TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 09, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: The Library: Let's share...what are you reading????: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 09, 2014 users admin

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I'm reading While We Were Watching Downton Abbey by Wendy Wax. I am enjoying the book and the references to DA. You don't need to have ever seen DA to enjoy the book.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 5:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I'm currently listening to Hamlet, Prince of Denmark: A Novel, written by A. J. Hartley and David Hewson.

It is a great take on the classic... making it more accessible for Shakespeare dolts like myself. It is narrated by Richard Armitage whose silky deep voice and performance are exquisite. I'll have to listen to the authors take on Macbeth, narrated by Alan Cumming (love him), next.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Hamlet-Prince-of-Denmark-A-Novel-Audiobook/B00IRH50GM

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I needed to cancel my Audible to get caught up, but I had a balance, so yesterday I purchased The Fault in Our Stars (Yes, I am probably the only HS English teacher in the country who has NOT read this!), and I was able to get the Kindle and Audible versions of another Wallander novel. It was cheaper to get the Kindle AND Audible than to just get the Audible - so who am I to argue with the bottom line. :-)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I liked The Fault in Our Stars, maybe because I also read the non fiction book about a girl who was supported by her online friends, including the author of fault.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
This Star Won't Go Out.. about a real girl, Esther Grace Earl.

Teach, your students who love or like The Fault in Our Stars should read about Esther Grace.. of course it is real and less romantic but an amazing story.

The author of Fault claims he did not base his character on Esther Grace Earl, but it is hard not to this it is the case.

++++

I finished the book by Sharon Tate's niece and her partner, which included journals of Sharon's mother, Doris, sister and father. It was better than I had anticipated.

Starting The Book Thief now.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the recommendation, Sea. I'll pass the info along to my readers. Hope you enjoy The Book Thief as much as I did. It uses such an interesting perspective from which to tell a story.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Luvmom, 13th and final book, 12 was the Undead Pool. And she has the third chapter of the last book out???? The first two chapters were killer, does the third leave you hanging, too? Hehe, I finished my latest reread of the Hollows last month when the 12th came out, Darren's now on book 10 (and that's his second or third reread.) Totally awesome series, though I can say, while excited, I'm not looking forward to the next one, lol. I'm crushed it will be the last one!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Teach, yes, it is a different perspective, but interesting, though I'm dreading what will happen.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, June 02, 2014 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I finished Original Sin and found it much more compelling than most of the other stuff I've read by P.D. James (still too long, though).

I next read Harlan Coben's latest, Missing You, and was very pleasantly surprised. It was exceptionally thrilling and definitely one of the best he's ever written (and I've read all of his past books). Anyone who reads this thing will NOT be disappointed -- I guarantee it!

I'm now devouring The Accident by Linwood Barclay. He's not written a bomb yet and I'll be shocked if this one turns out to be a dud.

Luvmom

10-17-2000

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Luvmom a private message Print Post    
OOps Wargod lol Yes 13th. I miss counted and yes the 3rd chapter is out and so good!! I am so crushed I wont be able to read about Jenks,Ivy, Trent or Rachel anymore :-( I'll even miss Quen and Al. lol
Everytime I have a sneezing fit I think to look for a mirror now. My girls think I'm a little nuts lol

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finished Lost Souls and it definitely leaves you hanging for book 5. I don't have it, so will have to look for it.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
LOL Luvmom, you should try tossing out some of Jenk's curses in public. Darren and I have a list of our favorites from different books. I'm really going to miss the Hollows, there's not a lot of series as thourough and well thought out in the UF catagory. They're just all kinds of fun.

Luvmom

10-17-2000

Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 5:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Luvmom a private message Print Post    
I fully agree Wargod :-)

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I really liked Missing You too.

I am reading The Possibilities by Kaui Hart Hemmings. She also wrote The Descendants. Written really well.

I just finished Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller. Loved that it was such a different formula than most of her books.

I am also reading The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman. Loving that one as well.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
I am reading "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou...unbelievable story of where she came from.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Saturday, June 07, 2014 - 12:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
Glad you liked Missing You, Mamie - so, so good!

Finished The Accident and even though I enjoyed it, compared with Barclay's other stuff I've read, the plot could have been a little beefier. Still, Barclay is about as flawless as they come in the thriller genre.

Now reading Gods Like Us: On Movie Stardom and Modern Fame by Ty Burr, which explores the culture of celebrity in the film industry over the years.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, June 07, 2014 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
I've added Missing You to my reading list. I always enjoy Harlan Coben.

Uncle Ricky, I still have Bad Move sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I think it has been there for a year. :-( I need to get to it! I know I will enjoy Barclay based upon your rave reviews. :-)

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
I hope you enjoy both of them as much as I did, Rieann!

Thinking back to how much I enjoyed Bad Move, I'm reminded abut how sweet and charming it was. It had so many little funny scenes that were totally lacking in the more modern The Accident of 2011, which was 100% serious, i.e., there was not a single funny line in it. (But it's still very much a worthwhile read.)

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ack - I NEED to finish a book! I'm listening to Echo in the Bone (Gabaldon) AND Wallander: Faceless Killers while reading The Secret History AND Flowers in the Attic. One of the audios and one of the Kindles are on loan from the library, so I'm under a time crunch.

I'm hoping to finish Wallander and Flowers by Tuesday or Wednesday, but then the new Gabaldon will be out, so then I'm just going to drop everything and read and read and read -- except for that whole job at school stuff....

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Well dang, Teach, isn't having a new book coming out that you've been waiting to read a valid excuse for calling in sick??? If it's not, it certainly should be!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I suspect that even if sick, Teach would have those papers to grade..

I finished The Book Thief, admiring the book but so sad, of course, almost wished the last part to be longer, for the happy part of life.

Starting a book I just got, The Art Forger by B A Shapiro.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 5:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Calling in sick during final exams could be tricky! LOL I made it through over half of Flowers in the Attic last night, so I'll be close to finishing it tomorrow. I'll listen to Echo tomorrow until I finish it, so then I can start the new Gabaldon on Wednesday. :-)

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Dang, they should come up with a new policy, lol. Don't they realize what it's like waiting and waiting for a new book? Priorities should be rearranged! I'm waiting on a handful of books to come out in July and one in August...if I could arrange to lock myself in a room for a week, I'd be a happy camper. However, the kids like to eat, lol.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
WARGOD, darn those hungry kids!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, June 09, 2014 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
LOL - War, you GET it! It would have been PERFECT as tomorrow would have been the last teacher day, but we had 11 snow days this year, so two days were tacked on to the year.... that means I'm not FREE until Friday!