TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 01, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: How are you reading it (reading on various devices)?: Archive through February 01, 2014 users admin

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Bookgorilla.com is like bookbub.com but I seem to get better selections from it. It also only sends one e-mail a day and you can choose the type of suggestions you want.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 05, 2013 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Check the other reading thread for link to Goldfinch for @1.79 through BookGorilla.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I have a question about Kindle Fire. I have had Kindles in the past, but lately, I have just been reading library book loans on my iPad.
I got my mom a Kindle Fire for Christmas. They don't seem to have many books on loan in kindle format from our library, but they do have the option of "reading it in your browser". So I showed her how to do that.
The problem is that when she goes to other windows (while keeping that window open) when she comes back to the book, it always wants to start at the beginning again. Is there a way when reading it in the browser that it bookmarks where you left off? Some of the time, it does keep it at the exact spot. Not sure why sometimes it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas what might be up with that?
Anything she downloads as a Kindle format, always remembers the bookmark place just fine.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've never read a book using the browser, but seems strange not to have a bookmark function.

You might ask on Kboards.com where there are so many readers, most of whom have Kindles and should know about the browser functions .. they are really amazing with answers to questions, for the most part.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Is it set up to do "private" browsing? If so, it's clearing the cache/cookies. If it's NOT on private browsing, it should remember where it's at.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ha! I never would have t thought of that..

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I am not sure of the setting but will check it. Asking at the kindle boards is a good idea, too. Thanks Seamonkey and Teach!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hope it works! I just know that both my Iphone and my PC are set up so my browser is always in "private" mode. That can make a few things more difficult, and I'd think reading online would be one of them. :-)

Taysmomcj

03-24-2008

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Taysmomcj a private message Print Post    
Question... I am thinking about getting Tay a Kindle or like device for her birthday coming up. Does anyone know which sites are best for books that are geared towards middle school age kids?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 8:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Amazon not only lets you search by children's book but also by age groups. Then, frequently, there are library journal or book reviews from credible library magazines.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
My 10 year old niece, the big reader (kid anyway) in our family, has a kindle and we can always find books on Amazon for her. I don't know about the other devices though and how they compare for books. She's an advanced reader, about middle school level, and about the only thing we have a problem with is finding books that the subject matter isn't too grown up for her. She's more into sports right now than boys, more into fantasy (kid after my own heart, lol,) that middle school drama. Er, does that make sense?

Taysmomcj

03-24-2008

Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Taysmomcj a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Tons of people on Kboards have kids with kindles.... all the way back to the first one and up through the old and new and newer kindle Fires.

And lots of books for kids for sure.

Wonderful gift..

Taysmomcj

03-24-2008

Friday, January 31, 2014 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Taysmomcj a private message Print Post    
So here's another question... which is better:
Kindle Fire HD
Nook Color
or.... something else

I don't want anything Apple, but I'm not sure which way to go. Don't really want to spend anymore than necessary, considering we have to get a cover and books too. Is there one that stands out better than another? Can you still download apps on the non-kindle versions?

Sorry I have so many questions.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 31, 2014 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I would go to both the nook store (bn.com?) and the Kindle store (Amazon.com) and see what is there.. or start with a list of books she likes and look them up in both places to see who has more, or better prices or so on.

I'm firmly on Team Amazon for so many reasons but that is what I've experienced.

On kboards.com.. of course there are gazillions of kindle owners but also a fair number who have had Nooks and other tablets and devices (lots with ipads too) who could give you pros and cons.

When Nook started, Barnes & Noble would claim to have more titles but it turned out they were including all the public domain books IN their totals and excluding them from Amazon's, so that was bogus. but they each have huge inventories, plus there are many libraries and other outlets for books as well.

The HDX is the latest and greatest from Amazon for Fires..

OH, and I know you can use a Nook App on Kindles and I think an Amazon app on Nooks. I think..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, January 31, 2014 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
http://www.kboards.com/index.php#1 down at the bottom shows areas for other devices.. and of course all the areas for e ink kindles and Fires.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, January 31, 2014 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Customer Service, from what I've heard from both camps, is much better through Amazon. Personally, I've had fabulous customer service for the couple times I had questions about my Kindle, and I wouldn't change to Nook for anything. Then again, even in "dead tree books," I find Amazon cheaper than B&N.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Okay, I'm confused.

I had one of the first generation Kindles, and I had downloaded TONS of free books. I had two collections, Read and unread. Pretty simple.

My DS bought me a Fire for Christmas, and now all my books show up in the cloud, but I have no way of knowing what's read and unread from my previous kindle.

Is the only solution to download all of them again, and then use the lists on the old Kindle to sort them all again? (It's a lot of books!)

Thanks for any help!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I've never transferred between Kindles, but I thought folders/collections were specific to the device - and not in the cloud. However, a quick look on Amazon turned this up: Collections are stored on Amazon: "When you create a collection on a device, we'll save your collection so it appears in Archived Items on other devices registered to your Amazon.com account. This allows you to transfer collections across registered Kindles."

Under that it says, "To import a collection from another Kindle:

Select "Archived Items" from the Kindle Home screen.
Select "Add Other Device Collections" from the Archived Items page.
Select the desired collection to import and select "ok" to confirm.

Note: Importing a collection from another device does not import the books or other items to your Kindle if they aren't downloaded already. However, books already on your Kindle that are associated with a collection will automatically appear under that collection name on your Home screen."

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So... I have to redownload everything first? I'll try that.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
It looks like it. Once they're downloaded, it looks like the collection part/dividing them up will be done easily. Too bad there isn't a "download all" button!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You can have your collection in the cloud and you can go from your Fire.. click on Books and then there are books in the Cloud and books On Device. (Books On Device would still be in the cloud)..

I just tried with a book only in the cloud.. press on the cover and it gives options and one is Add to Collection. Tap that choice and if the book is already IN a collection, it will show that, it will give you choices of existing collections you may have, or the option to create a new one. You can select all collections you want for that book. And you don't have to move that book to your Fire, unless you want it to be there.

Kar, you don't have to redownload!!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Huh, when I tap on a book in the cloud, it immediately puts in a download queue, what am I doing wrong?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You have to press on it, as opposed to tapping. At least I think this works on all Fires. It
works on my HDX. (sometimes the wrong press becomes a tap, but usually it works okay.. I'm going to check on my HD.. but you may have an HDX anyway.)

Well I don't see the collection feature on my HD.. I really thought it was on that model.

So, IF you have an HDX what I said is true.. at least I am not seeing right away that my HD needs an update. When I just press on a book only in the cloud in the HD it does give the option to download or to be a favorite, but no collection..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, February 01, 2014 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OK, I went to Kboards and there is a thread..

http://tinyurl.com/kgcedna

and the deal is that the following devices have the collection feature.. in the cloud..

Kindle Fire HD 2013 model (not the older HD models like mine, or the original Fires)

all the HDX models of Fires

the 2013 Paperwhite 2

Kindle for iOS app

Kindle for Android app