which she's never seen, with a coyote named James. Interesting.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Hi Mamie---Hugs to you!

I just read The Girl on the Train too.

I've had a head cold/ear infection from hell for over a week. I was happy to be able and finally try and read Friday night as my head wasn't pounding so bad. I started The Girl on the Train and got sucked right in. I woke up yesterday excited to get back to the story and my head (and migraine-eye, as I call it) started to hurt pretty bad. I was like... nooooooooooooo!!! I took a painkiller and kept on reading as I had to know what happened. lol -- I finished it around noon. Yay! I did guess the killer about half-way through tho.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I finished Revival by Stephen King this weekend and it was a good winter's night read! I am not soo sure about the ending...http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20926278-revival

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Rieann, there was a conversation between a couple that led me to figure out who the killer was too but it didn't distract from the story at all.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, January 18, 2015 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I just got around to reading The Joyous Season by Patrick Dennis. It was fun.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Oh Mak1, The Joyous Season is one of my all time faves! I still laugh whenever I re-read it! Glad you liked it too.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Finished the Tim Gunn book and was only sorry that it was so short. That story about Anna Wintour being carried down the stairs was hysterical.

I've now moved on to Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. I'm not familiar with his work, but a co-worker raved and raved about it and begged me to read it, so I'm reading it mostly to get her off my back!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
For cripes sake, Cablejockey, how could you not laugh? LOL!

I'm starting chapter 2 of Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. The first chapter didn't grab me, but I expect to like it when I get further into it. Maybe I was just too tired to pay attention to it today.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I finished Five Days and Memorial and would like for my doctor to discuss it.. in terms of the disaster plans locally...

Reading a memoir by a woman with ALS who was determined to live every day, including taking trips as long as she was able, one with each child, with her husband, with her best friend..

Until I Say Good-Bye: A book about living by Susan Spencer-Wendel and Bret Witter.

She also was adopted and is contacted by her birth mom (some of this is prior to Dx, some after), then finds out her birth father was Greek (her adoptive mother is Greek and was upset that the daughter didn't look Greek).. the father has passed away but she meets up with his family.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm reading the Will Robie series by Baldacci (who I'm reading for the first time). I thought the first book The Innocent started out slow but then really picked up and so I'm on to the second book The Hit. We'll see if I enjoy it as much.

It's about a CIA hitman who's slowly developing a heart (or at least that's how I see it) which he feels isn't good for the job considering a hitman needs to be completely cold blooded so he's fighting it. He meets two characters in the first book that bring out a caring side in him and I hope they continue to be there throughout the series. It's still too early for me to know yet.